2024 LC Thread #1 - Elder Fraud Advice

Brett Favre claims he has Parkinson’s at a hearing about him stealing welfare money

1 Like

3 Likes

Quantum Fiber and YouTube TV comes in about $30/month cheaper than cable for me, and that’s with better internet and a comparable channel line up.

@akm that was weirdly true of cable, too, so I’m not feeling too bad about that. The delay doesn’t seem to be any worse.

2 Likes

Isn’t capitalism awesome?

I wonder if this is scam related somehow - I’ve gotten two emails in the last few days from Microsoft, which are legit, saying that random people I’ve never heard of have “joined my family” as if I was adding a kid’s email account to my Xbox or something.

Currently trying to do an identity verification and he doesn’t know the answer to a mortgage loan that closed at a certain time, because he doesn’t know which of his SIX refi’s that would be, and can’t remember all the companies they had mortgage loans from.

I knew there were a few, but holy :harold:.

I assume this is the first step of the Kamala/Gates plan to let migrants move into your house.

2 Likes

Looking into this more, I think it’s that

• my account did get accessed and put on their family system, and my MS account didn’t have a strong password so I guess that’s not a shocker
  • adding family members is a potential vector for scammers to charge stuff to the main person’s card, but fortunately I didn’t have a card associated with the account, so I guess they were just fishing for one

Terrifying. Just found another account that was compromised, nothing stolen (probably wasn’t enough in there for them to waste their time on), but the fact that I’ve been spending 12-15 hours a day on this since Saturday and just found another one today is allll the :harold:.

1 Like

Were you able to stop a catastrophe from happening with the 401k account?

Yes, for now. Emphasis on the short-term. Trying to get something legal set up, but I’m getting rough ballpark quotes of $3K to $9K, and the entire account is a little over $100K so that seems very expensive - and they can’t give a firm quote without paying for a consult. $3K sounds high-end reasonable, I assume this is kind of advise us on the direction to go, boilerplate, tweak it, insert account info, everyone signs.

@riverman You mentioned how shitty the options are for middle class/poor people, so I assume you’ve dealt with it or talked to someone who has. Running into that shittiness directly now. No clue what the right ballpark is for how much this legal work should cost, any idea?

Like, would it be insane to just LegalZoom a Power of Attorney, then move all the significant amounts of money to new accounts that they don’t know any account numbers or logins for all running through my contact info? No deception involved here, I’d have their blessing. That should prevent them from being capable of getting scammed for more than is in their checking account and I could manage it to keep that balance < 1 months expenses.

I know nothing about anything, but that doesn’t sound insane to me. Not even sure you need the power of attorney since they’ll sign whatever you want. Only place it gets tricky is if a dispute arises between y’all.

My main thinking with the POA is since I can only fully isolate the 401k from them knowing account details, they can still get scammed out of their monthly fixed income and a little cushion that’ll be in their banking accounts. But if I have POA and I realize they’re on a 4 hour long call with Sergei in a Siberian call center, POA allows me to call their bank on their behalf and freeze all transactions.

I bet chatgpt knows how to make documents

That makes sense.

Still trying to figure out what app I can put on their phone that will notify me when they have a call over an hour, have more than 2 calls in a row with the same number, etc, and tell me the number. I can put that on myself while I’m here, and they’re pretty shook at this point by the whole thing so they’ll be fine with it. But so far, haven’t found anything that isn’t pretty expensive (several hundo a year).

The reason for a POA now is if they get legitimately mentally disabled later on you’re not going to be able to get them to just execute a POA then and things get messier.

1 Like

Can’t you just set their phones up to block incoming calls that aren’t in their phone book?