2024 LC Thread #1 - Elder Fraud Advice

I’ve used goggles4u and Zenni. I would recommend Zenni but haven’t bought glasses since 2020 so no idea if they’ve changed

None of the money I spend on lenses is going to the inventors of this technology.

And it’s an industry somewhat comparable to diamonds in that there is a massive monopoly with massive pointless markups and a whole societal system supporting it. Vision insurance should not even be a thing, the eye exam and prescription should be covered by health insurance and the rest of it should be relentlessly commoditized by market forces, but it’s not.

The whole system feels crazy and the people working in optical stores feel like sleazy salesmen, in every one I’ve ever been in.

1 Like

I don’t remember the last time I bothered using insurance for glasses. The exam’s are like $30 and the frames that insurance will pay for look like they were custom built for incells. I was very happy when I heard Costco does progressive lenses and my glasses when from 1,000 to 300.

Guess it’s just hard for me to get rustled over an occasional expenditure, but these days there so many options if you looking to get a deal though. I’ve gone to same place for like 25 years and it’s been same doctor and 2 employees, I’m sure they adding expense to things but I kind of like fact a receptionist can afford to live in a decent area from our patronage

And you don’t use insurance for that? Maybe I’ve been lucky but everywhere I’ve worked the cost of vision insurance has been, like, a few bucks a month, and iirc that covers a yearly exam, lenses with a small co-pay, and a big yearly discount on frames.

Antivaxxers: I reject this newfangled “Science!” (Vaccine Science is 300 years old);
Flat Earthers; I reject this newfangled “Science!” (700 years old)
Anti-eyeglassers: I reject this newfangled “Science!” (900 years old)

No way. 39dollarglasses.com for the win. They were great. I can’t use them anymore though because I need bifocals/transitions, and that shit needs to be fitted better.

The greenhouse effect was first proposed way back in 1824

History of climate change science - Wikipedia

The first man-made device to break the sound barrier was invented 5,000 years ago.

Some kind of explosive? Or a whip?

Yup, that.

a dad sneezing, circa 25,000 BCE

1 Like

Nitpick: (2000+ years old)

1 Like

I stand corrected.

Sorry, I wasn’t clear. Insurance would pay a couple hundred total, it wasn’t worth the pita making a claim was.

Instead of cheapo glasses, what are my options if I want high-end frames? I don’t mean Luxxotica overpriced rayban frames, what’s the actual good shit?

good ole mr. rayban has been good to me, although this latest pair i bent a bit pretty early :harold:

I stay in the 150-250 frame range and get new ones when the lenses are scratches to shit or the inevitable joint screw thing falls out and apparently that’s unfixable.

1. Find frames that you like online or in store
  2. Google that shit. Someone is probably selling it on ebay brand new or less than 50%. Sometimes a lot less. Also lots of other options besides ebay.
  3. Buy frames online
  4. Take frame and prescirption to costco and have them make your glasses (they charge about $50 for this, IIRC, but still you come out way ahead ).

EZ game. Not as cheap as zenni, but this is good if you want higher end frames. And Costco obviously is gonna use primo shit for the lenses.

Go to any optometrist that isn’t in a mall and you’ll see expensive frames, although I think they are all made by the same three companies or something so short of obviously expensive materials like titanium there may not be as much correlation between cost and quality that you’d like. My expensive frames were from Europtics.