2024 LC Thread #1 - Elder Fraud Advice

Grew up in Cleveland and never for a moment considered that I wasn’t in the midwest.

4 Likes

Yeah Spokane is definitely not the Palouse but it’s more like Pullman than Seattle. I think you’re right there’s a cultural element.

Go Cougs! I’m headed back up in a couple of weeks for Family Weekend, super excited. He’s loving it so far.

1 Like

OFC Cleveland is Midwest, what else would it be?

1 Like

yeah cleveland is the capital of the midwest

1 Like

That’s definitely Chicago. And if it isn’t Chicago it’s Milwaukee or Minneapolis.

2 Likes

Chicago is the big city of the Midwest. Minneapolis and Madison are the best cities to live in/visit in the Midwest.

Milwaukee, Detroit, Cleveland all have the same issue at some level. Former great industrial cities that are declining due to white flight and the decline in US industrial/manufacturing jobs.

Yeah Kentucky as a whole just doesn’t really fit one category. Northern Kentucky is basically a suburb of Cincinnati. Southern Kentucky is definitely the south. Eastern Kentucky is definitely Appalachia.

2 Likes

They don’t call it a border state for nothing.

Yeah Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh and Buffalo (Erie, Toledo, Rochester…) are their own thing. (Rust belt or great lakes if you wish) They are either all Midwest or none IMO.

i dunno man. I’m from detroit it’s 100% midwest. Pittsburgh can say whatever they want, but detroit is midwest.

eta: ‘from detroit’ is used a little loosely here, but it’s still the same county

1 Like

Yeah I think Detroit and the rest of Michigan is definitely part of the midwest.

1 Like

Yeah my point is if so, Pittsburgh and Buffalo are the closest comp cities to Detroit and Cleveland so they should obviously be Midwest too, unless you’re a geographic purist

A city can be both Rust Belt and Midwest, it doesn’t have to be one or the other.

2 Likes

Agreed I think the rust belt is basically Chicago and everything east of it until you hit the very defined East Coast. There are significant similarities and overlaps between the rust belt and the midwest. Buffalo definitely has more in common with Milwaukee than it does NYC.

Midwest is a geographical term.

I feel like the Rust Belt is the purest form of the Midwest, declining cities that peaked many many decades ago.

Geographic Purist, State of Mind Purist: Indianapolis is Midwest
Geographic Purist, State of Mind Neutral: Lincoln is Midwest
Geographic Purist, Stare of Mind Rebel: Branson is midwest
Geographic Neutral, State of Mind Purist: Buffalo is Midwest
Geographic Neutral, State of Mind Neutral: Louisville is Midwest
Geographic Neutral, State of Mind Rebel: Oklahoma City is Midwest
Geographic Rebel, State of Mind Purist: Manchester, England is Midwest
Geographic Rebel, State of Mind Neutral: Cologne, Germany is Midwest
Geographic Rebel, State of Mind Rebel: NYC is Midwest

Sorry if this is horrible, I’m bored

3 Likes

Lotta Midwest talk with no mention of St. Louis, the capital of the Midwest.

Although they call themselves the gateway to the west so I dunno?

St. Louis is Midwest, but it’s not the capital of the Midwest, that’s Chicago.

2 Likes