2024 PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION: Kamala Got Her Vibes Back With a Miller High Life

Lot of free money here if you believe that.

1 Like

Taking all my will not to log back on to PI and back the truck up voting against Michelle.

1 Like

Why do you hate money?

1 Like

President Biden has told a key ally that he knows he may not be able to salvage his candidacy if he cannot convince the public in the coming days that he is up for the job after a disastrous debate performance last week.

The president, who the ally emphasized is still deeply in the fight for re-election, understands that his next few appearances heading into the holiday weekend — including an interview scheduled for Friday with George Stephanopoulos of ABC News and campaign stops in Pennsylvania and Wisconsin — must go well.

“He knows if he has two more events like that, we’re in a different place” by the end of the weekend, said the ally, referring to Mr. Biden’s halting and unfocused performance in the debate. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss a sensitive situation.

1 Like

A big part of my frustration is this

https://x.com/whstancil/status/1808523273874870296?s=46&t=N0_fcOKIYYmlCS2e4YShsQ

2 Likes

It’s just a downstream effect of the inherent weakness of being the party that is more like to try to “do the right thing” compared to the party who does absolutely any and everything for power. Kind of like gerrymandering. It’s inherently weaker to be the party who has moral qualms about anything.

Lot of Ds genuinely think it would be bad to run a president who fitness waning quickly, Rs would just circle the wagons

2 Likes

Trump is an unabashed and unapologetic advocate and avatar for white supremacy in a white majority country, that is his “strength” in American electoral politics. What he can “get away with” is wholly irrelevant for anyone not playing that game.

1 Like

This is basically just the fallacy of, “our star quarterback being hurt doesn’t affect our win %, because THEIR star quarterback is hurt too”.

Like yes, it should be an election-losing liability for a major party’s nominee to be seen as generally unfit to hold office. The fact that both parties find themselves in that situation isn’t an argument for inaction.

1 Like

For the eloquent explanation of this reality, see below:

1 Like

Like yes, there’s an asymmetry here in the way the GOP and Dem bases feel about the electability concerns of their candidates as there should be.

The electability concerns of Trump are tightly wrapped up in his appeal to his voters. They would rather have a 40% shot at Trump than a 70% at Haley. They want the cruelty, the lawlessness, and vengeance.

But the whole point of the Democratic candidate is simply to beat Trump. We don’t want Biden for Biden’s sake.

1 Like

Another way to put this is that for a majority of R voters, the relevant alternative to Trump is not Nikki Haley, it’s David Duke and his ilk. And judged by that standard, Trump is very competent, polished and effective for the job at hand.

1 Like

To keep the analogy going:

(LOL Nate, but he’s right here)

https://x.com/natesilver538/status/1806782217575887216

2 Likes

Yes. I am sympathetic to the argument that VPs are rarely chosen as an assumed successor, but that’s in better circumstances when POTUS is seen as competent and likely to remain so for the duration of their terms. That’s no longer the case, making the assumed question whether Biden would be able to finish a second term, and if not, whether we are confident in his VPs ability to assume command.

No it’s not. In this analogy, the republicans play defense and democrats dont

1 Like

This is the most wrong sports take in the history of sports takes, and makes me question if you’ve ever been in or seen an argument on a qb controversy

1 Like

What is Will Stancil saying and who is he? Why are liberals to blame for the media narrative? Liberals think Trump is immune to swing voter skepticism? wut?

1 Like

I think the idea that if we all agree to sweep this under the rug it will go away is incredibly naïve. People are rightly making a big deal because there is a very limited window in which to act if we need to change course. And it is now the both debate and subsequent actions. Biden could seize the narrative and dispell this line of thinking through his actions but he is not able to do it. The fact that he is not out there doing it is confirmation that it wasn’t one bad night.

1 Like

He’s saying that Republican have either agreed to not care or genuinely do not care about Trump’s electability concerns with “swing voters”. Consequently, this takes all the air out of any media narrative about his electability concerns with swing voters. Swing voters then never have a chance to see any negative headlines about how people like them are down on Trump. He believes that liberals should replicate that strategy. Also, CN thinks this is a good take.

2 Likes

Stancils frustration, which I share, is that more Democrats have called on Biden to resign than Trump. He believes, as do I, that this creates a massive problem.

You say something like this can’t be pushed aside, but republicans push worse away every other week by coalescing and refusing to be victims to a narrative

1 Like

This is the inherent disadvantage to giving a fuck about anything other than staying in power. I wish they would do this, but they seem wholly incapable of it.

2 Likes