Arguing about whether the economy is in fact good or bad

Your work/salary is the reason you are so deluded to the reality of the working class. It’s relevant.

As the child of a teacher, I will continue to focus on their situation. But if you’d rather hear about the wages of the funeral industry, I can go there too.

Except that I think that the working class conditions should be improved. None of this changes that things have significantly improved for the working class over the past four years or so, and by any sort of historical measure, things are good.

Again, just lazy

The majority of people under 40 think the economy sucks because…the New York Times is publishing shitty articles? (Honestly that middle headline doesn’t even sound bad)

Just lazy. Why aren’t these ungrateful teachers happy with their stock portfolios?

Well it can’t be because of their lived experience! They must just hate Will Stancil

Avg rent for an apartment in OKC is less than 1K per month (https://www.rentcafe.com/average-rent-market-trends/us/ok/oklahoma-city/).

LOL at thinking that a teacher making 40K can’t afford to pay 12K/yr for rent, and most OKC teachers make significantly more than 40K.

But tell us more about how being the child of a teacher gives you special insight into their current working conditions.

P.S. I’m the son of a bookkeeper and a clothing store salesman, and I’ve never made more than 65K/yr as a therapist. Of course, for the past 20 years I’ve almost continually held second jobs as either a landlord or a college instructor. But I wouldn’t expect a lazy person to understand this.

Do you mean like during the summer? Or during the school year also?

Quoted without comment.

1 Like

When you figure out who you’re arguing with lmk because it ain’t me

Anyways this discussion is a perfect example of anecdotes and crap data vs mainstream large scale data.

It always devolves into name calling, and it simply doesn’t have to. We get it, you want it to be better. We really want the same thing.

Finally, structuring an argument that appeals to leftists instead of the middle is moronic, and it won’t be done by biden

To me this is kind of direct evidence of why a lot of people look at the economy and think if this is as good as it gets then something must remain fundamentally broken.

In my mind in a country with as much wealth as US a PhD psychologist should easily have a city house, rural place to think deep thoughts and a month off in summer traveling the world. Instead the wealth is just getting vacuumed up by a couple dozen people to be enjoyed by nobody.

I realize that being a landlord requires work, sometimes a lot of work. However, I still think it is a bit weird to count it as a job.

Second jobs aren’t up and this kind of thing is often said without data to back it up

I didn’t say they were? I’m responding to fact a PhD therapist even would want to consider having second jobs at all.

I just think people who work for a living have our our sights way too low, IMHO you should be living on a massive estate with horse stables and a vineyard while flying your collection of planes on the weekend.

Aspiring for guillotines itt.

Hey if the rest of the country was enjoying the benefits of nationalized oil they may be more forgiving

Self-managing a 10-unit, low-income property is definitely a real job, despite it being a job I bought.

In that case, the job is building manger.

Landlord is the guy who cashes the checks. The landlord also would be responsible for hiring a building manager. In this case, it looks like the landlord hired himself.

Couple things here. First of all, while self-managing a 10-unit property is real work, it makes you a business owner so it’s not a job in the traditional sense.

Second, I have no clue how much money someone has to make right now to be able to buy a 10-unit property, but I’m confident it’s waaaaaaaaaaay more than $65K, or the inflation-adjusted equivalent of whatever $65K might have been worth if you bought it a while ago.

And that is somewhat connected to the main point here. It sounds like you worked hard and took on some risk and good for you, but I’m pretty confident that it’s borderline impossible for a younger version of you making the same inflation-adjusted money and with the same appetite for risk and same decision-making to make the moves you made and benefit accordingly.

Unless you were making $65K like 35 years ago when it was a like 2-3 times the median household income, this story only adds up to “hard work used to be rewarded way more than it is now.”

Almost everyone I know IRL who’s under 40 with a college degree, reasonable intelligence, reasonable ambition, and non-rich parents has 2-3 “side hustles” and none are actually getting ahead so far. Granted, they aren’t in finance or tech, so I guess they (and I) fucked that up when we were 18 picking a college major.

Here’s the thing. If you really want the big bucks in finance or tech you need to have more than reasonable intelligence or ambition. You need at least one, preferably both.

The guy that does tech support at Best Buy is definitely in tech, but I doubt he’s making a ton of money. Same for the manager of my local bank branch who is in finance. Most finance and tech is not Goldman and Google.