College Football - Ruh Roh NCAA?

Texas eliminating OSU to start the day is a good day

1 Like

Bama loss quality going up

Georgiaā€™s best win is probably @ Tenn. Missouri and Ole Miss are just slightly better in most models but the home/away flips the difficulty significantly. Averaged across models, those teams all slot in somewhere between 15th and 20th. So they are obviously quality wins, but the degree to which thatā€™s true is highly nonlinear and depends on perspective:

• For an average FBS team (think Illinois), sweeping would be massive given that itā€™s about 2.5 expected losses for such a team.

• For an ā€œaverageā€ Top 25 team (proxy: Oklahoma), those are still heavy lifts and big time wins, but should be u1.5 expected losses.

• For an ā€œeliteā€ team (top 4? 5? 8?), theyā€™re still quality wins but not nearly the risk taken by playing other elite teams. Itā€™s nonlinear and more dependent on where you draw the lines, but it should be around 0.75 expected losses for an ā€œaverageā€ elite team.

Notice that if an elite team plays another elite team, thatā€™s 0.5 expected losses by definition in the hypothetical model. So theyā€™d clearly take the worst of it scheduling two elite opponents and a cupcake compared to an elite team playing three quality opponents that slot into the bottom half of the top 25. Games played against teams outside the top ~40 are effectively fake matches given the implied win % quickly approaches 100% as the spread rises above 20 points.

Surely you can see how this leads to useless / uninterpretable definitions of strength of schedule. In the FEI model, an average FBS team would be expected to have 6.44 losses playing Michiganā€™s schedule (57th) and 6.55 losses playing Georgiaā€™s schedule (54th). An elite team would be expected to have 1.34 losses playing Michiganā€™s schedule (35th) and 0.75 losses playing Georgiaā€™s schedule (70th). Thatā€™s substantial given that this almost always comes down to losing one game or not. Georgia will narrow that gap after today but it doesnā€™t translate to strength of record unless they win.

You are looking at this logically

Just look at it like this

Committee isnā€™t leaving out a 12-1 SEC champ Bama that just beat Georgia who hasnā€™t lost in year

I understand why Texas should be in. Or FSU should be in

Itā€™s just not going to happen.

2 Likes

Like Bama goes out and wins 31-7

They are in

Alabama should absolutely be in if they win today on strength of record. The only ā€œcloseā€ call should be FSU / Texas who are statistically tied on SOR if both win. If their argument is UnDeFeAtEd then that means they donā€™t care about strength of record in which case the teams should be Washington, Michigan, FSU, Liberty.

Texas has basically the same SOR and beat bama

FSU is at 3, higher than both

Are you talking about right now? The only thing that matters is where they stand after today if all win. Alabama is clearly behind Texas and FSU at this exact moment but they get an SOR super boost 2x multiplier attempt in an hour that would put them significantly ahead of both.

Not in my model. Texas is currently slightly ahead but after today I have them virtually tied. Texas could change slightly based on Bama result I guess.

Washington
Michigan
Alabama
Texas/FSU

*Thatā€™s from binary win/loss only. Doesnā€™t include anything like MoV, game control, live win probability, retrospective power, prospective power. None of those things are really in FSUā€™s favor.

I really donā€™t give a shit about this game, but it absolutely sucks that weā€™re going to have to listen to Ikeā€™s try to claim this proves he was right

2 Likes

If Alabama wins, Texas deserves to be in over Alabama, but

1 Like

Bama employing the bend-but-eventually-break defense I see

Fucking Hulu has crashed twice during this game

1 Like

Geniuses at yahoo forgot that dark mode exists

Ah, major football games.

4th and 4, time out to think about it, commercials, come back, line up, try a hard count, timeout, commercials. 6+ minutes without a play.

Yessssss chaosss

We may actually find out who was right.

And 9 minutes with 1 play

This isnā€™t just major football games itā€™s every Michigan game all year

https://x.com/redditcfb/status/1731072902609719482?s=46&t=N0_fcOKIYYmlCS2e4YShsQ

Nah because your point is what the committee will do and my point is what is right.