COVID-19: Year 4 - You down with JN.1?

This is so fucked up

Honestly the only thing that made us feel more comfortable relaxing precautions was having COVID.

Is shitty that your reward for being careful for so long is to now have these tough decisions compared to folks who were yoloing from day one

2 Likes

Wasn’t there a recent report that vax does a good job of reducing long Covid?

I think it cut the risk by 40-50%. Which would make me feel pretty good if the risk was 10% but not great at 36%. There’s also some talk about long COVID resolving within a year for most people, if that turns out to be true that’d be huge for me feeling safe to come out from behind the mask. The combination of it being towards the low end, a 50% cut in that, and a 1 year cap on most long COVID cases would mean something like a 5% risk per year of long COVID lasting a year.

I’m so sorry that people hassle you. Effing crazy world we live in.

4 Likes

I know you linked it before but what’s the main studies you using for the long COVID stuff and 2nd infection outcomes?

Also,

U.S. officials declined to give details on the fresh intelligence and analysis that led the Energy Department to change its position.

Officials didn’t say if an unclassified version of the update would be issued.

Great job, guys. Real scientific to not show a shred of data.

1 Like

“Low confidence”

Wtf does that even mean?

I’m not sure why am the doe would have any more expertise than some other agency, and I don’t know why they are producing such a report at all.

Also not sure how you can overcome the data we have that shows two lineages of Covid in wuhan at the beginning of the outbreak

Why thr fuck is the DOE doing virology now? Get your shit together, Biden admin.

The lab leak (premium) episode of If Books Could Kill sure made it sound implausible.

1 Like

oh that’s spicy

the agency has considerable scientific expertise and oversees a network of U.S. national laboratories, some of which conduct advanced biological research

Nate’s tweet here is really incredible, like one government agency (out of many) is like “we think this with low confidence” and Nate’s like “oh no, what a huge embarrassing burn for all the scientists on the other side”, dude has a lot of Bari Weiss in him

2 Likes

Glen Keedwald running a victory lap here is so perfect. Suddenly we trust anonymous FBI/DoE deep state officials?

ofc all the other post-left dipshits are latchin on to this.

3 Likes

lol I saw Snowden write an angry tweet about “corporations censoring media” or something too

1 Like

So basically the Energy Department did the equivalent of shitposting in the UP Oranges of Covid thread.

1 Like

Maybe I’m confusing the two, but either way they suddenly become incredibly credulous about the narrative unnamed govt insiders are pitching.

1 Like

Hobbes has a thread here with some of the stuff they talked about on the show:

https://twitter.com/RottenInDenmark/status/1629916996300308481

One of the things they mentioned on the show that I haven’t otherwise seen discussed is around this:

https://twitter.com/RottenInDenmark/status/1629920783345786880

As Wikipedia notes:

Proponents of the lab leak theory typically omit to mention that most large Chinese cities have coronavirus research laboratories.

Talking about the Wuhan lab, people are like “what are the odds that COVID started in the city with China’s only super-duper virus lab?” But that’s very much a red herring - the super-duper labs are super-duper because they study shit that is more fatal than COVID, like ebola-type stuff:

Biosafety level 4 laboratories are used for diagnostic work and research on easily transmitted pathogens which can cause fatal disease. These include a number of viruses known to cause viral hemorrhagic fever such as Marburg virus, Ebola virus, Lassa virus, and Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever. Other pathogens handled at BSL-4 include Hendra virus, Nipah virus, and some flaviviruses. Additionally, poorly characterized pathogens which appear closely related to dangerous pathogens are often handled at this level until sufficient data are obtained either to confirm continued work at this level, or to permit working with them at a lower level.[19] This level is also used for work with Variola virus, the causative agent of smallpox, though this work is only performed at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta, United States, and the State Research Center of Virology and Biotechnology in Koltsovo, Russia.[24]

Labs studying coronaviruses are a lot more common and not unique to Wuhan. People saying that are amplifying an irrelevant fact about the lab to make the theory sound scarier.

Holy shit buried in the WSJ article is the line that the overall consensus from the government is that it was a natural crossover, but they chose to frame it as the DOE only. Fucking hacks.