COVID-19: Year 4 - You down with JN.1?

I think that’s probably fancy play syndrome. People worry too much about timing these shots IMO.

The protection definitely wanes hard about three months out. The main argument against timing them is people wait then forget to get one at all. For those of us who won’t do that, it makes sense to get one about 2 weeks before you need max protection, and have the 3 month window cover your highest risk.

I aim for 2 weeks before Thanksgiving and 2 weeks before the WSOP.

Also imo fall Moderna, spring Novavax is currently optimal.

1 Like

You’re not wrong, but, no doubt thanks to being repeatedly vaccinated, every bout of covid I’ve had has been milder or at least shorter than every other non-flu, non-covid respiratory infection I’ve had since the pandemic, and I’m hardly unique in that regard. Maybe if you’re someone who’s never had it and doesn’t know how their body will react, or if you know you get hit by covid badly, I can understand the extra caution, but I’m more worried about flu than covid at this point. I think for a lot of people, it’s not worth the extra effort to try to time your vaccination down to the ideal day when for most people at this point, we have a robust immune memory to respond to a covid infection such that they’re short and not threatening to hospitalize us, even if we do get infected. If you’re not masking up and reducing your presence in public places between now and whatever is your ideal covid vaccination date, you could still pretty easily be infected prior when an earlier shot would have helped more. Over-thinking things and getting fancy is not without its own risks, and there’s still plenty of protection to be had at Christmas from a shot now (not to mention the accumulated immune memory from past shots and infections that may not prevent infection entirely but do lessen the intensity of any infection that may occur).

Yeah, this is where I’m at. I just get the new one whenever it is available (and get a second shot about 6 months later).

Getting in metal tubes and flying 10,000 miles one way in November.

Yeah with my asthma it was really bad the first time. Also the cognitive impacts of long COVID are worth avoiding as much as possible, and we may have pan coronavirus nasal vaccines in the next couple years.

Or all vaccines may be outlawed in the US. We’re about 50/50 to either outcome right now.