Definitive All-Time Disney Original Song Bracket Battle: It's the Circle of Life

8 Seed: Un Poco Loco - Coco

vs

25 Seed: All for Love - The Three Musketeers

#8 Un Poco Loco - Coco vs. #17 All for Love - The Three Musketeers
  • #8 Un Poco Loco - Coco
  • #25 All for Love - The Three Musketeers
0 voters

9 Seed: Kiss the Girl - The Little Mermaid

vs

24 Seed: True Love’s Kiss - Enchanted

#9 Kiss the Girl - The Little Mermaid vs. #24 True Love’s Kiss - Enchanted
  • #9 Kiss the Girl - The Little Mermaid
  • #24 True Love’s Kiss - Enchanted
0 voters

love both tunes, but had to go with the more interesting musically

13 Seed: I Just Can’t Wait To Be King - The Lion King

vs

20 Seed: Whale of a Tale - 20000 Leagues Under the Sea

#13 I Just Can’t Wait To Be King - The Lion King vs. #20 Whale of a Tale - 20000 Leagues Under the Sea
  • #13 I Just Can’t Wait To Be King - The Lion King
  • #20 Whale of a Tale - 20000 Leagues Under the Sea
0 voters

12 Seed: In Summer - Frozen

vs

21 Seed: I See the Light - Tangled

#12 In Summer - Frozen vs. #21 I See the Light - Tangled
  • #12 In Summer - Frozen
  • #21 I See the Light - Tangled
0 voters

Beautiful. Most of these are incredibly boring (musically).

This one is fucking hard.

1 Like

This one is also hard, but three of you voted incorrectly in my humble opinion.

Which ones are the most musically interesting iyo

• You’ve Got a Friend In Me is too much of a classic. I probably go the other way if I hadn’t seen the movie.
  • This is Halloween easily.
  • Three Caballeros thing is barely a song. Moana in a romp.
  • Sorry, Owl City. You peaked with Carly Rae Jepsen.
  • Three Musketeers song isn’t bad, but I’ve heard it enough for several lifetimes.
  • Not really a big fan of either side of the Kiss derby.
  • WTF at a 13 seed for I Just Can’t Wait To Be King. This has S16 potential.
  • Going with In Summer, though it’s close.
1 Like

Agree with everything but this. Summer is a great song, but it’s the lowest tiered song of a movie that has incredible music. The Tangled Song is the best or second best one in that movie (I have a dream first I think). Tangled should inch it out IMO.

Hard disagree with your argument. This is to determine the best Disney songs of all time, and if they are all from one movie, so be it. No bonus points for being from a different movie.

I Just Can’t Wait only got one nom, so the highest I could seed it is the last 11 seed, which went to Hakuna Matata. It’s strong enough that I didn’t cast it into the depths of the random seeds, but I would be pretty surprised if it makes the Sweet 16.

From this round? The Randy Newman tune from Toy Story is deceptively complex and very interesting. I voted for “Have You Been To Baia, Donald?” but not sure if that should be considered a Disney song since it’s really just a translation of “VocĂȘ JĂĄ Foi Ă  Bahia?” The original recording in Portuguese was fantastic.

• “Have You Been to Bahia?” was written by Dorival Caymmi and was originally released in 1941. The song was translated into English with no major changes, other than replacing the word “nega” (a woman of African descent) with “Donald”, who the song is addressed to in the film. Parts of the song are still sung in its original Portuguese.
2 Likes

:harold:

I think we have different definitions of peaked.

1 Like

Maybe he means “peeked” and Owl City are actually a bunch of creeps?

Oooooh, Randy Neuman neck-and-neck with a dark horse pick from Hercules, did not see that coming.

Well, I also think “I see the light” is the better song, barely.

@MrWookie

I’m going to invoke Grammy parlance and ask if we are voting on a “record” or the “song” or what exactly? For instance, the original “Someday My Prince Will Come” is a nice song but the recorded performance from the original movie is brutal with that shrill vibrato that gives me major nails-on-chalkboard sensation.

1 Like

I’ve been voting thinking of the songs as they were in the movies