GOP Insanity Thread: holy crap there be consequences. Well at least until the appeal and maybe the election

Unfortunately Karl Rove isn’t even like top 100 of worst media/political figures anymore. These are the times we live in.

he’s definitely not in the top 100 in terms of sheer odiousness, but he’s probably top 10 for actual lifetime negative impact on society

1 Like

Fair point.

Yes. Rove. That guy that died young. Newt.

Matt Gaetz is … sponsoring a good idea??

1 Like

It’s a good idea overall but the subtext is that he has a bunch of goofy stunts he intends to pull on the floor and he wants the cameras to be right there capturing them.

1 Like

He’s probably going to try to pull goofy stunts either way so it’s better for everyone if C-SPAN is there to broadcast another one of these:

1 Like

yeah, im still IN

ah yes it’s so hard to “stand firm” or whatever, as we’ve seen Brett Kavanaugh has faced so many professional consequences for his federalist society membership

2 Likes

Hold up, I’m reading that the rules package says any one person can recall the speaker… and that includes democrats?

Incredible that she’s able to tackle all the most important issues on her very first day. I guess she’s done!

The focus on banning Tik-Tok really is odd, it seems like a mix of racism and lol olds. OTM had a good summary of this:

I think the recent anti-TikTok sentiment is less about the danger of viral social media challenges to impressionable teens and more about protecting American personal info from the Chinese government. I don’t know how legitimate these concerns are.

One of [the Executive Orders], titled the “Executive Order to Protect State Information and Communications Technology from the Influence of the Government of Foreign Adversaries,” will ban the Chinese-owned social media app from all state government devices.

“China is locked in economic, political, and military competition with the United States. It is a foreign adversary that presents serious challenges to our values, our security, and our economy,” the order stated, noting that the challenge China poses is “particularly acute” with respect to information technologies.

(Source - FoxNews)

I mean, I’m Pretty sure you can get my social security number for like 50 cents on the dark web so someone is going to need to explain what I should be scared of here.

1 Like

What will I do without the Arkansas public employees Tok? It’s like 80% of my fyp.

1 Like

There are probably valid privacy reasons to be skeptical of Tik-Tok but it’s not like these Boomers aren’t on Facebook on their iPhones blasting out personal info all day.

What is the threat supposed to be? The Chinese government monitoring your teenage daughter’s Tik-Tok dances? It just seems like a nebulous fear of foreigners and youth culture.

2 Likes

We have to assume that the Chinese government is able to insert spyware into the TikTok app. It makes sense to ban it from government devices.

If we’re being really honest, all social media should be banned from government devices unless your job literally involves social media.

2 Likes

Or: First they came for TikTok on my work device, and I said nothing, for I am not supposed to be using social media on my work device.

2 Likes