GOP Insanity Thread: a bunch of weirdos weirding out

https://x.com/JayinKyiv/status/1756372001378148547?s=20

https://x.com/Acyn/status/1756392268188320018?s=20

2 Likes

Chris Wallace off the top rope!

Didnā€™t see that coming, but I like it.

It gets worse ā€” he wasnā€™t even a migrant, heā€™s from the Bronx. So weā€™re at people getting beaten because they look like they arenā€™t ā€œfrom hereā€.

Surely some enterprising lawyer can represent this person for a large cash settlement.

https://x.com/dumbmailguy/status/1757117637866536961?s=46&t=XGja5BtSraUljl_WWUrIUg

Lol yeah, if you took that picture of those two people, and showed it to me, without me knowing who they were, and asked me who they voted for in 2020 Iā€™d be about 99.9 percent Trump, .1 percent Biden.

This is why I think the GOP is doomed tbqh. Iā€™m a soon to be 39 year old white male married business owner with a top 5% income who benefitted kind of a lot from the last round of GOP tax cutsā€¦ and Iā€™m not a Republican. I should be knocking on doors for the GOP based on my demographicsā€¦ and yet Iā€™m not and I know a ton of people a lot like me demographically who also are not.

The people in that picture are a white NFL player and a fucking billionaire and they are probably going to spend a meaningful amount of energy trying to prevent the GOP from winning anything in 2024.

It just seems to me like all the GOP has left are losers/morons. 35% of the population seems to really love what theyā€™re selling, but the rest of us are disgusted by that 35% and horrified by what happens when the GOP actually does win.

I look at the GOPā€™s actual actions and it looks like Tony Soprano busting out a sporting goods store not an institution that is trying to be viable long term.

If I was the GOP and I had totally lost checks notes Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce I would see that as a major catalyst for self examination and figuring out what I was doing wrong. That picture is conservative coded because those two people probably are conservatives for their age group. Theyā€™ve lost the actual conservatives at this point.

Eh. Should saving $10k/yr on taxes when you make $350k really be this much of a motivator ?

1 Like

Rich people donā€™t get rich by giving away 10k! They get rich by inheriting from their parents, ldo.

This is the standard way cults operate, they try to cut you off from mainstream pop culture and your family and keep you in a bubble. No more woke NFL, only Fox News and updates from Dear Leader.

2 Likes

It was more than that. I make the majority of my income through an S corp. The PPP money was good too if I was strictly repping my own interests.

But youā€™re absolutely right the macro conditions are more important to me than the tax rate ainecā€¦ and further consolidating big corporate power is not great for a big fish in a small pond.

They are far closer to one-party rule than ā€œdoomā€.

Eh, I think you underestimate the power of the most powerful force in American politics, racism. Youā€™re right that Republicans are losing upper middle class white people with their cultish obsession with Trump and overt racism. That kind of racism has gone out of fashion in that demo (reaping the benefits of the legacy of housing inequality and stuff like legacy college admissions are still cool), but youā€™re, like, what, 2.5% of the population or so? There are a lot more white people struggling to make ends meet on < $50k, and there always will be, and giving those people some other people to look down on is much more enticing than Medicare for All and not having a racial minority to blame for oneā€™s economic station.

I will always remember the contractor that was interviewed in ~2016. Trump cheated him out of 10s of thousands of dollars and he was still voting for him. Thereā€™s nothing you can do to reach these people. You canā€™t reason someone out of a position they havenā€™t reasoned themselves into.

2 Likes

That would would be a better binary choice than what we have now.

The problem is, the MAGA 35% (itā€™s probably more like 30-33% based on what Iā€™m about to say) is voting religiously when King Donald is on the ballot, and voter turnout was 66% in 2020 and 59% in 2016.

So when weā€™re seeing 52-48 or something, itā€™s really like 34-32 and 34% stayed home. When his MAGA people ALWAYS show up if heā€™s on the ballot, then weā€™ve got to get turnout of our base super high and turn out the independents/swing voters/people who forget what month the election is in and make sure the swing voters vote our way.

We made the trade over the last few cyclesā€¦ It used to be Republicans always voted and Democrats had more voters who showed up in presidential years. Now itā€™s Democrats crushing midterms with high information anti-Trump voters, and Republicans turning out the angry masses every four years. On top of the obvious problem, a lot of those high information anti-Trump voters are rich people who donā€™t want fascism, but they also donā€™t want higher taxes, so we have to make sure we donā€™t lose them back.

I think Trump drives turnout with the non derps too. Itā€™s a lot easier to be afraid of what would happen if you lost narrowly vs Trump than just about anyone. He basically promised to auction our European allies to themselves last week with Putin as the reserve price.

The totally unhinged shit absolutely drives up turnout, I just think itā€™s pretty universal to find yourself compelled to the polls because Trump is on the ballot.

The majority of Americans probably donā€™t even understand why thatā€™s bad for them personally.

The nice thing about Trump is that if you follow him around with a microphone for long enough eventually he pisses off 65% of people really badly and the other 35% love him. There has been a lot of pro Ukrainian propaganda (if you want to call it that) going around the last couple of years.