GOP Insanity Thread: a bunch of weirdos weirding out

the tennessee legislature is absolutely being run by the most dipshit wing of the moron club right now

Arizona Republicans trying to add a ā€œour (all Republican) Supreme Court justices canā€™t be voted out, even if you vote them outā€ bill to the ballot:

Funny how they lost basically every statewide election, but they will remain in control thanks to gerrymandering. I love my state!

1 Like

Future GOP Speaker

This probably belongs in the nonexistent GOP sanity thread, but Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s just a prelude to some upcoming freedom caucus insanity.

1 Like

Iā€™m wondering if they fall apart. It seems like a big loss for the influence of Trump on the Republican caucus

Iā€™m just assuming that Johnson gets the Mccarthy treatment now, question is if its new Johnson time, or finally maga speaker time. Kinda thinking the later TBH and thinking Gym.

Supposedly MTG already said sheā€™s pissed but now not going to do anything. Itā€™s possible that news about two more moderate R members planning to resign if she pulled the trigger was true.

itā€™s either this or there are a couple of Ds who will save Johnson. either way, MTG and the chaos caucus are basically kneecapped (which is a good thing for the GOP and probably a bad thing for Dems (electorally, at least) and they will look really, really bad if they actually pull the trigger and fail.

The Freedom Caucus fucked around and is finding out. The thing about power is that when you use it you create incentives for the other people involved to figure out how to take that power away from youā€¦ but if you donā€™t use it you can put it on the table for every negotiation as leverage.

The Freedom Caucus went so hard they finally forced the more corporate GOP members to negotiate with the Democrats.

Johnson is a MAGA speaker though.

1 Like

6 Likes

Seems like a good spot for Biden to make a bold move. If I were him, Iā€™d make an offer to the moderates who were supposedly considering stepping down early: if you do so, I promise to only pass one domestic bill along party lines before the election - and Iā€™ll negotiate with you right now what itā€™ll be. After that, Iā€™ll veto any domestic bill that doesnā€™t get either two Republican senators or X (5?) Republicans in the House. Other than that, weā€™ll only pass stuff for Ukraine/Israel/Taiwan if more is needed.

Then make the bill something that moderate Republicans can stomach that helps the middle class. Maybe a smaller version of the childcare tax credit and something to offset housing costs, both set to expire at the end of 2025?

The moderate Republicans get to stick it to the Freedom Caucus and show them that if you fuck around, you find out, while also significantly reducing the chances of another term of Trumpā€¦ and at the end of the day, all they really paved the way for was a couple tax cuts/credits and foreign aid.

Longshot to work, but the upside is massive, and Iā€™m guessing the main thing holding them back from resigning is a fear of what Dems would slam through with the trifecta.

There is no electable R speaker if Johnson quits or is fired.

Whatā€™s the upside?

Nobody knows the shit Biden got done. And itā€™s shit they allegedly care about.

1 Like
  1. Getting something done that tangibly helps the middle class in an election year and saying ā€œvote blue and weā€™ll make this permanent.ā€

2. Looking like a moderate dealmaker to independents.

3. Ability to give more money to Ukraine if needed.

This is the IRA of 2022

1 Like

Itā€™s a good bill in a vacuum, but not a lot of direct benefits for the middle class - and I doubt most people even realize the few things it did.

A lot of good stuff got dropped from the initial proposal.

Also that was two years ago. Would be hugely beneficial to do something good this year.