Home Maintenance and Handyperson Things

part ordered, looks like it will take about 5 minutes to replace How To: LG/Kenmore Ice Chute Door 5007JA3006R - YouTube

3 Likes

I recently replaced my front doorknob to change the lock. done it multiple times before but wasted about an hour because it’s one of these goofy models that unlocks from the inside if you just turn the handle and I thought I had installed it incorrectly and reinstalled multiple times til I finally tried from the other side. weird “feature.”

Might also check the gasket around the door, if it’s old it could be letting out some of the cold.

OMG! BUY A THERMAL CAMERA AND FIND OUT WHERE THE LEAK IS THAT WAY!

1 Like

ok, gotta morph this thread to include personal finance (unless there is another thread?) Suppose you have an online acquaintance and he’s not the sharpest spoon in the drawer and he over paid his internet bill by $500 because he wouldn’t have to think about it for a few months, then the next week he decided he wanted to go with a different provider. The first provider would cut him a check for the extra amount he paid? Right? Boy this guy is a maroon.

There is. I have no idea if the cable company would actually do this, probably a PITA for them and not a normal thing a customer service rep has to deal with :harold:

Maybe I’m naive but I assume if you just close the account they’d either bill you for what you owe or refund any positive balance. :man_shrugging:

Counterpoint: it’s a cable company

I think its about 93% your thought and 7% Pvn’s. Variance to the good side is Im in California so hopefully the consumer protection protects me, I mean that idiot who did this.

1 Like

I have had to do this with insurance payments. you just call and tell them to settle it. if not it eventually goes to the controller’s office but that can take years.

Man I’m learning my lesson—going to sign up for auto-pay everywhere I can.

Maybe I should have said “refund any positive balance minus administrative fees, disconnection fees, cancellation fees, and service interruption fees.”

1 Like

Anyone have any preferences for types of humidifier? Going to try and see if having a humid bedroom prevents my nose from getting so stuffed up when I sleep.

General handyperson question - my wife got her low tire light on a couple days ago, yesterday we realized there was a nail in the tire and it was dangerously low (we re-inflated it at a gas station but it was losing air at a decent pace), and today before she could leave to get it patched it was completely flat. Is it practical/worth it to have something like an air compressor at home for emergency situations like this? It would be great if we could just give it enough air to get her to the local tire place, at least if something like this happens again.

I have a tire pump in my trunk that plugs into cig lighter and works fine. Think it was like 30 bucks. Not sure the safety of driving on a known nail after that flat. I’ve always used just to keep tires at right pressure

2 Likes

I had a similar-ish episdoe a few months ago, where my light first came on for a tire that was a bit out of whack (like 36 → 30 psi) but not quite alarm bells level, at least per my level of car knowledge. When I re-inflated it and then the same tire was low again a day later I was like, ok yeah something’s wrong here, and took it to the tire place and they found a nail and patched it.

But yeah, obviously my wife’s tire is in a bit rougher shape now.

As a somewhat related tangent I also think there no shame in getting the AAA or whatever roadside assistance plan and just phoning it in if you get a flat/dead battery/whatever. Feel like a lot of people get injured or damage property doing whatever rare task around the house/car so I think fine to swallow pride and just call them. My check engine light came on 10 miles from home other day so I just said screw it I don’t want to take the tiny chance of breaking down on dangerous interstate and AAA towed it to shop for “free”.

1 Like

When did you purchase it? Last time I tried to find a good air pump both Amazon and all the auto parts chain stores were selling rebranded Chinese junk.

1 Like

I’m sure mine is Chinese junk and sounds on the verge of breaking whenever I rarely use it but it seems to get the job done

You can buy a little battery powered air compressor, keep it in your car or garage.

1 Like