Home Maintenance and Handyperson Things

I feel like with a roof the problem is that they know how much the house is worth, so it’s easy for them to jack up the quote on a case by case basis. Same is probably true for lots of home improvement projects.

Not sure best thread but our house has been around a while with numerous past owners so don’t know it’s utilities history. It’s got coaxial outlets upstairs and downstairs. We currently running a modem/wifi off one of them via Comcast but I want to potentially run a modem/hardwire Ethernet off the other outlet that we never used so home office has wired internet. Is it possible to run two modems like this with my existing Comcast account?

Googling is getting some very confident yes and some very confident nos in Reddit/etc

Why not just create a Moca network? That’s what I did when I had TiVo for my OTA digital antenna. You just need two moca adapters and the thing that plugs in by where the cable comes into your house so your network doesn’t bleed out into the neighborhood. If you have cable tv you likely already have that last piece installed.

1 Like

I would avoid two modems unless absolutely necessary.

have you tried simply moving the modem to the other room and then using wifi in the other room? it should work fine if the house is wired properly.

if you do actually need hardwired connections in both rooms, it may be easier than you think to run ethernet, especially if the rooms are directly in line vertically (if there’s a common interior wall it can probably be done in 10 minutes or less).

Another option is a wifi bridge, or a mesh network.

I don’t personally have experience with MOCA networks but it’s probably worth checking out.

2 Likes

Comcast makes an integrated WiFi pod extenders that are a plug and play mesh network that is pretty easy to use

Plugged into that coax outlet have never tried in whole time we lived here and not getting anything. Is this something Comcast would have to digitally “turn on” that outlet in someway or an actual wiring problem that would be a headache probably

Did you have comcast install the modem my guess is that they disconnected that room in the attic or wherever the cable comes into the house, probably for “signal strength” reason but more covertly to induce a high-margin service call if you ever wanted to move it. If you know where the cable comes in the house you could check, it’s very possible there is a splitter there and the cable to the nonworking room is right there, disconnected, and just needs to be screwed into the splitter.

1 Like

Should be an interesting scavenger hunt

No, that’s not something they turn on and is likely something disconnected. Do you konw where the cable comes into the house? Usually the basement, or maybe the attic? That’s going to be where it’s likely split off into different lines that go to different places. Check and see if it’s all screwed in at the splitters.

1 Like

Check:

1. The basement, especially near the electrical panel;
  2. The attic.

You can also go outside and just eyeball the cable line from the pole to your house (it’s the lower down line). From there you should be able to eyeball approximately where it’s entering your house.

1 Like

Finally got around to finding this and it was a splitter behind a bush on exterior of house with one extra wire so I switched that with the original one and thankfully it went to the cable jack I was hoping!

2 Likes

Having the splitter outside the house is probably less than ideal given that it’s not protected and could corrode in the rain over time. I’d keep an eye on it as a likely culprit over the years if you start to have issues.

It’s in a little plastic box and I assume been there for the life of the house so hoping for best

Ah, that’s probably fine then. I was just picturing a metal splitter exposed to the elements.