Podcast thread

Yeah some absurd 90%+ amount of theft related shrink is store employees. You can run up some crazy numbers if you get loss prevention and or management in on it. The problem isn’t a 13 year old stealing some 10 dollar earrings it’s your employees stealing 3x 11k pallets worth of earrings.

Unsurprisingly something that is both harder to catch AND pays off much harder dwarfs the higher frequency low damage per event problem.

Just listened to the first five minutes, man what happened to Good Morning America? It’s just right-wing bullshit right now?

astronautgun.png

1 Like

I remember GMA as being kind of dopey but I don’t remember them just making up shit like terrorists selling stolen Wal-Mart baby formula on the black market.

been binging The Dream, s1 is about MLM scams, s2 (halfway through so far) is about wellness/supplement scams. The host is very good (ex This American Life producer) and very snarky at just the right moments. Lots of infuriating content about how both of these industries lobbied their way to immunity. Looks like as of S3 it’s part of Malcom Gladwell’s podcast company.

great episode of OTM dunking on Riverman and all the boomers who are obsessed with shoplifting at walgreens

:vince3: IBCK is finally doing a Yascha Mounk book, I feel like this is going to be Michael’s magnum opus

1 Like

Peter’s “One Book Theory” so far holds up and it’s amazing how successful he was at predicting what the opening analogy from the book would be. I listen to podcasts in ~30 minute chunks so it’ll take me until tomorrow to finish this one but it starts out strong.

1 Like

I’ve never heard of this person before, am I losing my edge?

That may be expected if you don’t follow Hobbes on Twitter (as he dunks on Mounk a lot), he’s a typical “I’m a liberal, I totally promise *wink*, but the left is going TOO FAR” piece of shit (see also: Thomas Chatterton Williams, somewhat Yglesias).

Stop watching football

2 Likes

Just one facet of the enormous harm college football does in our country:

Magic link

2 Likes

tony gilroy on unclear and present danger was excellent, dude is so elite

https://x.com/ifbookspod/status/1744720748449788369?s=46&t=qACSKE6IZtzYRktMah8p6A

2 Likes

Latest ep of On the Media is just bleak, man. Journalism is a dead profession, the biggest assholes in the country are dismantling local news. Nothing short of a nationalized news service is going to solve this, and that’s never happening.

1 Like

really can’t listen to any more ringer podcasts, being subjected to bill simmons cold reading some ad copy every time is just too painful

He’s willfully stupid. Continues to shit all over analytics and be the biggest square ball bettor possible. Also Van Latham is nails on a chalk board ruining the rewatchables

Ed Zitron has a new podcast with two episodes out: https://www.betteroffline.com/

Interesting listens, first one is about “The Rot Economy” (something he wrote an article about a year ago and refers back to a lot) and the second reviews the Apple Vision Pro.

hell yeah ed z r00lz

this interview with Roberta Kaplan (E. Jean Carrol’s attorney) is A+++

(hard to link directly to the episode)

2 Likes