Television & Movies

Same. Haven’t seen all of it. It starts off as a mad men copycat and gets way better after it abandons that idea.

2 Likes

it’s good and the technical parts don’t sound like complete fantasy if you’re technical at all, which for me is a huge plus. there’s some chuckles here and there but they mostly nailed the tech part. the character development is kinda hilarious.

silicon valley really annoyed me at times in that it was NOT like this (but still an entertaining show).

1 Like

i dunno, i remmeber being pretty peeved that in one episode they spouted off a bunch acronyms (VLSI, AI, ML) that only appeared years and decades after the supposed show timeline.

i dont remember it being perfect but i’m comparing it to silicon valley, if i hear “lossless compression” one more time i’m gonna puke. like, real terms used in mostly correct contexts from what I remember.

Latest look at Oscar Odds

Everything Everywhere All at Once -1400 ➜
All Quiet on the Western Front +1200 ➜
The Banshees of Inisherin +1400 ➜
Top Gun: Maverick +2000 ➜
The Fabelmans +3300 ➜
Tar +5000 ➜
Women Talking +10000 ➜
Avatar: The Way Of Water +10000 ➜
Elvis +10000 ➜
Triangle Of Sadness +10000 ➜

That is the biggest favorite I have seen in a long time for best picture

Director Film Odds
Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert Everything Everywhere All at Once -1200 ➜
Steven Spielberg The Fabelmans +600 ➜
Martin McDonagh The Banshees of Inisherin +1400 ➜
Todd Field Tar +2000 ➜
Ruben Ostlund Triangle of Sadness +5000 ➜

I’ll be damned, EEAAO has also moved into lock status for best director.

Acting categories are still damn close though for 3/4 categories

Actor Film Odds
Brenden Fraser The Whale -175 ➜
Austin Butler Elvis +125 ➜
Colin Farrell The Banshees of Inisherin +1200 ➜
Paul Mescal Aftersun +5000 ➜
Bill Nighy Living +5000 ➜
Actress Film Odds
Michelle Yeoh Everything Everywhere All at Once -135 ➜
Cate Blanchett Tar -105 ➜
Andrea Riseborough To Leslie +1600 ➜
Michelle Williams The Fabelmans +2500 ➜
Ana de Armas Blonde +5000 ➜
Actor Film Odds
Ke Huy Quan Everything Everywhere All at Once -5000 ➜
Barry Keoghan The Banshees of Inisherin +1800 ➜
Brendan Gleeson The Banshees of Inisherin +1400 ➜
Brian Tyree Henry Causeway +3300 ➜
Judd Hirsch The Fabelmans +3300 ➜
Actress Film Odds
Angela Bassett Black Panther: Wakanda Forever +115 ➜
Jamie Lee Curtis Everything Everywhere All at Once +175 ➜
Kerry Condon The Banshees of Inisherin +225 ➜
Hong Chau The Whale +3300 ➜
Stephanie Hsu Everything Everywhere All at Once +3300 ➜

So yeah Short Round is now a mortal lock for an Oscar. I thought Hsu had a better role than Curtis in EEAAO, but Curtis has surged in the odds lately. Definitely a legacy award for either Bassett or Curtis.

The problem with Bassett I consider myself a relative Marvel fan, but man Black Panther 2 was bloated and needed at least a half hour cut. Bassett still had a good scene or two.

Wild that he was out of acting for decades and then comes back and crushes this role. I posted in the Hot Take Thread

but he’s an exception, he was phenomenal, absolutely delightful.

Here is his Golden Globe acceptance speech

This might be the only time I recommend checking out a Golden Globe acceptance speech. How can you not love him?

3 Likes

When did this happen?

I remember looking at the odds maybe a month ago and seeing EEAAO as a slight favorite over Banshees of Inisherin, with Fablemans a not that distant 3rd.

After winning the SAG awards this weekend

I can’t imagine Top Gun winning anything other than special effects oscars, Tom will get his lifetime achievement oscar later.

are the SAG awards traditionally that strongly predictive of oscar winners???

Cara Dune got “recruited into the qanon special forces” wat

I really liked Banshees of Inisherin, probably more than EEAAO. Very funny but also intense. I guess I need to read up on what the Irish Civil War was about now.

if anyone’s curious whether chris rock is over the will smith slap… watch the last ~7 mins of his new netflix special. Pretty savage.

i couldn’t get through the first ten minutes of that special.

I just skipped to the end

TLoU:

I guess it’s easier when you remove most of the fighting & action sequences. Like I remember tonight’s episode being really long in gameplay:

• you hunt the deer & meet the two guys
  • while waiting for the other guy to come back with medicine, you’re attacked by infected and have to fight them off; this takes awhile
  • in the game, Ellie escapes on horseback when the men come looking for them, and makes it to the town; she kills a bunch of people before being captured
  • she escapes captivity and continues through the town, killing a bunch more people, before the scene in the lodge/restaurant where it’s set on fire

This episode also had some of the most video-game-y aspects to it:

• In video game boss fight logic this stuff goes out the window obv, but IRL, the restaurant catching fire seems…kinda like a big deal? It’s weird that he doesn’t react at all to the place lighting up lol
  • Also, after Ellie kills the guy and she and Joel escape, where’s, uh, everyone else in the town? In the game it’s plausible that you actually murdered the entire town so it’s not necessarily weird that no one shows up when the town hall is on fire. In the show this seems very weird!

And fun easter egg, the voice actor who played Joel in the game (and a ton of other roles in AAA titles) is in this episode: He’s the preacher guy’s friend who goes back for the medicine and then gets killed by Ellie

2 Likes

Agree about the video-gamey stuff weakening some of the plot. I still liked it a lot and think Bella will deservedly win an Emmy.

Semi related note, seems like way more people get upset about plot/timeline contrivances in marvel and Star Wars stuff than that do prestige-y shows like this or succession. Could just be my perception being skewed by the sheer number of people who watch and comment on the former versus the latter.

1 Like

i felt like a fun easter egg would have been an epic fight with joel. but oh well.

we’ve really jumped the shark on streaming services