Whereupon We Pontificate About Poor Media Outlet Choices

Timely:

https://twitter.com/RottenInDenmark/status/1615791174891241477

If you’re feeling some kind of deja vu, that’s because writing about detransitioners is extremely common, as it was in Singal’s own Atlantic cover story that led to his Wikipedia entry looking like this:

Singal wrote the cover story for the July/August 2018 issue of The Atlantic . Originally published under the title “When a Child Says She’s Trans”, the online version was later retitled “When Children Say They’re Trans”.

Among the controversial aspects of the article was how much it was focused on the stories of multiple adolescents who had desisted or detransitioned — that is, reverted to identifying with their assigned gender at birth, either before or after undergoing physical transition. In the article, Singal acknowledges that the stories of detransitioners are sometimes viewed with skepticism or suspicion by the trans community, in part because they have been used by conservative media to further misleading narratives. Alex Barasch, writing in Slate , faulted the article for not including the story of “a single happy, well-adjusted trans teen” in its first 9,000 words.[12] This complaint was echoed in one of the parent-penned letters published by The Atlantic , which said that the two stories of happily-transitioned teens were “buried deep in the article”.[10] Barasch also criticized Singal for failing to include the stories of individuals who had detransitioned for reasons other than a realization that they were not trans, such as social stigma.[12]

As other tweets note, literally the only thing the media does is take detransitioners seriously. They sure as shit don’t take trans people and their right to exist seriously, by constantly feeding an eternal “debate” about whether they should be allowed such entitlements.

"They say, allegedly, if you tip them, they get back to you faster. So, I was like, ‘Hey, love what I’m seeing. Would love to see some more,’ " Spelling added, before admitting: “I ended up, in the course of two days, spending $400. I couldn’t stop.”

:vince2:

1 Like

Seems like some obvious marketing ploy to me lol

2 Likes

For Denise Richards Only Fans sure. Denise Richards is probably making an absurd amount of money.

Did not have “People” making the Poor Media thread on my Bingo card.

1 Like

1 Like

sorry, not a good headline, and i so far know nothing of the opinion

oh yeah, the first half of the opinion delivers the trlols

Imagine a world where autonomous weapons roam the streets, decisions about your life are made by AI systems that perpetuate societal biases and hackers use AI to launch devastating cyberattacks. This dystopian future may sound like science fiction, but the truth is that without proper regulations for the development and deployment of Artificial Intelligence (AI), it could become a reality. The rapid advancements in AI technology have made it clear that the time to act is now to ensure that AI is used in ways that are safe, ethical and beneficial for society. Failure to do so could lead to a future where the risks of AI far outweigh its benefits.

I didn’t write the above paragraph. It was generated in a few seconds by an A.I. program called ChatGPT, which is available on the internet. I simply logged into the program and entered the following prompt: “Write an attention grabbing first paragraph of an Op-Ed on why artificial intelligence should be regulated.”

I was surprised at how ChatGPT effectively drafted a compelling argument that reflected my views on A.I., and so quickly. As one of just three members of Congress with a computer science degree, I am enthralled by A.I. and excited about the incredible ways it will continue to advance society. And as a member of Congress, I am freaked out by A.I., specifically A.I. that is left unchecked and unregulated.

3 Likes

Too bad we have a lawmakers who are idiots, no way any kind of beneficial regulation comes out of this Congress.

bruh

2 Likes

wuuuuuuuuut

The literal day after a mass murder of Asians.

10 Likes

WSJ:

Does an AP class that’s exploring “the case for reparations” also discuss the case against, including the fact that 21% of black Americans are first or second generation, and 18% of black newlyweds in 2015 married someone of a different race or ethnicity? The AP document has a topic on exploring the “diverse experiences and identities of Black communities in the U.S.” Somehow we doubt that this involves readings from Thomas Sowell or Clarence Thomas.

Seems like a pretty standard WSJ choice?

1 Like

Media would be much better if all coverage of Republicans was as honest as this headline.

jfc

1 Like

1 Like

Came in here to post that. JFC these people are shameless.

“DeSantis replaces education with blood and soil ideology”