2024 Campus Protests: Freeze Peach Under Attack (By Cops)

I do think this is drawing more attention, and I do think some of it is the factors you mentioned, but it’s also some stuff like the current political moment where the authoritarian right has leaned into culture war grievances and hating college students even more than they normally do.

But when it comes to this side of things, in liberal institutions:

This is where the motivations of the right just aren’t important, because they aren’t the decision-makers here; the question is, why does the president of USC (who does not seem like a conservative crank) give in to this pressure so easily? Or any of the liberals in charge at the number of universities across the country that are all calling up local cops and asking them to come beat down peaceful student protesters.

Maybe it’s the New York Times’ fault, since all these people read it and they’re pushing the “oh my god, is antisemitism running wild on college campuses?” angle as hard as the most MAGA Republicans.

Northeastern University brought in the cops after counter-protesters literally holding an Israeli flag chanted “Kill the Jews” (the pro-Palestine protesters booed them):

https://twitter.com/dsaworkingmass/status/1784223967995101251

The administration told an NPR reporter who asked about this, “well, it sounds like we all agree there was antisemitic stuff said at the rally, so that justifies what we did”:

https://twitter.com/tori_bedford/status/1784253324448928077

It’s sad how cynical this is. Antisemitism is a very real problem, but these counterprotesters, aided by the university, are happy to undermine it and add a fog of war to any antisemitic incidents just for the joy of seeing police crack skulls of the people protesting for Palestine. I’ve seen Jewish co-workers say that stuff like this makes them less safe (on top of their frustrations that the voices of anti-Zionist Jewish students, who are part of all these protests, are consistently erased to serve the narrative the media wants to tell).

1 Like

In totally unrelated news that has nothing at all to do with this subject, right-wing terrorists are marching in Charleston, WV without a cop in sight.

https://twitter.com/HollerWV/status/1784248741689536935

1 Like

If their other paramilitary skills are as bad as their marching, their enemies have nothing to worry about.

Pretty sure I see a bunch of cops.

1 Like

A surprisingly fair report from an NYT writer, that (not in the parts I’m quoting here) does go out of its way to highlight the parts of protests that have made some Jewish students feel queasy:

(I think that’s a gift link)

1 Like

Some disgusting behavior by cops in Columbus:

what a field day for the heat

2 Likes

And this is the high school class of ‘20. No graduations for you.

See now I’m just envious.

“Haven’t you heard, it’s a battle of words” the poster-bearer cried

“Listen, son” said the man with the gun, “There’s room for you inside.”

1 Like

https://x.com/andrewjbates46/status/1784954583791399124?s=46&t=N0_fcOKIYYmlCS2e4YShsQ

Seems like they should be protesting hamas

Really seems like these campus protests are also not really that big and republicans sure think they can use this as a wedge issue. Annoying af story to be honest.

99% of people don’t give a shit about the protests or gaza at all either way

There’s a pair of leftish election bloggers I have followed for decades now over at www.electoral-vote.com. They wrote a post about the protests that, unfortunately, I think is somewhat on the money (quoted below). Recent polling of young people seems to indicate that they’re going to either: 1. Withhold their vote for Biden, or 2. Vote for Trump, in part, because they disagree with Biden’s policy on the Israeli/Palestinian conflict. That is the ultimate “Bold move Cotton, Let’s see how that works out for them” when Trump wins in November, does everything Bibi asks, and then also destroys any chance of the environment not descending into a hellscape by the time these young people have their own children.

I agree it’s bad for Biden but I think the country attention span is so short these days that situation will peak sometime by graduation and then will be business as usual once school restarts in fall. I obviously could be wrong but I suspect some other more recent controversy will be more impactful come election time.

1 Like

I’m sure this time the mass scale student protesters will be on the wrong side of history lol.

1 Like

I don’t think being on the right side of history and potentially getting Trump elected are mutually exclusive. This seems to be addressing pragmatic electoral concerns more than morality. (Although personally I think the electoral concerns are overblown but may change my mind if goes on longer than I expect)

I’m sorry but if Trump gets elected it will 100% be the fault of the establishment Democrats. Period end of story. Let’s stop normalizing blaming normal people for the consequences of the politicians we elected doing evil shit. They need to stop doing evil unpopular shit.

If you lose to Donald it’s your fault period. Fortunately I don’t think Biden is going to lose to Trump, but if he does because he decided to back Bibi carrying out a genocide… I’m not going to blame the young people we actively chose not to educate over the last 20 years.

Being a political leader means owning the cause and effect of your decisions. There were a lot of choices made around supporting Israel before and after the massacre they, let’s be very honest, instigated and then failed to defend against. I get the Israeli reaction to that, which is why it was our responsibility to keep them on a tight leash. Instead we’ve been very hands off and the Israeli’s, and the sociopath they elected repeatedly, have done their very best to ethnically cleanse Gaza.

Being president is having a new, very complicated, trolley problem pretty much every day of the week. Biden did something objectively evil here, if it was also a political miscalculation that costs him this next election it’ll ruin his entirely legacy because he will have been the guy who crashed our system into the side of a mountain. Kinda like how HRC’s entire legacy is being the person who lost to Trump in 2016, a failure so large with such overwhelming consequences (millions dead) that her not having a major mental health crisis in the aftermath tells you pretty much all you need to know about her.

Biden had better not lose lol. Par for this hole is curb stomping the GOP out of existence, and losing… well the only sane thing you could do after losing to this version of Trump on this timeline is probably suicide. If you could live with that level of guilt you’re a monster lol. It’s actually worse than HRC losing to Trump by a 3-4x multiplier and the cause being supporting a genocide? Jesus fucking Christ that’s ugly.

If Biden strongly rebukes Bibi and Israel doesn’t he lose voters on the other end of the spectrum, and then if he loses it’s because he didn’t back Bibi?