2024 Campus Protests: Freeze Peach Under Attack (By Cops)

https://twitter.com/JoshuaPHilll/status/1785480782875955437

Reminder that the above is a policy choice compared to viable alternatives:

Brown really making these other administrators look like total clowns. They got the protesters to pack up the encampment by agreeing to discuss it and hold a vote in October. But these other schools would rather call in the police to beat the shit out of their own students and faculty, arrest a bunch of them, ruin some lives, etc.

I’m sorry but their plan is to checks notes expel a bunch of checks notes again Columbia students. It’s like these administrators are not aware that the protestors they are dealing with are some of the most privileged people on planet earth.

They’re all going to graduate in the end, there are going to be zero career consequences for any of them, and the college is going to be meaningfully worse off in terms of prestige than it was when this started. Also everyone in the upper levels of administration is going to be gone in 24 months and their next job sure as shit isn’t going to be at a school anything close to where Columbia was before they fucked up.

Once again kudos to the kids they’re really putting on a PR clinic. Absolutely crushing it. They probably just single handedly ended the bad faith debates about ‘free speech’ in college, which were always 100% about white boys whose favorite book is Atlas Shrugged feeling safe just asking questions about whether X horrifying atrocity white people did was really that bad. Those people vanishing while other people’s free speech was totally trampled on was a glorious look that I’ll never let any of them ever forget should they ever fuck up and bring up ‘cancel culture’ to me again.

Finally found an instance of violence at one of these protests:

Shortly before midnight, a group of about 200 pro-Israel counter-protesters arrived at UCLA’s campus and began attempting to tear down barriers surrounding the student encampment. Videos on social media show the group firing fireworks into the encampment, beating students, throwing objects, and shouting things like “second Nakba,” at the encampment — a reference to the 1948 ethnic cleansing and expulsion of Palestinians from the territory that now comprises Israel.

https://twitter.com/TeresaWatanabe/status/1785575610469007471

Biden needs to do something here. This is one of those situations where Democrats are at risk of being on the complicated side of something Republicans will make seem very simple. I don’t think arguing that this was a university and local police matter is going to do Democrats much good.

He should probably be leaning on university administrators to follow the Brown model, and then give a speech condemning violence and chaos, and urging both protesters and universities to agree to hold a public forum and then hold a vote through whatever the university’s process is on divestment. Say some stuff about how it’s not good for anyone to have students encamped on campuses when they should be learning.

The only way Biden wins swing states is with racist white people votes, he’s been dealt a horrible hand here.

I’m conflicted about it, I still think worth to keep his mouth shut until summer break and see if everything just disappears

Such a weird timeline to have the racists defending the Jews. Most people I interact with assume I blindly side with Israel because I’m Jewish.

I hate it here!

2 Likes

It’s the worst seriously. I regret every person on earth who knows I’m half Jewish at this point.

I think this is a no-win situation. Impossible to please both sides and which ever side he leans to will greatly piss off the other side which has strongly held convictions. From a political strategy perspective I think it’s best to stay out of it as much as possible.

That argument has merit but I think a lot of people want a strong leader more than anything, and thus sitting on the sidelines hurts him too.

Politically the right answer, if you want to DO SOMETHING, is probably to crack down. At least, that’s the easy popular position. It’s not hard to make a few of these kids look like idiots, make them the entire movement, and then crush it

I’ve been tuning into Chris Hayes occasionally to see how he’s covering the protests and his segment today was really good:

Not only that, but my understanding is that the attackers were actually outside agitators, not students!

Wow, it sounds like that video I posted from UCLA was only the tip of the iceberg there:

https://twitter.com/joeyneverjoe/status/1785560399716417718

(!!! what the fuck!!)

1 Like

https://twitter.com/tyleroakley/status/1785876815372079541

“Trump’s America will be exactly like Joe Biden’s America! VOTE BLUE!”

damn bro this shit sells itself

The people who are about to make a good faith effort to make the campus protesters face real consequences are making a huge miscalculation. They think that they personally have more power than a group made up of hundreds to thousands of Columbia parents defending their kids.

So much power lies inert because the people who have it have it pretty good and don’t want to rock the boat. You threaten their kids that’s different. You threaten their kids while legally being in the wrong and that’s real different. These people have all the rights.

These people are doctors and lawyers and business executives. They have their own personal networks and their kids are very sympathetic, particularly on an individualized level. Individually any of these people could be enough of a pain in the ass to get minor special attention from people in power. Collectively? Jesus Christ guys.

People get motivated over their kids futures being threatened over a little harmless political activism in college. That’s a normal right of passage for a certain type of rich kid! That’s a privilege they absolutely think they have! They don’t like it when people take that shit away, look at how the racists have reacted to that not being OK lol. You get Karen crusades over way fucking less than this.