2024 LC Thread #1 - Elder Fraud Advice

As pickleball boomed since 2020 this issue has happened all over. Townships scrambled to get courts built without doing proper research. Putting them close to houses never ends well. One town near me spent a bunch of money to convert a dilapidated and unused basketball court to nice new pickleball courts. They were warned multiple times by the local pickleball players and organizers that it was a bad location, but they went ahead with their plan anyway. Courts closed like 3 months after they opened due to noise and parking complaints.

Thankfully there are now a lot more places to play that aren’t in neighborhoods, so I no longer get the cops called on me like I used to back in 2017 when it was just me and a bunch of olds playing. My new indoor spot is pretty nice.

1 Like

:leolol:

I played tennis there once, it’s a beautiful neighborhood and very nice and chill place to play.

1 Like

simpsons-newsletter

Based on limited experience walking past a pickleball court a single time I would estimate having one next door would be torture, but regardless :leolol:

Death before pickleball

1 Like

Cross posting this, can’t get out of my head how banging the line “stone faced killer like my motherfucking house is”

Don’t know if this has been posted here, but if not enjoy. This is some goat-ed shit

“but I need my PP compensator for work”

Someone in the comments claims to work at Boeing and is spilling internal tea about how their awful QA fucked up the door (link should go to the comment)

https://x.com/mattbelloni/status/1750198035957866754?s=46&t=XGja5BtSraUljl_WWUrIUg

4 Likes

Let’s gooooooooooooo

The Seattle Times aviation reporter got to work on this and the result is… Not pretty!

Magic link

Boeing, not Spirit, mis-installed piece that blew off Alaska MAX 9 jet, industry source says

The fuselage panel that blew off an Alaska Airlines jet earlier this month was removed for repair then reinstalled improperly by Boeing mechanics on the Renton final assembly line, a person familiar with the details of the work told The Seattle Times.
[…]
Last week, a different person — an anonymous whistleblower who appears to have access to Boeing’s manufacturing records of the work done assembling the specific Alaska Airlines jet that suffered the blowout — on an aviation website separately provided many additional details about how the door plug came to be removed and then mis-installed.

“The reason the door blew off is stated in black and white in Boeing’s own records,” the whistleblower wrote. “It is also very, very stupid and speaks volumes about the quality culture at certain portions of the business.”

The self-described Boeing insider said company records show four bolts that prevent the door plug from sliding up off the door frame stop pads that take the pressurization loads in flight, “were not installed when Boeing delivered the airplane.” the whistleblower stated. “Our own records reflect this.”

1 Like

ok, here’s the thing I don’t get. If this 737 was delivered without the bolts, how the hell did it take THIS LONG before the door fell off (first flight was in october and looks like it was delivered in november)? Need to see some sort of diagram of the mechanism that holds the plug in place I guess.

1 Like

Yeah that mechanism is a hell of a failsafe whatever it is.

The Seattle Times article has some decent illustrations, which seem to be carried over in the “archived” version.

NYT has animations that show it very clearly:

I don’t know how it held on as long as it did… Basic friction and pure luck, I guess.

I’m watching all this pretty intently because I’ve got my first-ever trip to Hawaii scheduled for February… On Alaska Airlines… Who still shows the plane for the trip as a 737 Max 9…

:harold:

I needed to fly a red-eye home from Vegas Monday night because United realized three days’ prior that my Monday afternoon nonstop flight home needed to be cancelled for inspection. :grimacing:

1 Like

I’m sure this will be great for twitter videos and dunks on republicans, but who watches the daily show these days? I have no idea where and at what time it runs anymore :harold:

Like John Oliver who dunks on these fools mercilessly every Sunday, it doesn’t seem like it would make an iota of difference for the cult followers.

To the cult followers, no. But Stewart has a way about his story telling that connects with potential Biden voters imo. Like people who voted Biden in 2020 and might sit out 2024 for reasons, he may be able to make them realize how important defeating Trump is. Your point stands that nobody watches cable anymore though so there’s going to have to be some coordinated effort to get his clips in front of those voters.

1 Like

I’m not so sure Stewart is the white knight everyone is hoping for. My memory is that his recent work is a lot of “bothsidesing” and while both sides deserve blame for various things, there’s just no comparison between the sides.