2024 LC Thread #1 - Elder Fraud Advice

OK but remember how funny the Olympics would be if they let a normal person who played high school level sports try their very hardest to train for the event and run it for scale. That’s what we’re about to watch except it’s boxing and Jake Paul is insanely annoying.

I’ll be the first to admit this is going to be amazing television. They finally found a way I can watch a fight without feeling super duper guilty about it.

1 Like

Same I did pretty OK on that fight. You guys are way way way underestimating the difference between elite tier pro athlete’s (which a heavyweight champion of the world with multiple conclusive title defenses absolutely is) and normal people. Not just in athleticism which is what Tyson is really losing from age, but in terms of just plain skill.

The thing that has always stood out to me about Tyson is how he manages to unload his entire body with damn near every punch. That and the unbelievable defensive skills while closing in to unload. What he’s doing certainly looks brutish to the untrained eye, but he’s actually executing a very challenging peekaboo style that requires an unbelievable amount of talent to exeecute vs heavyweight title contenders from any era. You do that shit without the chops to back it up and you’re basically just walking into a hail of jabs as the soon to be champ makes you look like one of Ali’s opponents (because Ali did what you need to do to beat Tyson as well or better than anyone else ever has).

I had no opinion about Tysons last thing, but that was him fighting another old elite pro boxer. There are multiple boxers better than Jake Paul in every serious gym in America. He’s a nobody in terms of the sport but because of the way the economics of the sport work his ability to draw a crowd is more important than whether he should be allowed in a sanctioned professional boxing match.

I don’t think Mike is some invulnerable monstrosity he would get absolutely wrecked by any current middle of the rankings pro boxer. Stylistically if he’s not very fast compared to his opponent he’s going to get absolutely rolled by anyone competent and athletic enough to make him not fast. But that’s not what he’s facing here, he’s facing a random amateur… so when you consider the skill gap which is basically as big as a skill gap can get in a skill intensive sport and that 57 year old dude is still Mike Tyson… yeah nope. Jake Paul shouldn’t have signed the disclosure on this one he could really get hurt.

Go watch the recent fight vs Roy Jones Jr and come back and tell me that he’s 57 and some random 28 year old Youtuber is going to beat him.

And Mike Tyson is not a hero of mine lol. I mean my whole family is from Louisville who do you think I think the greatest boxer of all time is? I’d be saying almost the same shit Roy Jones Jr vs Jake Paul.

1 Like

if it goes 12 rounds, yeah, being 57 is a liability

this thing probably doesn’t go 12 seconds

1 Like

Might last longer than 12 seconds he is 57. If it goes out of the first round I start worrying Mike has agreed not to knock him out or something.

Thought saw stuff saying their had been a no knockout rule in the actual fight rules (is that even possible?)

Yeah stuff like this is why I would not bet this fight at all. Mike has nothing to win, he’s getting paid regardless, and I believe he and Paul were/are friendly IRL. I’m sure he cares how he’s perceived, but how much exactly? If you could guarantee that Tyson enters the ring with murderous rage then I agree he’s a heavy favorite, although I still think it’s not a one punch fight or anything.

Yeah, if you can do it on two or three colors and basically corner enough of the supply that others are limited in how much they can build up.

Oh I’ve never heard of that before… Like they can land on your space rent free?

I posted this during the SVB banking crisis:

3 Likes

Yes. As part of a sale. Our standard clause was 3 free nights per color group at the choice of the person receiving the free nights.

The kids had gotten drunk with unlimited free nights. Made the game drag to long.

On a couple of rare occasions we just turned some ones into 1,000 notes.

Yeah I like the regular rules for the strategy of it and to keep it from taking all night.

No disrespect because you know way more about this than I do but it just seems like everyone was saying “The Youtube kid could never beat a real MMA athlete” and then “The Youtube kid could never beat a trained boxer” and the Youtube kid keeps winning. It sure feels like a value bet to me.

So parents were co-owners with a few others of a lodge place on 200 acres a few miles outside of town.

Me as teen- have a few guy friends and play games all night

Cool kids- have epic parties (that I was not invited to)

Of course the bigger events were all through normal channels- there was a calendar to sign up to reserve the place.

But all of us teens had our own secret keys and let’s say it was a good place to go for…Even if someone beat your to the lodge there were plenty of places to park.

Amazing no one got caught (at least that I’m aware of). A couple of times people got in trouble for not cleaning up after a party but in those cases the parents knew what was going on. Just don’t drive and don’t forget to leave the place in good shape in the AM.

He hasn’t fought any actual current ranked pros that I’m aware of. Also I’m sorry some of those guys took a dive and it’s very obvious from the film of those fights that’s what happened.

This guy is a youtuber with a lot of money. These are guys who probably live in fight houses. Even this fight is absolutely him not fighting a current professional fighter in a professional bout. He’s fighting 57 year old Mike Tyson.

I will admit that I haven’t been following the previous fights very closely because I think the entire thing is a side show that would be a disgrace to the sport if the sport had any honor or prestige at all. Honestly Jake Paul turning boxing into the WWE by intentionally playing the heel and holding exhibition matches with cans might be the best thing that could happen to the whole thing.

I know some of you feel gross liking football, trust me this feels worse. It’s also unfortunately an incredibly interesting subject according to my brain. I should probably be grateful the shameful thing my brain likes isn’t worse. How does violence really work is the broad category it fits inside in my head.

To be really clear I think the reason Jake Paul hasn’t fought any actual current professional boxers is because literally anyone up to a weight class below him would put a near instant end to the illusion that he’s a fighter not a youtuber. He’s also flagrantly juiced so there’s that as well lol.

Jake Paul is an absolutely brilliant social media guy. He got a ton of attention from people actively disliking him so he sold people tickets to see him get punched in the face. You really gotta admire it on that level. I really will not be betting on this fight because I could easily see Mike being in on it the more I think about it. He’s got that troll in him too, I could see him getting along with Paul and them hatching a scheme.

1 Like

i literally NEVER want to see this sort of content, if there is some dude superimposed over stock footage making this particular face I want it permabanned from my feed without any intervention on my part

3 Likes

My dumbass neighbor has his camera set you say “Hello! You are being recorded!” and the sensitivity set so that you can be walking on the other of the street but still set it off

Time to do some spontaneous nonsense. Dance. Juggle. Big smooch for the wife.
F Trump sign.

Is it wrong that I totally want to learn how Sunflower oil is made now?

Are these the same neighbors you had the previous noise issues with?

lol yup

like they’re getting new landscaping done, and it’s just a constant 'Hello! You are being recorded" from their construction crew lol

Doesn’t bother me in the house thankfully, just dumb