2024 LC Thread #1 - Elder Fraud Advice

https://twitter.com/Lawmadillo/status/1772714698233790836

1 Like

checking in with the brain trust

https://twitter.com/mtgreenee/status/1772663041445724654

yes genius thanks for the hot tip on “doing an investigation” I’m sure nobody had thought about that

Friend who is civil engineer made it sound like can currently build bridges / harbor channels to protect bridge supports with design to beach the ship or bounce it back towards channel but no idea if feasible in that specific location

Were you guys all in favor of UIGEA or something?

4 Likes

And during most of that time, the entire population did not have illegal gambling terminals in their pocket at all times. They also could not gamble 24/7 on shitcoins on a decentralized protocol that isn’t really bannable.

Also HOLY FUCK forcing you to log out after 15 minutes on sports betting sites GTFO.

1 Like

I gotta say I feel a lot better about where my money comes from now than I did when it was mostly problem gamblers.

I posted a knee jerk reaction to seeing a ton of gambling ads in a very short time and being shocked by it because I’ve designed my life to not see ads for anything.

After some reflection it’s no big surprise that I’ve landed on the same position for sports gambling that I have for ‘hard drugs’. Legalize and heavily regulate to prevent the industry being all that great. It’ll survive the heavy thumb of government because there’s a shit ton of demand for it. Make knowingly lending someone money to gamble with a felony and make advertising for gambling illegal.

Then open up the floodgates and allow basically anyone in who can pay the registration fees that fund enforcement of the gambling regulations. The more competition the better. We’re trying to make this industry hard to make money in after all.

1 Like

Because I didn’t see firsthand how many lives it destroyed. I neither watch sports nor watch commercial tv so I don’t give a crap about those things.

Sure, but they were significantly smaller back then versus the amount of people who are now sucked into it because it’s so widely available.

I don’t have tv, just streaming services, and I don’t watch sports. My issue definitely isn’t with commercials.

I find it hard to believe you can engineer anything to withstand an object that massive hitting it.

I mean, I also think crypto is ridiculous and should be banned. But yeah, the ubiquitous access to online gambling on smartphones is a problem, it sounds like we are in agreement?

Guess the idea is not to allow it (the bridge) itself to get hit in first place. Like the safest scenario from boat hitting bridge standpoint is when the main piers are on dry land but I’m sure that’s a continuum where maybe the water is only 10 feet deep where the pier is and they dredge out a shipping channel to 300 feet or whatever down the middle so it’s physically impossible for a ship that big get close enough to hit the pier. Or they artificially build kinda triangular shape underwater rock or concrete formations extending out that would cause the ship to do more a glancing blow and direct back into channel or just get stranded on. When I see him need to ask if there specific bridges to reference.

1 Like

Each of these measures come with a price tag multiplied by all the major bridges in dozens of US ports, all to prevent a freak accident.

Here some talk about the California bridges @Jman220

However, Bay Area bridges may be less vulnerable to the collapse in Baltimore. According to civil engineers, one of the most protective features of Bay Area bridges in particular is the shallow depths of portions of the bay itself. That is because most of the supporting piers of many Bay Area bridges, including the Golden Gate Bridge and the Bay Bridge, are built in shallow parts of the bay where massive cargo ships like the one in Baltimore would run aground before making a direct impact.

“The Dumbarton Bridge – ships can’t get to that place, it’s so shallow,” said Hassan Astaneh, a retired UC Berkeley engineering professor. “The Richmond-San Rafael Bridge is a little bit deeper, but it’s shallow for this kind of ship.”

1 Like

For sure nothing is free

But just the economic impacts of shutting a major harbor down for months and cutting an interstate route for years has to be absolutely colossal on top of bridge replacement cost

Apparently major bridge strikes not as rare as I would have expected. 35 collapsed since 1960

Nancy Mace figured out why the bridge collapsed, it was (can you guess)

JOE BIDEN!

apparently the infrastructure bill wasn’t big enough, or something?

Obviously should have budgeted for a Time Machine in there

https://x.com/drawbrandondraw/status/1772769067457212428?s=20

1 Like