2024 LC Thread #1 - Elder Fraud Advice

https://x.com/drewmagary/status/1811092925662527989

3 Likes

Somebody recently posted a tweet in the election thread that included some grade level analysis of presidential speeches. The unshocking conclusion was that Trump is a dummy, but it reminded me of this thread I created on 2+2 using the same method (the “Flesch-Kincaid readability test”) to analyze the writing level of politics forum posts.

This is one of the only threads I ever created over there, and holy shit it was almost exactly TEN FUCKING YEARS AGO.

2 Likes

:leolol:

is this just like, vocabulary analysis? because there are a lot of people in the middle there that I remember as being pretty good at tossing $4 words but pretty shit at reasoning

Iirc the metric is based largely on a combination of words per sentence and syllables per word.

The limitations of the analysis are discussed in the thread, but I still don’t think it’s completely worthless.

I remember at some point in school part of our grade on a paper was contingent on the Flesch-Kincaid grade level score, and me being me I made sure to get it up to 12.0. Just going through proof reading, adding in as many big words as possible lol…

The American education system, folks!

1 Like

The purpose of Flesch-Kincaid is to make your work MORE readable, not to get up to a higher education level.

I WASN’T LAST! WOO HOO!

So the media reporting on the Alec Baldwin trial is really bad right now, but it sounds wild. There was a Brady violation so bad that one of the prosecutors resigned (maybe in protest? Because the other prosecutor was cross-examined about the fact that the other prosecutor resigned), and then the charges were dismissed.

1 Like

lol seems wild. Wife and I have been rewatching 30 rock and love him in it

JOE BIDEN LET HIM OFF THE HOOK

Best I can tell, they found some live rounds on set that didn’t match the round that killed the person. Because they didn’t match they didn’t bother to tell the defense about it. Defense found out and prosecutors must have doubled down on it and poof, the case is dismissed.

2024 World Matchplay (darts) is underway and runs from July 13-21. This is the second biggest tournament in darts after the World Championship. Only four matches today but it heats up tomorrow. Appears PlutoTV will be showing this for free. The paid options (PDC.tv / DAZN) don’t have the betting overlay.

Surprisingly accurate

1 Like

For the longest time I’ve seen people referring to the ELI5 system or asking someone to ELI5 something for them and I always just assumed it was some fancy logic system I was unfamiliar with. Yesterday I had some time to kill and decided to google it to see what this fancy logic and reasoning system was and now I feel like a fucking moron.

2 Likes

you should have just asked us to explain ELI5 to you like you were five

3 Likes

Another reminder that the NHL is probably the most deplorable of the major sports leagues (gift link):

To count the Oilers’ hiring of Bowman as another example of hockey’s ruthless, win-at-all costs mindset, frankly, gives the sport too much credit. Countless recent stories have exposed the sport’s incurious and insular culture. In the NHL especially, a league that frequently cycles through coaches and executives, that culture is made by the same people over and over again. Every day, hockey’s decision-makers choose to keep it this way.

Hockey culture is definitely on a different level.

Have you read about some of the hazing, and initiation scandals that go on? At ALL levels of hockey.

Some truly depraved shit goes down. And it gets enabled and overlooked by that same “boys will be boys” culture.

1 Like

This guy isn’t an elite gm. There is absolutely no reason to bring him back. I would love to see McDavid and Draisaitl veto this like the on-air talent of MSNBC vetoed Ronna McDaniel.

2 Likes