2024 LC Thread #1 - Elder Fraud Advice

Dunno if y’all recall a year ago when my niece was born 11 weeks early. Well, she made it, and though she’s still catching up development-wise, she turned 1 year old the other day and she’s as cute as you can possibly imagine.

I can’t believe it’s been a year

19 Likes

Look at those chubby widdle legs!

Mazel Tov!

Berry cute!

I forget if those guys were base 2 or base 10. Actually I forget their whole deal, tbh.

Binars. Stole the enterprise to back up their planets system which needed a full wipe and restore. Or something like that.

I’m such an idiot. Moved into my house about two years ago. It was a new build, we picked everything out. Just figured out that our oven has an air fryer mode, and it’s fabulous. Apparently I can also scan barcodes to things like trader joes meals and have it cook it automatically? Also has a built in meat thermometer if I want to cook a turkey, beef tenderloin or whatever?

1 Like

I haven’t done it yet, but you can also reorder the channel guide to put your favorites at the top.

You can also set favorite teams/conferences/sports and get notifications of games or have them auto recorded, which also seems to influence the recommendations on the first screen.

A friend advised me to get an antenna for 4K sports from local affiliates. Gotta look into that.

1 Like

Wait are they actually doing 4k ota now? I thought they could but aren’t actually for right now

Me with my 18 year old oven:

I could be wrong, maybe he said better quality HD?

Yeah you can get 1080p ota, and YouTubetv is mostly 720p.

1 Like

Alright LA people, my parents want to see the Hollywood sign while they’re here. What’s the best viewpoint, ideally without too much hassle? Anything actually cool to see/do near there?

So far I’ve avoided most of the touristy stuff around LA, so I’m pretty clueless on this.

Make sure you see the Nakatomi tower, cite of where lone gunman John McLain killled all those European tourists, including throwing one out of the 30th floor.

2 Likes

Honestly just go to the neighborhood just south of it, I think there are good views from like Gower or Vine, it’s pretty underwhelming.

Unrelated: Runyan Canyon Park is nearby and will have the most attractive collection of people humanly possible.

1 Like

Go to the Griffith Observatory

1 Like

To see and take a photo of it, this is the place (bonus view of Hollywood Bowl): https://mrca.ca.gov/parks/park-listing/jerome-c-daniel-overlook-above-the-hollywood-bowl/

There are several sets of stairs to climb, so this is not an option if your parents can’t do that.

As long as you’re doing touristy stuff, go from there to the Walk of Fame / Chinese Theater. And from there pop down to Rodeo Drive. And then on to the Santa Monica Pier!

The above are all part of the LFS standard never-been-to-LA tour. But if you do the Chinese Theater part your dad will definitely get some “LA is a shithole” ammunition, that area definitely has flavor. If you really want to make his head explode in that regard, take him to lunch at Langer’s by MacArthur Park.

1 Like

So my mother came over this morning to do laundry (her washer blew up and she’s waiting on a new one) and she turns TODAY on. Apparently the MTV awards were on last night but it was from 20 years ago??? Katy Perry, Britney Spears, flava flav, Carson Daly, and Lenny fucking kravitz? What the hell? Oh yeah and Taylor swift.

My mom can’t do stairs so the overlook won’t work. Googling shows me Lake Hollywood Park as a good view?

They also mentioned the Walk of Fame so I’ll add that, and if we have more time before their flight maybe the pier or someplace chill like Manhattan Beach. Going more for a LA isn’t a shithole vibe, was hoping it would pierce the Fox News bubble but that ship sailed.

Malibu Country Mart is ideal if you want a chill beachy place to visit. The beach/nature preserve is right across PCH.

1 Like