2024 LC Thread #1 - Elder Fraud Advice

Maybe I’ll take them to the epicenter lol… Wife was pretty shook up, I slept through all but the last second or two of it but she was at work and said it was pretty bad there. Looks like it was centered inland from Point Dume.

Just heard a loud banging at our door, thought my father somehow locked himself out and opened the door. Nope, it’s my neighbor trying to kick in the door, reeks of alcohol. Asks me what the hell I’m doing in his house. Dude, this is my house. He got super confused, asked me where his house was.

10:30 am and he was driving at 9:30am, miracle he didn’t hit anything. Had to remind him to get his dogs out of his car and turn it off.

1 Like

I have only been there to walk around the reservoir for exercise and remember parking to be very difficult and there being a big uphill from where you park to the walk. Given your description of your Mom I don’t think that’s a good solution for you.

The quake wasn’t too bad in Glendale, lighter than the last one. They have been pretty common in the last year, don’t know if that’s variance or an indication of something else…

1 Like

Thanks, saved us some hassle! I may just take them to that intersection with a good view of it - Hollywood and Highland, I can always loop around a bit if there’s no parking.

I did some research a couple weeks ago and unfortunately, experts say the whole “a bunch of small/medium ones releases tension and prevents a big one” thing has no basis. If anything, it means the faults are more active and we’re at higher risk for a big one.

That got me to buy 2 weeks worth of water and 10 days worth of packaged food, though. Hopefully we never need it.

2 Likes

sucks man…

i would consider calling the cops at that point.

He went back to his house, I made sure he wasn’t driving and told him to take his dogs inside and turn the car off. So figured I’d leave well enough alone. Went back out an hour later and the car was gone. :harold:

Hope that turns out ok, whatever it is.

Do not call the cops on a neighbor unless it’s way wilder than this. If there’s one thing nobody sane has it’s enough time and energy to get into an extended feud with a crazy person. If you ever do get forced into a feud with a crazy person the first move is to go out and make friends with the rest of your neighbors immediately. Dollars to donuts at least half of them already hate this person and you can organize some mutual defense that pops them back into their fucked up little life far away from you.

1 Like

I’ve never been to California but I bet you can see it from the end of the Santa Monica pier

If he’s drunk enough to go the wrong house he’s drunk enough to cause harm. Would have still called

This guy would have no idea who called the cops on him and likely wouldn’t remember what happened at all. He’s also going to drive again every time

Counterpoint: The cops are going to do exactly jack shit about the fact that he drove drunk an hour prior. Even if they wanted to, the case isn’t provable.

And getting my neighbor jammed up once he’s already home seems like a move with no upside for me, especially when this is (so far) a one off. Hopefully that’s all it is and I get some neighborly goodwill out of it.

Once he (presumably) drove off, calling seems worth considering, but I don’t know for sure that he drove off, could have been another family member.

That’s not the complaint, the complaint is some mega drunk asshole broke into your apartment and is still blackout drunk, about to do god knows what. Pointing out he just drove is the cherry on top. The point of doing it is to keep him from getting back in the car or breaking into someone else’s apartment.

You’re not calling the cops on some demented old lady. You’re calling the cops on a guy who is a serious risk to both himself and others.

Update: his car is gone, his wife’s car is gone, their lights are on, their dogs are barking, their upstairs balcony door is open, no signs of human life. I can see into their living room from the sidewalk walking past, didn’t go closer cause it’s not really my business.

I guess if the place looks the same, the dogs are barking, and neither car is around tomorrow, I text him on behalf of his dogs and if no response, I guess the right thing to do is report it to someone who can feed the dogs?

Rode a waymo twice today in San Francisco and it was such a great experience. Nice cars, super smooth driving, frictionless experience. 10/10.

My wife was very apprehensive at first but it’s amazing how fast we felt comfortable and safe. We rode first during the day and then after dinner at night. This is the first experience in a long time that felt like the future I was promised by 80s sci-fi movies.

3 Likes

Also San Francisco still a city in decline as advertised!

4 Likes

Gift link I found about a Bain guy torching Nike, @boredsocial @riverman alert

The Man Who Made Nike Uncool: Instead of transforming the sneaker giant into a high-tech powerhouse, John Donahoe pissed off partners and disappointed fans.

Under Donahoe, a veteran technology executive and consultant who arrived at Nike knowing little about sneakers and everything about server-side infrastructure and cloud storage elasticity, the company’s most successful shoes have been some of its oldest. His first two years were a triumph, as he deftly navigated the early stages of the Covid-19 pandemic and sales improved by about 25%. Donahoe flooded the market with sneakers shoppers couldn’t get enough of. Nike released more Dunks, Air Force 1s and Air Jordan 1s—models all developed around 40 years ago—in hundreds of colors, with new drops almost daily. These were lifestyle lines meant as streetwear, not to be worn on fields or courts by the athletes who’ve driven Nike’s business since its inception. Watching revenue pour in, Donahoe was hooked.

Donahoe’s strategy seemed to be working, until it didn’t. That recently abandoned shelf space was quickly filled by all of Nike’s top competitors: Adidas, New Balance, Puma, even Ugg. A flurry of running shoe brands, many of them upstarts such as Brooks, Hoka, On and Salomon, suddenly found themselves with more exposure, and they ate away at Nike’s market share in one of its most important categories. Meanwhile, at the company’s headquarters, the pace of product development slowed as Donahoe took fewer risks on performance-oriented shoe lines across sports. By mid-2023, it was becoming apparent that Dunks and the other reliable lifestyle winners were losing their allure, and Nike had nothing to replace them.

2 Likes

Such a shithole city obviously.

As an investor the CEO pay situation is actually just trivia for the real disease: outsiders brought in to be the CEO. It’s basically never the right choice and when it works out it’s dumb luck fps not getting punished.

A large corporation is first and foremost an institution. The single most necessary qualification for running an institution is that you understand how the institution works and why. You need to know who the key players are, what the key players want + why, and you need to know where the real problems are.

When you’re talking about an operation that employs 5000+ people scattered across the world (most major publicly traded companies are larger than this not smaller) that takes years and the best way to learn it is to work your way up over the course of a 20+ year career in that organization. Preferably you start in entry level sales or the management trainee program right out of college, and get promoted for being amazing 6-7 times culminating in you all but running the company as the guy/girl in charge of whatever part of the company is the industry bottleneck. If it’s semiconductors you should be who ran supply chain / manufacturing. If it’s reinsurance you should be an exceptional actuary + manager who deeply understands the companies risk profile. If it’s an energy drink company it’s route sales and the fight for floorplan or it’s marketing but preferably both. If it’s Nike it’s definitely a career shoe dog who has a history of picking the right marketing campaigns and signing athletes.

You hire some random outsider from some other company and all you get is the Dunning Kreuger effect with an overconfident outsider running around breaking shit willy nilly, calling it ‘cost savings’ (they do not understand why the company even does this when they turn it off), and hoping that nothing too serious goes wrong. It’s a massive gamble for a fairly small bump in earnings and I hate it.

If you want an earnings bump hire the SVP of operations to be the new CEO and tell him or her to trim the fat. What follow’s probably won’t lead to a bunch of new competing shoe company billionaires and slumping sales.

Hiring an outside CEO also disrupts the natural process of promotion inside the company you need to retain talent. You hire the CEO from within so that the SVP slot they were in is now open, which you fill with their best direct report, whose slot you fill with their best report, whose slot you fill with their best report, whose slot you fill with their best report. By not fucking up in a drastic way and bringing in an outside CEO you retain not one but several excellent employees the company is going to need in the years to come. You bring in an outside CEO and they frequently replace as much of the senior management with their own people as possible… which tells the internal talent they need to switch companies to get a promotion.

4 Likes