2024 LC Thread #1 - Elder Fraud Advice

This headline is bad and this rule seems completely dumb

https://www.si.com/tennis/2023/06/04/doubles-team-disqualified-miyu-kato-french-open-ball-girl

1 Like

Yeah I initially assumed it was a ball hit in anger, which is the only way it should result in a DQ. The ESPN headline is better, correctly calling an “errant hit”.

Also makes it clear that the umpire initially issued a warning but then the other team asked for a disqualification.

Also:

“She didn’t do it on purpose? She’s crying,” Sorribes Tormo said.

These two things are… not related.

DEAR OFFICE BUILDING MANAGERS: I am not going to do your job, if you expect me to PUSH THE BUTTON on the elevator instead of employing an elevator operator to do this for me I will take the stairs.

The whole idea of the modern grocery store is fully centered around the customer doing something that employees had done before (ie picking items off the shelves). Drawing the line here is just demonstrating ignorance

Counter point: self check out SUCKS

Self checkout rules for the consumer, idk why people get mad about it other than it’s putting people out of work.

I’m with the guy on the full tweet though. If you want to eliminate some jobs and make me scan my groceries myself, then fine I guess, but fuck off with this double-checking my work and treating all your customers like they’re potential thieves.

1 Like

How often does that actually happen though? I’ve been stopped for a receipt check maybe a handful of times in my life, it was years ago before anyone had self checkout, and in big box stores where you can actually walk out with small, expensive items. Literally never seen this in a grocery store.

I can understand people being disgruntled if new method takes longer but I don’t really get the outrage over having to show a receipt to take stuff out of the store. Seems pretty benign to me, I’ve never thought anything of it at Costco

I thought Ken Jennings had a AM I BEING DETAINED tweet about Costco but I can’t find it

Also, as evidenced by Costco (and others), the receipt check is not really an artifact of self-checkout.

1 Like

I’ve always been cool with Costco checking my receipt because:

1. They do it to literally everyone
  2. They do it efficiently
  3. Their return policies are elite

Shopped at Costco once and shopped at Sam’s Club once. I now conclude that belonging to either is a life leak.

Man there are a lot of bad takes on this site but hoo boy this may be top five

6 Likes

Meanwhile, in Indiana:

“After the foot pursuit began, Ms. Cupp brandished a firearm, discharged a single shot in the direction of pursuing officers, within the residential neighborhood,” Burcham said. “She starts to walk away, pulls a firearm out of her purse, and said something to the effect of ‘Today isn’t the day.’”

:grimacing:

I would be seriously concerned about this take but then remembered you don’t eat steak so I will allow it

2 Likes

Show your work

Why have you not posted this on the hot take thread?

I did not realize it was a hot take. My experience involved seeing gigantic portions of shit that I could not use. YMMV I guess.