2024 LC Thread #1 - Elder Fraud Advice

Interesting, I’ve never tried that. I’m a purist, but now I’m curious.

I haven’t made it to Angelos yet to confirn but it’s all the rage in South Philly. Mostly everyone I’ve heard rank current places is emphatic they are the best.

I’ve seen mozz a couple times. I think maybe the cheddar too.

I order American and have gotten a little side eye at the counter.

I’m witout American
Mrs is wit wiz

To be fair deep dish pizza is stunt food in Chicago. The Philly cheese steak sandwich is the opposite of stunt food.

I’ve had amazing baked goods in the la area. You can get a great pizza pretty much anywhere in the us imo.

1 Like

This belongs in the hot takes thread.

3 Likes

Alright, our resident Los Angelinos and San Diegans. Best pizza in SoCal… Let’s hear it. I will try it on a future trip and report back, almost certainly with a harsh review but hoping to be proven wrong.

I find the regional food snobbery a little suspicious these days. Given the ease of getting almost any ingredient shipped if needed I find it hard to believe you can’t get a good X in pretty much any city above a certain size. Obviously it may be more expensive or harder to find in some cities but to say it doesn’t exist is hard to believe unless it’s a super regional food item there is just no demand for elsewhere

2 Likes

We do not have good pizza. Your experiment is doomed.

Sorry.

We also don’t have good deli or bagels. Don’t even bother.

Fuck, I miss good bagels.

2 Likes

There are some pretty good bagels in LA. Not just the bagel-of-the-moment Montreal style that people are so excited about, there are also passable NY bagels here.

1 Like

This is correct. It just isn’t that hard to make good pizza; any any major city can do it. Maybe Chicago or whatever has dumb regional versions, but the basic tomato and mozzarella is a solved problem everywhere else.

I’m finding it pretty difficult to find good New York pizza here in the DC area.

Had exceptional Detroit style in Berkeley last week. Brewery tasting room with some food.

But of course you can find one-offs.

This place had great bagels when I was in LA.

this is the correct take. I especially like the snobbery for a fucking roll with chopped steak and cheese on it, like that is the pinnacle of culinary arts that can only be replicated in one specific city.

3 Likes

My wife and I spent a long weekend in Montreal last fall (very cool city!), and went to the two most famous bagel places and like…they were fine, and good, but we didn’t really get what all the hype was about. I feel like maybe you have to be from the east coast to grow up as a bagel snob or something, I like bagels but I’ve never understood the way people talk about them.

Bagel Broker was my go-to for years when my office was near there. Very solid.

OK, maybe LA has a couple decent bagel places, but definitely not SD.

Still no good deli though. For example, people here look at you like you have two heads if you ask for corned beef.

Oddly, there is a great cheesesteak shop in San Marcos owned by Philly natives. It was right down the street from my campaign office last year. I’ve had them in Philly, and this one was pretty damned close.

1 Like

On regional food stuff may sound ridiculous but IMHO on the power rankings of food you gotta get somewhere specific to be good I put sliced pineapple near the top. If my memory serves me it’s like a completely different fruit if you eat somewhere where it can ripen all the way and doesn’t have to be transported. Figs maybe same category too. Im convinced most cooked things can be made anywhere

1 Like

That’s how you find the good spots outside Philly, it’s gotta be run by transplants. When I was a kid, we had a New Orleans snowball place near us that was AMAZING, owned and operator by a couple New Orleans natives.