2024 LC Thread #1 - Elder Fraud Advice

Weight loss drug sidelines- see what shakes out with long term success and side effects.

Play as much tennis as my tendons etc will allow.

2 Likes

I saw an opening for an out of context vince sequence, no apologies :slight_smile:

:vince4:

1 Like

Thank you, the exact response I was looking for.

https://x.com/akie_works/status/1713743514847121758?s=20

1 Like

https://autos.yahoo.com/autos/butt-plug-allow-toyota-build-150500450.html

Eclipse Chaser Trip Report:

I’ve only ever witnessed a partial solar eclipse, and the annular eclipse was going to run practically through my backyard.

Plan A was to just head down to Eugene, a pretty short drive and plenty of e.g. public parks where we could stop and watch for a bit before heading home. However, the forecast was for clouds and maybe rain, so it seemed like we’d have better chances of seeing it on the other side of the Cascade mountains in the rain shadow. Plan B, just getting minimally over the mountains and stopping at some small town like Chemult seemed like the best option. Plan C, Crater Lake, would likely have some great views, but it was already swamped with people camping out there. Plan D, Klamath Falls, had the best weather forecast, but it would involve spending 10ish hours in the car driving down there and back. Not exactly the best way to spend my anniversary (:astonished:).

So, we left just after 5 am and made it to Chemult around 8:30 am. We stopped at a gas station for a potty break and, honestly, we might have just stayed there. We had a nice view of the eclipse at about 40% or so at that point. Maybe not the most glamorous setting, but it was fine, up until some high thin clouds rolled in from the south and covered up the view.

There didn’t seem to be any cloud breaks in the bank that was rolling in, so we figured the only way we could hope to see anything was to go north and beat the clouds. A few miles north we saw some clear sunlight illuminating a decent pull off on the side of highway 97 there, but while we caught a glimpse of the nearly maximal eclipse, the clouds caught up with us quickly. Back in the car.

It was clear a lot of other people were following this same plan, too. There was quite a caravan heading north on 97 hoping to outrace the clouds before either the annular eclipse peaked or getting too far north that you wouldn’t see the eclipse. We made it to about E on the map where we just pulled off to the side of the road about 5 minutes before the start of the peak and had to hope for the best. We hadn’t beaten the clouds, but we could see through them at times. Sometimes, the clouds themselves were juuuuust thick enough that you could photograph or even look at the eclipse unaided through them, and sometimes they thinned out enough that you had a good view through the usual glasses. We couldn’t always see the whole ring from where we were, but we got enough of a view of the ring for enough of the time that we counted it as a success.

13 Likes

Sounds like a fun adventure. I was semi-coincidentally in Bend with a buddy on Saturday. This was about the most we saw of the eclipse before the clouds socked in for good.

2 Likes

Cmon. You gotta say you climbed into the back of the truck and timed your anniversary celebration with the eclipse. Otherwise, what’s the point?

My kids and parents were along.

1 Like

IMG_0364

I live almost dead on ground zero for the big 2024 eclipse. I’m supposed to have almost 4 minutes of total eclipse.

2 Likes

I went to see the last total eclipse and definitely massive deal to be in the totality section, it’s completely different experience to see the 100% vs even 99.999%. For me the coolest part was right at the end of total when first beam of sun starts to peak out it was like getting stabbed in the face (in a good way) by its shear brilliance before you put the glasses back on

1 Like

Also in the 3+ minute path of totality.

Gonna be pissed if it’s cloudy.

1 Like

Yup, total eclipse is the most surreal thing I’ve ever seen. Everyone should try to see one.

1 Like

IMG_1917

1 Like

Yeah I drove 200 miles to Nashville to see the last one (2017?). Luckily I thought ahead and booked a hotel, which was worth it due to the amount of traffic. Absolutely worth it, just insane ROI.

Like, if you’re not in the totality zone you’re not even participating in the same event. It’s the difference between going to the Super Bowl and reading about it in the paper.

Yeah, my in-laws do too, so we’ll be there.

didn’t we just have a “what is the REAL midwest?” argument? can’t find it now, but anyway here’s an interesting map

https://twitter.com/MiddleWestRev/status/1714307627226726664

Over half of Oklahoma and Wyoming? Colorado over 40%? Arkansas and Idaho over 25%?

WTF at all of this.

2 Likes