2024 PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION: Debate Night - Walz vs Weirdo

They’re already quite triggered that it’s not Trump v Biden any longer.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/rbeggin/status/1815513590008365393?t=tSVvGjiE73D9U4_KPNQ2tw&s=19

Meanwhile in right wing conspiracy land, Biden is actually dead and this is all a Weekend at Bernie’s scenario.

I’m not certain I understand what the process is supposed to be at this point or what legal or constitutional constraints exist on who may be the nominee. I join those who say that, unlike Biden, for whom I did not vote in 2020, I would be motivated enough to vote for Harris. But I legitimately don’t understand what constraints exist on the nomination process.

Some primary process already took place in which, IIRC, some 14 million or so people (which is not very many) cast votes. The winner of the process was Biden (a winner is him). My understanding is also that the existing delegates who were going to–which is to say, I think, legally had to–vote for Biden have been released. Are these delegates now obligated to vote for Harris because she was the VP on the Biden ticket? Or is there a separate VP process? Or… could someone who actually knows about the law in this area explain it?

TY in advance.

I don’t know the specific details but based on how articles read appears the delegates are free to do whatever they want at this point although being Biden loyalists they would probably be inclined to voluntarily do what he recommends

Imagine living like that. Everything is upsetting and everything you don’t like is a conspiracy. What a bunch of miserable assholes.

Those delegates will be the delegates, but they are released from their obligation to vote for Biden. Most will vote for Harris because he endorsed her, and so far she’s well on her way to securing a majority of those delegates.

That seems… undemocratic, frankly. Or even anti-democratic.

1 Like

What do you think would be the best way to protect Democrats rights at this point if you feel they being infringed on?

I honestly don’t know what legal options exist. If the results of the previous primary process are no constraint on the delegates’ voting behavior, then it seems to me there should be a new primary. Ethically, I think that delegates should not be free to decide for themselves, based on endorsements and so on, for whom to vote.

A single day whole country primary certainly would be entertaining

Biden should have never run in the first place, and we should have had an open primary. But it’s too late for that. This process is fine, and criticism of it should really be criticism of Biden for putting us into this situation.

I’d have preferred an open convention with virtual votes by delegates after an open process, but Biden endorsed Kamala and everyone rallied around her. At this point, even if they ran a full primary (which is now impossible), she’d likely win and possibly only be opposed by like Joe Manchin or something.

I hear what you’re saying, and think the disconnect is that we think when we vote for a candidate we’re voting for that person, but we’re actually voting for a delegate/elector who is bound to vote for the candidate. But then if the candidate “releases” them they vote their conscience I guess?

So either that system needs to change, or we all need to be a lot more involved in the delegate/elector selection process, because in a case like this you better really trust the judgement of the people you’re actually voting for.

I just don’t see how a brand-new open primary could possibly have taken place given the time and logistics that’d be involved.

I’m not sure if this is a sincere post or not but there’s tons of maga dipshits deploying this disingenuously. like, the voters get their say in the general election. Saying they must be able to participate in the nomination isn’t really in the platonic democracy handbook I was given by thomas jefferson’s zombie. Why stop there? maybe the voters should get a say in who even runs in the primary? like, before you can even declare we need an up or down vote from the people. Also Joe biden should have to get voter approval to decide to drop out of the race!

1 Like

the constitution says literally zero about party nominations. it’s 100% up to the party how to conduct their nomination.

2 Likes

You mean like this one that my poker turned crypto turned MAGA cultist acquaintance sent me? Oh you mad Billlll!

That system is basically what gives the party some options in spots like this. When you vote for a primary candidate you’re trusting their campaign’s competence in selecting delegates that will basically match their views or be loyal to their endorsement in an event like this.

The real issue this cycle is that the primary was the equivalent of a football powerhouse playing a cupcake the first week of the year. It should have been a wide open race that didn’t involve Joe.

At the end of the day, none of this matters right now. We’ve got a not Trump, not Biden candidate and it’s time to rally around her. :coconut::palm_tree:

1 Like

I did a little digging and, here in MA, there’s a statute that requires the delegates to vote for the primary winner “unless released.” That’s the only legal constraint on their behavior I could find. I would assume other states have similar laws, but I have not looked into it.