2024 PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION: Debate Night - Walz vs Weirdo

Yeah this is not a surprising outcome at all hence why so many people were calling on Biden to step down. It was clearly obvious someone else would be better, that debate performance and the corroborating accounts that it wasn’t a fluke would just be impossible to overcome

1 Like

I think the take away is that asking people hypothetical questions on scenarios that don’t exist yet is not a good way to get very useful information

3 Likes

I mean sure… but it’d be pretty silly to use another set of data obtained from ‘asking people hypothetical questions’ to show that

And if you do a poll that indicates that Trump is +3 regardless of who he is running against, then the takeaway should obviously be that the polling is basically useless in terms of informing what the Dems strategy should be. It’s a nonsensical outcome.

It’s not useless but it’s limited… that’s been a point I’ve been making over and over again this cycle wrt polling due to some very odd set of splits.

1 Like

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/08/10/trump-campaign-hack-00173503

Of course it pays to be cautious with the Trump campaigns claimed they were hacked, though there seems to be some supporting reporting about some campaign hack from Iran or something.

“Robert” should be sure to send these to an outlet with the scruples of Fox News and whatever the f websites got the democrats stuff in 2016.

I

@TheDuker how much did you get?

https://x.com/akafacehots/status/1822293029434388959

1 Like

I took a $100 Starbucks gift card and then just stayed home. Unfortunately prices are so high that I can only buy a small cappuccino and two egg bites.

2 Likes

Maybe the check’s in the mail? :man_shrugging:

That’s such a weird conspiracy though. They’ve spent 10 years talking about “Trump Derangement Syndrome” and 40 years complaining about indoctrination by public schools, colleges, Hollywood, wokeness, etc. But somehow they’re willing to entertain a conspiracy of this magnitude instead of just believing the obvious: that there are easily 15,000 people in metro phoenix that are ready to be infused with hope and shocked that the Democrats finally seem to be doing something right instead of fumbling over and over.

I wasn’t there because I love Kamala. I’m not even a registered Democrat. I was there because I want to encourage the trajectory the Dems are on. Despair and frustration have been replaced with hope and I know I’m not alone in this. It feels historic.

I suppose it’s technically true that the rally was “invite only and not open to the public”. But the registration process was certainly open to the public.

Early in the week I knew there would be a rally on Friday but was not able to find any details in the media. I literally googled “harris rally phoenix rsvp” and came up with a link (https://www.mobilize.us/mobilize/event/656795/) that is now dead because the event is over. I filled out a form and got an email confirmation. At that time I don’t think the venue had been finalized, a map included in the registration strongly implied that it would be in downtown Phoenix. Edit: Eventually this registration was closed because I know people started getting a different page sometime Thursday that said the event was at capacity.

I got the final email “invite” on Thursday afternoon. I had to show this email to get into the parking lot, and again with matching ID to get into the arena. My invite was “general admission” and I have no idea how people qualified for the good seats. I guess maybe they were the paid actors.

4 Likes

https://x.com/JosephJourdan/status/1822365820233961805

3 Likes

Lotta good schadenfreude here (gift link): Inside the Worst Three Weeks of Donald Trump’s 2024 Campaign (from MAGA Haberman and Jonathan Swan)

lol imagine being one of these rich deplorable dipshits and begging this guy to give you a reason to keep lighting your money on fire for him, and he’s just not capable

2 Likes

Like this is bullshit he’s trying to will into existence, right? This is why I think he’s gonna dip from the ABC debate despite “agreeing” to it

3 Likes

He’s still trying to bait her into doing the Fox News debate, and if she does there’s a 0% chance he shows to the others.

https://x.com/ArtCandee/status/1822451466679816415

That still sounds like a bad idea.

That is an incredibly bad idea. The entire tax system is predicated on people paying tax on income. You eliminate tax on one kind of income and all of a sudden everyone will make just that type of income and it will break the whole fucking system.

You all getting too worked up, seems like a great idea to float in Las Vegas after your adversary has done so. What would happen after lawmakers thought about it for 30 seconds isn’t her problem right now

2 Likes

If only there was some way to put limits on what can and can’t be considered a tip and who can and can’t report tips?

For service workers is going to be the key word. There’s going to be an income cap on this if it happens. Honestly it doesn’t really do much because the actual tipped service workers rarely are paying much in the way of income tax. They pay taxes like poor people usually do by not getting paid anything close to what their labor is worth, consumption taxes, and property taxes very much included in their overpriced rent.

But I agree in general tax carve outs like this are always a bad idea. Just look at the damage the long term capital gains tax rate has done.

Incredibly dumb for many reasons:

1. If it’s such a good idea, why are they not doing it right now?
  2. Tipping is obnoxious and needs to go away.
  3. Income should not be taxed or not taxed depending on how it is obtained.
  4. It’s conceding a point that Trump has good ideas sometimes.
  5. If we’re going to focus on tax policy, it should be about increasing rates on very high income earners and increasing enforcement of underpayment by people in those brackets.
3 Likes

How confident are you that there won’t be exploitable loopholes?

Anyway, I agree with Surf that this is probably a throw-away campaign promise that Harris has no intention to actually fulfill.