2024 PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION: Kamala Got Her Vibes Back With a Miller High Life

This is not a one news cycle story. It’s going to be THE STORY the entire fucking election. You won’t hear dick about abortion, 1/6, criminal convictions, nothing.

Just watch the fucking tape man. That man has no business being anywhere near this office.

5 Likes

I’m starting to think he’s not going to be able to ride it out, there are going to be more polls like the New Hampshire one and the pressure to drop out is going to be enormous.

Peak Democrats will be the party holding on to Biden for too long and then finally caving and trying to replace him, only to fuck it up and run afoul of a bunch of state laws and have SCOTUS rule that the replacement can’t be on the ballot in a bunch of states that matter thus handing the election to Trump before it takes place

1 Like

Do you mean this as a considered ranking against other terrible debate performances? Could you list the top three worst besides Biden? Not a challenge, I’m just curious and would gladly watch clips for comparison.

Based on historical knowledge, I’d say Biden is the worst, Nixon second worst, and Trump v. Biden in 2020 is probably third worst. You asked for three other than Biden, so I’d throw Dukakis on there.

1 Like

https://x.com/semafor/status/1807932920436285799

LOL they think the NATO summit is going to turn this around? Man, this White House definitely inhales.

I appreciate the examples. Not required but we’d get some robust railing if you have any YouTube clips to recommend.

I mainly know about the Nixon one from history class, he was apparently sweating profusely. Dukakis was a question about what if his wife was raped, would he support the death penalty, and he gave a robotic response. Trump was just interrupting Biden constantly and coming off as a loud asshole, leading to Biden’s “C’mon, man,” or whatever it was. Also spouting endless lies, as we all are used to by now. Should be able to find some clips on YT off those descriptions if you’re interested.

1 Like

When I think about winning elections, I aim to validate my opponents" core messaging rather than fighting back against them

1 Like

https://x.com/Politics_Polls/status/1807896620069257494

HarrisX on May 30:

Head-to-Head
Trump 51
Biden 49

5-way
Trump 43
Biden 41
Kennedy 13
West 2
Stein 2

So Trump has lost 4 points nationally head-to-head, Biden has lost 8, net improvement of 4 points for Trump. Five ways, Trump holds steady, Biden loses 6%, and surprisingly RFK loses 3%. So more undecideds.

I forget exactly where, but in the mess of articles I’ve read since Thursday I remember one of them claiming that people who watched on TV thought Kennedy won that debate, whereas people who listened on the radio thought Nixon won.

3 Likes

Okay just posting these then for myself and anyone else looking for distraction.

1 Like

Yes, I remember learning that now that you bring it up.

1 Like

Ah, it was here:

Biden’s performance was extremely lackluster, although the words he said were generally more true than false. Viewers who know the facts could (usually) navigate the president’s garbled delivery to hear that his answers were rooted in reality. Except for a few moments of personal sniping, the two were not so much debating as participating in parallel; there were not enough agreed-upon facts between the two for any kind of debate. The fact-checking notionally came later, during the panel conversations after the debate and online, as part of the after-the-debate programming that we masochistically also tuned into. They mostly talked about the performances there, too.

A big problem with this is that undecided voters are generally not people who are following real-time fact checking of the debate online, and they’re surely not sticking around for the analysis afterward. That stuff is for nerds like us, people who have cleared calendars and three screens going on every debate night. We know what we are looking for, and watch to see it. Undecided voters are watching the debate to help them decide. That’s the point of having the debate in the first place. This means that the decision to cordon off any fact checking to post-debate spin coverage and supplemental online material, which in this case amounts to a decision to allow all kinds of wild lies onto the air without the slightest challenge, is a dereliction of duty masquerading as civic facilitation. If it allowed the performers to perform unimpeded, it also permitted them to make those performances out of whatever fictions and slurs they deemed most useful. Without any fact checking, undecided voters are left making their decision based on who they felt made a more compelling case, or just who made their case more compellingly. Without any fact checking, that person was undoubtedly Trump. It’s the 1960 debate between Nixon and Kennedy all over again: Television viewers deemed Kennedy the winner, while radio listeners who missed Nixon’s sweaty visuals thought Nixon won.

It doesn’t matter that every other word Trump said onstage was a lie. It doesn’t even matter if every news site and pundit on TV says so the next day. The moment in which those lies could have been pointed out to greatest effect was during the debate, and that moment has passed. The decision not to do so was not just the most basic journalistic malpractice—if the job is not to tell people what is true and what isn’t, I don’t know what it is—but very clearly a decision to prioritize a clean and orderly television production over that production’s ostensible civic purpose. If the broadcast is not going to engage with the things that are actually being said onstage, I just don’t know what we’re doing here. Or I guess I do: We’re just watching TV.

I mean, holy shit, Biden at 35% in a poll with all candidates available in a Harvard/Harris poll four months out.

Quick eDems, swoop in to tell me I’m overreacting again! Totally normal, go vote, please donate $20!

1 Like

I think it’s potentially pretty wrong to believe that the public’s perception of Biden’s cognitive ability was essentially a non-factor between Hur and now. On the contrary, I think it has been one of the biggest contributors to his polling weakness. The debate just worsened and solidified it.

1 Like

That’s not quite what I’m saying. It’s obviously a weakness of Biden’s, but the Hur stuff didn’t seem to have a lasting negative impact on him despite it causing a massive (albeit smaller than this one) media freakout when it happened in early February. The 538 poll tracker doesn’t seem to go back that far unless there’s tweakable settings somewhere I can’t find, but here’s the Economist’s:

With Hur, it looks like Biden was already looking at a big gap when it happened and then closed it afterward.

ITS TIME FOR SOME GAME THEORY YALL

https://twitter.com/igorsushko/status/1807603930601578971

I also read people claiming his mic was clearly hacked