Abortion

No, I’m putting it all on Republican politicians and their voters. Not this specific woman, just in general. These are going to keep happening until they fix their insanely draconian laws.

The Oklahoma law makes it a felony punishable by 5 years in prison to provide an abortion to anyone unless it is “necessary to preserve” the life of the woman. That wording means it needs to be certain that they would die without the abortion, which puts doctors in the position of either taking 5 years in jail or trying to time it perfectly to say “she’s 100% going to die without this.”

So you get situations just like this one.

Holy shit:

Well I hadn’t heard of that and it’s terrifying.

Considered working in Texas for quite a while. Jobs listed for 380/hr were common. Figured I could pay off some loans and whatnot but ended up figuring there was a reason it was so high.

the woman was certain to die without the abortion. feel like I’m in crazyland here. she is the victim, the doctor isn’t. regardless how she voted, which do we even know?

Yea man. If only we knew.

"Before February, Jaci Statton wasn’t particularly focused on Oklahoma’s abortion bans. “I was like, ‘Well, that’s not going to affect me. I won’t ever need one,’ " she says.”

She never thought the Leopard would eat HER face. Fuck her and everyone like her that makes my state an unlivable hell hole.

2 Likes

I don’t think I’m calling the doctor the victim. I’m saying the doctor isn’t the perpetrator. They legally have to wait until the abortion is necessary to preserve her life. I’m sure the hospital’s lawyers have defined what that means for their staff, and advised them on when they can and cannot perform an abortion. Their definition likely involves some sort of crash that is indisputably going to lead to death without action.

Also as CN pointed out it’s not just the doctor taking the risk. Like 5-6 people are needed for that operation and all of them have to be willing to walk into a personal life buzzsaw to prevent this woman from going through something admittedly dangerous and extremely unpleasant.

I get where TheDudeAbides is coming from obviously, I just think it’s unrealistic. It’s extremely rare to find one person willing to walk into a buzzsaw. I mean how many times have we seen scandalous cowardice from people actually obligated to do that? Expecting people to be martyrs is super meh. I know I wouldn’t do it.

Right, and not only this but every time the situation arises. Plus you have to trust everyone around it not to report the procedure and contradict the opinion that it was necessary to preserve her life.

I think the main disagreement I have with TheDude is this:

They are absolutely going to try, if not now, soon.

yeah anyone who thinks otherwise has had their head in the sand

Texas!

NC GOP held the line and overcame the veto, they’ve got a 12 week abortion ban now.

A Fifth Circuit panel (featuring three brain-dead Republican appointees incl. James Ho) is hearing the mifepristone challenge and it is predictably going batshit.

Live updates here. I think the best we can hope for is that the opinion they write is so deranged that, like with Kacsmaryk’s, SCOTUS can’t possibly let it stand until they consider the full issue.

This is the conclusion of a story from February linked here.

link | non-paywall link

1 Like

this requires hospitals/doctors to go along with it

No, it doesn’t. It requires cops and lawyers and law makers who don’t give a shit about your rights to threaten your life and livelihood. Doctors and hospital administrators aren’t heros and aren’t expected to stand up to the government.

which law enforcement agency is forcing them to do this? who has been charged? it’s them covering their asses.

glad we’ve repeatedly established that hospital officials and doctors and their lawyers livelihoods who make many multiples of their victims’ is more important than their patients’ well being

I remember reading about this case last year due to the novel-ish aspect of the state subpoenaing her Facebook messages. Now the daughter faces up to 2 years in prison and her mom faces up to 8.

Pains me to post a tweet from someone with a bitmoji avatar, but

1 Like

@jwax13 I assume OK Republicans are declaring war on the state supreme court now? Any idea how hard it will be to fuck with them?