Arguing about whether the economy is in fact good or bad

The origin of this thread was something like, “Should Joe Biden run on bragging about his economic success for the bottom 50%?”

It’s gotta be below average in cost, though, and it’s currently relevant.

I mean yeah, it’s cheaper than meat and prepared hot foods, but branded cereal is extremely high margin, and shouldn’t be considered by someone trying to stretch their food budget.

Not to mention that on a nutritional content per dollar basis, it’s basically dead last.

I agree, I am not suggesting anyone eat that way, but I think it’s unreasonable for anyone to eat cheaper than that (or even that cheap).

Actually looking at it more closely, corn flakes is more expensive by weight (~$4/lb) than chicken breast ($3/lb).

It’s 1.3M people which is yes the bottom tiny fraction of the workforce probably heavily concentrated in the poorest parts of the poorest states of the country… or they’re rich kids who don’t need to pay rent.

commonWealth was basing it off of $/calorie, you’d need to eat ~2.67 pounds of chicken breast to get 2,000 calories so it’s still about $8.

A lot of water in meat, corn flakes not so much.

Well for everyone, which he absolutely should and is foolish to do otherwise as the incumbent

Why aren’t you poors happy about the economy?

https://x.com/lasvegaslocally/status/1771252598789542382?s=46&t=mdG4vqCfpbP4Xp4esdQ98A

Do you have any actual data to support that they arent?

Of course “the economy” can be “doing well” and economically disadvantaged people can be suffering at the same time. Bizarre stuff itt.

“Comfortably” is doing a lot of work here:

To determine how much money is needed to live comfortably in the largest metro areas, we used the 50/30/20 rule to define a comfortable lifestyle. This rule is a budgeting strategy that allocates 50% of after-tax income to basic living expenses (needs), 30% to discretionary spending (wants) and 20% for savings or debt payments.

They further describe anybody who’s not meeting this threshold as facing “the pressure of living paycheck to paycheck.”

I’m sure it’s difficult to come up with objective measurements for this stuff, but the conclusion that the average American family of 4 needs an income of $235,000 in order to qualify as “comfortable” seems silly. A single person making $100K in Phoenix is not living paycheck to paycheck unless they are choosing to do so.

Man, I don’t know much about the cost of living in Nevada, but I’m calling bullshit on a family of 4 needs $240k in Vegas to live “comfortably.”

Yeah that article is yet another example of bullshit with numbers. The number I want is spending power above baseline necessities expressed in dollars not percentages.

How are you supposed to live in a Million Dollar home, have two new car loans, send your kids to private school, and have enough money left over to fund your candle budget on less than $240k/year?

1 Like

Are economic conditions for workers in Las Vegas worse now than some time in the past ?

The age of the forum mainly. Actually come to think of it I’m pretty sure there’s at least one other old guy here who probably has a reasonable retirement incoming.

When the market doubles minimum wage you do not have a minimum wage. In the US the only places that pay minimum wage are special situations/places. You can pay minimum wage to real workers in the poorest zip codes in the US, everywhere else what you’re seeing is a job people actually want really bad and paying massively less than it costs to live is how rich people reserve those jobs for their offspring (a whole other problem).

People fundamentally misunderstand the purpose of a minimum wage in economic design. They think it’s to protect poor people from being exploited, but I think it’s to protect the taxpayer and make sure the entry level prestige jobs are viable for the best possible candidate. If your business depends on employees working for less than a living wage I want your business to close tomorrow and decrease surplus supply for whatever it is that you sell so that prices for your product/service can normalize around what it actually costs to provide it. Nobody is entitled to a way of life that depends on someone else living in poverty and needing substantial public resources to be expended to make up the difference. We probably have too many chain restaurants and way too much retail space.

I would really like to see UBI be the solution because I despise means testing. It seems like a good idea on paper, but in practice it’s a large net negative in almost every case. The cost savings are never worth the administrative costs and create really bad incentives and outcomes.

3 Likes

Suck it up poors !!!11111

The economy is great!!!1111

1 Like