Arguing about whether the economy is in fact good or bad

yeah these reports (things like this and 65% of people are living paycheck to paycheck) are nearly always bullshit. I’m sure this one is too.

It’s also from 13 years ago.

I really cannot express how little respect I have for surveys carried out by groups whose goals/funding I don’t understand and won’t be bothering to research.

I actually think the survey is outdated tech that we need to stop using asap in favor of much more accurate data that doesn’t depend on asking people questions they can respond to with lies. Don’t tell me what people think tell me what people are actually doing. The only real purpose behind surveys is as a double check on your more concrete action based metrics to make sure they’re actually capturing the situation and not missing anything.

I’m really tired of Boomers using focus groups and surveys as an excuse to do the laziest shitty remake version of everything (government policies, art, business decisions). Especially questions like ‘how do you feel about universal single payer healthcare?’ Who cares what they think about it when it doesn’t even exist yet? How is that relevant to anything?

I had to buy a flexible downspout extender from Home Depot to replace the one I bought 6 years ago. The one I bought today was 2.2% cheaper than 2018.

Thanks Biden!

Another win for homeowners.

2 Likes

Just wait until it breaks tomorrow because it’s 95% thinner material.

Although more seriously it is always interesting which items are randomly 3x more expensive a few years later and what is just rock steady

Move to Vegas, buy a home!

It doesn’t have to be Vegas, just threw that out since I know how you prefer to make your money. But there’s plenty of places to buy a decent home that I’m guessing are more affordable than what you’re renting.

Looks like all those structural problems about the economy have changed! Or that opinion is a lagging indicator and malleable

https://x.com/jstein_wapo/status/1773365857558647249?s=46&t=N0_fcOKIYYmlCS2e4YShsQ

1 Like

That picture makes me sad.

Elite games like Codenames, Azul, Isle of Cats, Wingspan either practically on the floor or unreachably high. While the complete dumpster fire that is Throw Throw Burrito is right at eye level.

1 Like

Highest level in the Consumer Sentiment Index since July 2021, awesome! Let’s see how that compares to pre-covid times. Oh, lower than at any point since the end of the recovery from the global financial crisis? Maybe that’s not so great!

Once again, the message should be, “things are getting better, but we’re not there yet, the recovery has been too weak for the working and middle class, and that’s why you need to vote for Democrats to fight for those people (insert ways they’ll do that here).” The message should not be, “Things are great, vote for us for more of the same!”

What would you say Azul compares to? Heard good things and want to add it to the arsenal, but I can’t get a good handle on what the gameplay is actually like from the description.

Sagrada is the most obvious comparison (besides the Azul sequels themselves), but if you don’t know Azul you might not know that one.

I’d say Splendor or Century Spice Road? Neither are exact matches, but they are similar with regards to complexity and overall feel of the game.

1 Like

You keep treating this as if it’s some sort of actual fact and not super dependent on messaging. If you tell people things aren’t good they will believe you, and vote Republican.

Also this report beat expectations and is a lagging indicator. This response isn’t really valid

People know when you’re pissing on them and telling them it’s raining. It’s at 79, it’s been around 95 for much of the last decade, and the only time it’s been lower than this was during/after the financial crisis and during/after COVID.

Telling people things are great right now is like spiking the football and doing a dance after getting a first down while the clock is running in the two-minute drill. Your fans would be furious at the wasted time, get back to the line of scrimmage and show them how you’re going to get another first down and another, and eventually score.

See that’s our fundamental disagreement here. They don’t know that. You’re giving people far more credit than they deserve. The CPI in 2020, with the same or worse foundational economic inequalities and realities they face today was much higher. The things you complain about wrt the economy haven’t changed in that time whatsoever. The messaging did.

Part of what changed the last month or so is Biden talking about helping first-time home buyers and bringing housing prices down! And the sentiment index went from 76 to 79, it was at 79 in January and dipped in February. The index was between 92 and 99 from 2015-2019, and between 85 and 108 from 1994-2007. 79 is not a number to celebrate here.

It’s improving, and that’s good, but this isn’t the time to put the Mission Accomplished banner up.

2 Likes

Ain’t shit been done about it and it would wholly irrational for this to change things. This supports my point of view, if true

My original point was that he shouldn’t run on the economy being good, he should run on improving it for the middle/working class and in particular housing costs, so I don’t know how the above supports your point of view, but ok.

As the incumbent, you have to run on the idea that things are good and will improve if you continue your work. Not selling both is just bad politics