Cancel Culture: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Hamline University? Sounds fake. Nope, real. Our own Atrupar went there. First reply tweet to the tweet below.

She had both a trigger warning in the course syllabus, and the day of. The work itself is considered a masterpiece of Islamic Art. Yeah, this is pretty bad.

First they came for my medeival paintings, and I did nothing.

1 Like

Debated putting this in GOP Insanity because it’s very in line with their politics, but feels at home in a thread about policing speech too

https://mobile.twitter.com/JeffreyASachs/status/1613200559820906496

3 Likes

I think this one goes in the “good” bucket

[x] cancelled

5 Likes

Was about to say, too bad I don’t think he crossed a legal line oh wait that’s his employer lol

Holy fuck how ridiculous is republican brain rot that you can read that book and think it’s about anything OTHER than teaching kids about discrimination.

Dr. Seuss seems like he’d make some bangin political cartoons these days, during WW2 he published a bunch:

3 Likes

The city of Frankfurt cancels Roger Waters concert over accusations of being antisemitic. I deliberately write “accusation” because too often opposition to Israel’s treatment of Palestinians is relabeled antisemitism.

I think this is a good write up:

In the past concerts of his in Poland were cancelled over his support for Putin’s invasion of Ukraine. So fuck him.

Conservatives: HOW DARE YOU CANEL DR. SEUSS???

Also Conservatives: Well, we can cancel THIS Dr. Seuss!

Sarcasm aside, this shit works. They control the conversation and the Overton Window on ~everything by being angrier and louder. These kids and future kids in that class won’t hear that story, and will miss an opportunity to learn that discrimination is bad. It’s a win for conservatives, no matter how many NPR stories make them look like clowns.

How is it 2023 and people still haven’t figure out that you’ll get fired for being a horrible piece of shit on your public Facebook feed?

I suspect the reaction to this will be less “cancel culture run amok!” and more “Scott who? Never heard of him.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/media/2023/02/25/scott-adams-dilbert-canceled/

1 Like

Surprised it took this long given where he’s been in the past:

gee, if only we had signs before now that the Dilbert guy was a huge racist!

amuck*

1 Like

“It’s not cancel culture if I agree with the cancellation”

I mean, if a famous white guy can’t yell the n-word from his rooftop on video and face no societal repercussions whatsoever, do we even have a country anymore?

Makes you wonder!

The right wing legal world is furious about this story - an own-the-libs, anti-gay Trump judge was invited to speak at Stanford by their Federalist Society, and this lifetime-tenured federal judge had to be subjected to the horror of heckling from protesting students, reigniting all the right’s “free speech on campus” alarms:

1 Like

Is there a video of the prof breaking down?