COVID-19: Year 4 - You down with JN.1?

shocked_pikachu

7 Likes

:shocked_pika:

:letthemfight:

:vince: thanks Duker!

2 Likes

:shocked_pika:

I don’t know much about the biology at work here or what this kind of analysis is doing, other than that it seems like one person is shitting so much unique COVID into wastewater that it shows up like a blaring alarm, and that is hilarious

Is it possible that some dude is just growing shittons of this stuff in Petri dishes and flushing it to fuck with the data?

@McTrollson

1 Like

I have not been anywhere near Columbus.

4 Likes

idk, these wastewater studies have been delivering goofy results since the start of the pandemic, I don’t really trust them much.

This one has me contemplating being mostly done with masks…

Their long COVID rate among vaxxed & boosted was 1.8% and then metformin after pozzing would reduce it further. I think that’s getting the risks down into the CFS after flu range.

Seems like a high quality trial, but I haven’t read it all yet.

1 Like

I got to witness a coworker (well, someone at my company, not a guy I know or work with) argue that COVID was circulating in NYC for months in early 2020 and only became a problem when people freaked out, causing a spike of iatrogenic deaths.

CN’s blood pressure is probably already boiling but for the rest of you I will save you the Google search for the definition of that word (at least, I had to look it up): he thinks medical intervention killed all supposed COVID victims.

It’s wild the shit that people will say out loud to a large audience.

1 Like

Yeah that’s a pretty popular theory right now. Kinda weird to have a popular conspiracy theory be that you personally killed dozens of people

1 Like

So they are saying that if they just stayed home with their sniffles they’d have gotten better, but going to the hospital let the blood merchants collect their grisly trophies?

That’s actually a smarter conspiracy tale than the rest because it accounts for excess deaths.

What’s metformin?

1 Like

Can’t die in the hospital if you don’t go to the hospital.

3 Likes

Waves in Jewish.

Diabetes drug with not much in the ways of side effects. Doubt it prevents long Covid tbh

The story is that doctors put too many patients on ventilators because they are too stupid and/or evil.

The kernel of truth that this comes from is that we changed who we intubated for Covid in late March/early April. At that time we started using noninvasive ventilation techniques where people were wearing masks. This wasn’t done initially because no one did that before and we thought it was particularly unsafe for health care workers. I took a volunteer only job managing this kind of patient.

Later studies showed no changes in mortality, but it did save ventilators

1 Like

It also reduces obesity, albeit much more slowly than some of the wonder drugs out there - but that could be the mechanism of action.

Diabetes is a big risk factor for both severe and long COVID, so it makes sense to me in a hypothetical sense that poorly regulated/high blood sugar makes one vulnerable to severe/long COVID, normal blood sugar does not, and low-end healthy blood sugar is protective. That’d be my non-medical expert but common sense guess.

There has also been some early research that metformin extends lifespan and prevents Alzheimer’s, too early to say for sure, but it appears sugar/carb regulation is a big deal in these areas if that research holds.

Correct me if I’m wrong CN, but metformin is a pretty low risk drug to take, right? Wouldn’t this be a lot more like taking aspirin because it might reduce covid-related clotting risk and has no downside risk than taking something with more serious side effect risks? Pretty close to a freeroll, right?

The list of studies that have claimed sort of benefit for aging, obesity, whatever for metformin is quite long.

The list of studies that were repeated is quite short