COVID-19: Year 4 - You down with JN.1?

Yeah I think that’s been showing up in studies dating back to the fall at least, just good to know that vaccines are significantly reducing the risks. I don’t feel particularly bad for the anti-vaxxers who are going to suffer from all the stuff vaccines could prevent, but I feel terrible for their kids who will suffer through no fault of their own.

I know there’s an argument that the anti-vaxxers are victims of disinformation and we should feel sympathy, but given the degree to which they overlap with the racists and sexists and general basket of deplorables, I can’t bring myself to care.

So I’m reading some stuff about the new variant, I guess it’s called Eris. Lots of quotes about not worrying about it, because the vaccines should work reasonably well to prevent severe outcomes. That’s great and all, but three out of four times the experts being quoted are not specifying that people should be getting their boosters!

If you just tell people, “Don’t worry, the vaccines work against this!” then most people will conclude that means they’re already fully protected. The reality is the protection wanes significantly after 3-4 months, and probably continues to wane over time, and the protection from the OG shots < the protection from one bivalent booster < the protection from two bivalent boosters and is probably < the protection from the XBB boosters coming this fall.

IMO everyone should be getting boosted every six months (that’s my informed but non-expert opinion, governments don’t seem to share it) and anyone who isn’t getting boosted once per year is taking on a lot more risk than they probably realize.

My experience with Covid was… You’re not going to mistake it for allergies.

3 Likes

Seems like peoples’ experiences vary quite a bit, though, but I don’t think I’ve had it in the last few weeks with the allergy symptoms.

For severity, I think the number of jabs also matters a lot. How many shots had you had and how far removed were you? I’m hopeful that if I catch it, it’ll be mild because I have had seven shots iirc, including two bivalent boosters, the most recent in mid-May.

I’ve lost count of how many boosters I’d had at the point that I got it, but it was a bunch. I got it in March and I got the most recent booster in, I’d say early fall? Whenever the bivalent was first approved, i got that immediately. So I might have been a good 5 months removed from the booster give or take.

1 Like

I also went from: A little tired the night before, to, feeling kind of sick the morning of so I’d better take a test to be safe (positive) to, holy shit this is the sickest I’ve ever felt in my life that evening.

Every adult that I know who had Covid was legitimately sick. I suspect the “it’s just allergies” people are the kinds of people who deny being sick, go into work sick, etc. Now my youngest daughter on the other hand (4 at the time), she was not really very sick at all. We only tested her because her older sister was positive.

Yeah it seems like a lot of people are catching it 4+ months after being boosted… Which is coming up for me. I’m three months out now, and in another month I plan on being a lot more careful - mainly because my wedding is in early October and I don’t want to have COVID for the wedding or right before it. So mid-September I’ll ramp precautions back up. Hopefully I can run good at not catching it til then.

I guess the flip side is if I fade it and then catch it at the wedding or something (we’re doing it outdoors though), it’ll be more severe than if I catch it now. But hopefully I stay team NOVID as long as possible.

Yeah I’ve heard this a lot too, that it ramps up super fast.

Probably a mix of that and people who catch it in close proximity to a booster or a previous case. Or just those who get a low viral load and have a strong immune system.

Clearly something different is happening in the United States than in other countries but it isn’t due to vaccination rates.

Vaccination rates:
United States 81.8%
Australia 87.3%
Austria 76.6%
Belgium 80.6%
Britain 79.3%
Canada 90.9%
France 83.8%
Germany 78.0%
Japan 82.8%
Netherlands 74.6%
Sweden 77.4%
Switzerland 70.4%

3 Likes

Oh it’s suicide. Record high this year

1 Like

Also things like heart disease and diabetes, right? I feel like we are really unhealthy in that regard compared to Europe.

The cause of the drop is drug use and suicide. Don’t think heart disease and whatever is causing the drop. A part of the overall difference sure

1 Like

That’s my plan as well. Just easy to remember to get both at the same time.

My next trip to Disney is October 7th. I would really like to get the whole family the updated boosters 2 weeks before then, but I’ll settle for 1 week. Odds of that happening?

Naw my only confirmed case was actually pretty similar to really bad allergies. Tired, low energy with a constantly runny nose and sneezing.

No fever?

Is fentanyl a big part of that? It’s hard to tell given the constant overblown copaganda of “omg this cop almost died from getting a waft of fentanyl in a traffic stop”.

I don’t think the vaccination rates tell the whole story. That’s everyone who had at least two shots. Boosters are really important.

Then why does it coincide with COVID? Random variance? Or tangential pandemic related causes like stress that wasn’t as bad elsewhere?

On the bright side thought I read somewhere that dementia death rate went down

:harold: :harold: :harold:

Covid is involved too

Drug use and suicide both become more acute problems in the wake of Covid.