COVID-19: Year 4 - You down with JN.1?

Yup, just got back from the ped, he heard it while listening to her breathing and prescribed decadron. Here’s hoping.

I’m the only one still on team Novid in my family now. Seems unlikely I’ll dodge this one though, kids were all over me yesterday before the pos test.

Going to see how I feel as today goes on. Woke up feeling a little better, so we’ll see.

Good luck! Hopefully you feel better and get the “just a cold” experience.

Was typing COVID19 and the 1/9/23 on bottom of screen was also visible and I felt like I was hallucinating

1 Like

I’ve been curious about this recently, and with the new digs and recent positive reports, it seems like a good time to do this again (plus I’d like to try out the polling feature here):

How many times have you had COVID-19? As verified by a test, or verified exposure plus symptoms.

0 voters

[ Anonymous fwiw ]

Hopefully there’s no need for 6 or more!

Both shocked and not shocked at the 41 percent like me who answered zero, but we have got to be in the top 1 percent of the population for both vaxxing and precautions. Also, I’m probably going to have to change my vote in a few days.

1 Like

you might be surprised - twice now I’ve been living with people very ill from covid and never showed a single positive test. I have had every vaccine at earliest I could get it. my bivalent was in september. I’m planning on just getting whatever shots in my arm I can every 6-12 months, they seem to work very well.

I’m all pfizer fwiw.

Sure seems like this Diamond from D&S died with covid per some wild rumor mongering

Hey, so I’m in a bit of an interesting predicament and I was hoping to see what everyone suggests here …

I have never (to the best of my knowledge) had COVID, and have tested pretty frequently over the past three years. Still wearing masks in all indoor public spaces. Even small family gatherings of 3-4 people, we open all our windows with an air purifier running, haven’t dined out indoors save for 1-2 occasions shortly after the initial vaccine, and am trying to stay as vigilant as possible. Fully-vaccinated, with the bivalent booster, the whole deal. We also have a newborn who gets his first jab next week (WOO!)

Here’s my conundrum; I have 3-4 work related trips coming up in the next two months. These are major networking opportunities, where being in indoor crowded spaces and dining indoors is pretty unavoidable, unfortunately.

My question is; What are everyone’s thoughts on getting a SECOND bivalent booster, if I was last boosted in early October? Are there downside risks I should consider? I’m pretty concerned about the long-COVID risk above all else and was curious what everyone’s thoughts are on getting another booster jab or suggestions to minimize my risk the best I can when masking isn’t possible.

Thanks in advance for any and all insight!

bivalent boosters are already out? I’m waiting til march-april to see about getting one, I got it around then.

my sister’s FIL has been violently ill with covid and all this other stuff, maybe immune compromised, and just waltzes around with zero vaccine. blows my mind

Pretty sure the risks of a second boostie are completely minimal.

This would be shot #6 for @BasicBlue, and a shorter gap between #5 and #6 than the six month gap Blue has had before. He and I talked about it and I told him it’d be a good idea to post because we don’t know for sure if there is risk of vaccinating too often - either in terms of some of the risks from the vaccine (which to be clear are far lower than the risks of catching covid, let’s not get it twisted) or in terms of risking exhaustion to the immune system by vaccinating too frequently.

Not a doctor but I’m petty sure a second booster isn’t going to do that.

Yes, they’ve been out since…September-ish, iirc? Check the recommendations but I think it’s prob recommended for you to get it asap if I’m interpreting the above correctly (that your last booster or infection was like 9 months ago).

1 Like

oh, the booster is the one I already have. I thought that was a new shot. my pony is not super fast, the edibles hit hard today

I want to make sure we’re on the same page, this would be @BasicBlue’s fourth booster (sixth shot in total). He and I have both had the original two shots, two original boosters, and a bivalent booster.

I’m not sure there’s a ton of value in getting booster #5, but also I don’t think there’s any meaningful danger from overloading your immune system or whatever.

I think that shot is likely to be low risk/low reward.

1 Like

Thanks … So even in high risk situations, you think my booster from 3 months ago should offer … some … protection?

Some protection absolutely. Haven’t looked into xbb or whatever variant were on but your risk is a function of how many people you interact with, how high prevalence is when you go before getting into things specific to you: health conditions, vaccine status, behaviors and etc.

What is right for you depends on your risk tolerance and your perceived benefit. For me, that equation changed when my baby got vaccinated. We’ve completely lost any sort of population approach, so it all comes down to what you’re comfortable with

1 Like