COVID-19: Year 4 - You down with JN.1?

Yes, especially against severe illness and death. I realize that not getting sick is good, but few if any of us really lived our lives before covid to never ever get sick, and it’s not a mark of shame if you get sick now. The main objectives are to avoid major illness and death, which even without another shot you’re very well protected against, and to avoid spreading it to other people if you do get sick. Maybe you have some risk factors I’m not savvy to, and maybe you can’t isolate if you do get sick for whatever reason (no need to elaborate), but for most people here, catching covid is an inconvenience at this point, and it’s reasonable to accept some risk of that for various payoffs or pleasures depending on your risk tolerance and preferences.

2 Likes

Also I haven’t seen any data about the bivalent vaccine, but I’ve admitted people for Covid with every sort of vaccination status other than “boosted with bivalent”

3 Likes

That’s pretty reassuring tbh.

Thought I’d post a poll snapshot in case anyone is curious but not curious enough to scroll back up…

I don’t have anything super insightful to say about this result, but I guess I’m not surprised at the overall picture it paints. I am relieved that the 4 times and 5 times options weren’t actually necessary! And a big “I’m sorry, that sucks!” to the person who’s had it 3 times.

ETA: I realized after I posted that it would have been better to reply to the post with the poll for easy access to said poll. Anyone know if I can make a post a reply after the fact?

ETA again: Adding a quote snippet to see what that does for me:

Finally: Mission achomlished!

4 Likes

Three is the most I’ve seen or heard of fwiw

Really? I’m surprised by that. I know someone who got it twice within a period of 2.5 months back when it shifted from delta to omicron. I feel like the yolo anti-mask anti-vaxxed could be getting it twice a year, but maybe that’s wrong?

I sort of expect to get it twice a year with vax juice coming out of my ears.

1 Like

Roommate also tested positive, so I’m sure my husband is next.

The fever seems to have gone, and now it’s like a cold with a very annoying post-nasal drip cough. My throat hurts but that’s due to all the coughing.

Hopefully the cough goes away in the next few days because it’s been keeping me awake :rage:

9 Likes

Sure, but they also won’t come into the ER.

2 Likes

I had to chug Theraflu every night before going to bed to try to get over this part of it, really sucked.

People come to me all the time asking for things for cough… and none of them work. Bourbon maybe? Think my boss would be mad if I recommended bourbon and honey

1 Like

My post COVID cough seemed like some mild laryngitis more than anything so nsaids helped it a lot.

2 Likes

That’s what I tell people and no one believes me.

Update: The steroid did wonders for my older daughter whose breathing improved significantly and she now seems to be on the mend. My younger daughter seems fine and never had more than an occasional cough. I am still testing negative, the last person in my family to never get Covid.

3 Likes

You can’t get it any more I think because doctors are so cautious about opioids, but when I had pneumonia about 12 years ago Hydrocodone Cough Syrup was a fucking miracle drug for me. Nothing else worked and I couldn’t sleep. That shit both stopped the cough and knocked me out.

It just knocked you out, was prob codeine not hydrocodone. Bourbon can do that too!

1 Like

Whats the latest guidelines on time between boosters? I got the bivalent, which was my 5th overall shot, in October. Im taking my niece to Disneyworld in February for her birthday and wondering if that bivalent will still be giving me enough protection 4 months out, or should I be looking for number 6?

Same goes for my niece. She had her second shot on November 3rd. Can 5 year olds get the bivalent 3 months after the initial sequence?

IIRC, didn’t you say a while ago you have immune system issues? Seems like you should take whatever your doc says over whatever the guidance is.

1 Like

February is a great time of year for Disney. Have fun!

2 Likes

Hmm, ill give it a try!