COVID-19: Year 4 - You down with JN.1?

Think your straight up tasting it getting excreted into your spit

1 Like

Feeling so much better. Not allowed to do child care. Playing online poker and watching football. Paid days off MTW. Life is tough.

2 Likes
1 Like

so I haven’t lost lost my taste, but it’s mostly gone

I randomly smelled phantom farts for about 9 months after Covid. Just all the time, everything smelled like farts.

Hopefully that’s short lived. Did you get the funny taste from Paxlovid?

Yup

Maybe that’s the issue then, I remember it lingering and slowly dissipating after finishing the course.

Did you feel pressure in your abdomen and then a sense of relief just prior to these smells?

Luigi’s lemon ice available in your grocery store freezer section really helped me.

1 Like

Here’s a published study showing that metformin reduces the risks of long COVID by 41% when started within three days of COVID symptoms. Looks like it was published a little while back, not sure why it popped up for me on Twitter today. Metformin is trending, I think there may be some research into using it after long COVID is already diagnosed.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(23)00299-2/fulltext#:~:text=Interpretation,low-cost%2C%20and%20safe

Apparently a bunch of long COVID sufferers, sick of being told there was nothing that could be done, just started experimenting themselves and some?/a lot? of them had success with metformin. Their theory is that it stops the type of inflammation that is caused by COVID and leads to long COVID.

I assume there are actual studies being done on this, because it makes too much sense not to study it after the findings in a handful of studies that it reduces the risk of long covid when taken during the course of illness. It would be huge if this treats a significant chunk of the people with long covid.

My guess is that eventually we’ll learn that there are different types of long COVID - a persisting inflammation kind and a your lungs/heart/brain/etc got fucked up during the illness kind. Second kind obviously is going to be hard to improve, first kind maybe metformin or other anti-inflammatory drugs solve ~all of it.

I would assume this then leads to research treating chronic fatigue syndrome with metformin or other anti-inflammatory drugs, and I wouldn’t be surprised if some of those people find that it works too.

Hopefully the real studies that are likely forthcoming yield positive results to match the anecdotal stories being shared on Twitter right now, those people have been suffering for a while and it would be huge for them.

This doesn’t sound super promising.

1 Like

This result is so hard to believe I’m reluctant to post it, but the effect is large enough that it’s unlikely enough to be a statistical anomaly so I will anyway:

New research reveals as much as a four-fold increase in immune response when people alternate from one arm to the other when given a multi-dose vaccine.

The laboratory study led by researchers at Oregon Health & Science University measured the antibody response in the blood of 947 people who received two-dose vaccinations against COVID-19 early in the pandemic. Participants included OHSU employees who agreed to enroll in research while getting vaccinated against the SARS-CoV-2 virus, and were randomized to get the second dose in either the same or the opposite arm as the first dose.

1 Like

Damn, I have no memory of which arm I got my last shot in.

Wasn’t there a study little while back saying the opposite that was better to get in same arm? Maybe this was a followup on that and found opposite

cliffs on this? do they have any idea of what the mechanism is?

The government gets to control 100% of your body instead of only 50%, hence more effective.

2 Likes

Body acts like a 5G antenna. Obv better to have it evenly distributed. It’s science.

Here’s the same arm study @Surf.