COVID-19: Year 4 - You down with JN.1?

Vaccine confirmed deadly

1 Like

My wife tested positive this morning :frowning:

It’s her second time but I’m still in team novid. Let’s hope that booster holds up.

7 Likes

Two murders falling into the extremely specific “conservative psychopath murders his father for being a deep state traitor” category in the last two weeks???

When you consider that like a quarter of the country’s adults are conservative psychopaths, it makes a lot more sense.

And add to that there’s now, what, 4 guns for every man woman and child in this country?

Paging @commonWealth

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/12/health/long-covid-pregnancy-children/index.html

1 Like

Unfortunately not much surprises me there, it matches a lot of the studies I had seen. Interesting that it’s less likely in pregnant women though.

Also, this is good:

Edwards said she and some other doctors who run pediatric long Covid clinics across the country have recently noticed that the full-on rush of patients they saw earlier in the pandemic has been slowing down, “which is fantastic.”

I didn’t sleep well and my brain may not be entirely functioning, but is “take a call on” a common phrase? I know all these words but when they are put together I do not know what they mean.

The health agency plans to recommend people who test positive for COVID-19 to take a call on when to end isolation based on their symptom

1 Like

Yeah that’s unfamiliar phrasing to me as well.

I think it means “determine for yourself”, but I’m not 100% sure.

I think it’s one of those language things. It probably got misheard/typo’d from “make a call on”

2 Likes

I looked it up and found nothing. I think it’s got to be a translation of a phrase from another language or something.

Like I said I didn’t sleep much so I read it over and over and felt like I’d lost my mind.

I found this:

This is a phrase peculiar to India. It’s not used by native English speakers. Its meaning is the same as “make the call”, i.e. to make a decision.

Here are headlines from two Indian newspapers that illustrate this usage:

This makes sense given that the Reuters article has this at the end:

(Reporting by Chandni Shah and Mariam Sunny in Bengaluru; Editing by Alex Richardson and Krishna Chandra Eluri)

5 Likes

Thanks for doing the needful to find that!

5 Likes

My wife is now pretty much recovered. It hit her like a bad cold: some fever, congestion, low energy. Lasted for about 4-5 days.

My immune system apparently continues to kick ass. I have no symptoms and tested this morning which came back negative. Second time my wife caught it and I’m still in team novid.

5 Likes

Sadly, this isn’t a :leolol: situation. These kids don’t deserve this. It’s their vaccinated parents.

And it’s so contagious that we rely on herd immunity with a very high vaccination level to protect us, which is to say the vaccination isn’t effective enough to prevent all the vaccinated people from getting it.

But honestly these outbreaks are probably productive for society, in that we can point to them and say, “See? This is what happens when we elect morons, tolerate them in leadership positions, and don’t shout down the stupidity often enough. Congratulations to them, they’ve brought back measles. Have we seen enough yet?”

:harold:

Unfortunately the people that are making the measles sexy again don’t care about kids* getting the measels.

*your kids