COVID-19: Year 4 - You down with JN.1?

It was well established that the cat made the jump.

Might be vaccines for all of the “tripledemic” viruses soon(ish).

3 Likes

Man, it really is a dangerous job!

3 Likes

Too bad like 60% of olds won’t take it because Ron DeSantis told them it’ll turn the frogs gay or something.

Now do one for kids please. RSV is crazy scary in really young kids (infants/toddlers).

1 Like

My recollection from shareholder calls is that they’re already working on it, the one for old people was just moving faster through the pipeline because it’s easier to do the trials among adults.

They’ve also already been working on a covid/flu/RSV triple shot as a seasonal respiratory virus vaccine, so I’d expect that to be in the not too distant future.

I wonder if there’s any data on flu vaccines and post COVID to see if there’s been overall drop off in all vaccinations among anti-mRNA folks.

They’re working on quite a few vaccine cocktails, from their press release:

Gimme that mRNA-1230 next year so I can save a trip to the doctor, please.

1 Like

My guess is that it won’t quite make it for winter 2023-24, but I think you’ll be able to get that sweet 'vid, flu, and RSV juice cocktail in your arm in Fall 2024.

1 Like

I’m not so sure unfortunately. A lot of the “warp speed” stuff that sped these vaccines through the pipeline is over. Recall that, prior to Covid, the fastest a vaccine ever went from Phase 1 trials to market was like 5 years.

The goal is for kids. The problem with rsv is that it was tried once, and the vaccine killed quite a few kids. It was bad. They have to show it’s safe in adults first as it will be easier to get approval for that first, then wind their way down

2 Likes

They’re already two years in on this one and I was suggesting two more years. This vaccine did get fast-tracking of some sort, and the covid one is already approved. Phase 3 of the flu vaccine from Moderna was underway maybe six months ago. I don’t think they’ll have to test them all in one shot if they get separate approvals, as they’ve already done trials proving that combining shots into one shot is safe.

This is now making the antivax rounds:

I have no idea why the FAA did that, but my first guess would be COVID itself. It’s amazing that like half the country sees everything as evidence of the vaccines being lethal and then like 10% of us assume COVID.

But these vaccine concerns are so mainstreamed right now, the anti-vaxxers are seriously kicking our asses in the court of public opinion.

One of the commenters wrote this:

Steve, there’s clearly been a change but I don’t think this change means what you think it means.

According to the reading of the old policy, in the setting of 1st degree AV block (which, by definition is a PR interval of 200ms or more) the AME is directed to issue the flight physical “if no evidence of structural, functional, or coronary heart disease”. It’s this old policy that appears to have had no upper limit on the PR interval.

It’s the new policy that sets a 300ms upper limit on the AME may issue disposition while 1st degree AV blocks with a PR interval over that cutoff are to be evaluated by the FAA in Oklahoma City.

Reading the policies you cite, it sounds like the FAA has actually tightened - not loosened - the standard. It’s entirely possible that this tightening of the standard has occurred in response to a safety signal that their Aeromedical department has picked up on, but it is a tightening of the standard.

There is a lot wrong with the Covid-19 vaccine, and mRNA technology. A growing body of evidence indicates that these products should be pulled from the market as they do cause myocarditis, coagulopathy (heart attacks, strokes, DVTs, and PEs), and cancers due to a downregulation of the DNA repair mechanisms. I just don’t think this joins the body of evidence proving that.

Keep up the good work.

Maybe our resident doc can weigh in?

There’s nothing nefarious. Per this article, they’re allowing doctors with a “PR interval >.2” continue to work. That’s what known as a first degree AV block, which is clinically completely unimportant.

Sounds like the FAA got rid of a stupid regulation

2 Likes

This interview with an epidemiologist in Toronto gets into some of the continuing research into the theory that COVID is weakening our immune systems. He thinks COVID is to blame for the worse RSV and flu seasons.

The administration is admitting that our healthcare system may be pretty fucked going forward. This is Ashish Jha in the Washington Post. Link below (in non paywalled Archive.ph form). This is something we talked about probably a year ago? Maybe more? Basically the overall quality of healthcare available to the average American is going to diminish significantly as a result of covid.

White House covid-19 response coordinator Ashish Jha said the American health-care system may not be able to withstand the continued viral onslaught, straining the system’s ability to care for other serious illnesses.

“I am worried that we are going to have, for years, our health system being pretty dysfunctional, not being able to take care of heart attack patients, not being able to take care of cancer patients, not being able to take care of the kid who’s got appendicitis because we’re going to be so overwhelmed with respiratory viruses for … three or four months a year,” Jha told The Washington Post.

He described a scenario in which the typical winter logjam of patients begins much earlier than usual — in August or September — because of the coronavirus. It’s a darker scenario than the administration has portrayed in the past, and one Jha said most Americans have yet to realize.

“I just think people have not appreciated the chronic cost, because we have seen this as an acute problem,” Jha said. “We have no idea how hard this is going to make life for everybody, for long periods of time.”

https://archive.ph/euwHA

Meh I think this is pessimistic. Flu sucked this year, and was earlier, but it’s already winding down pretty quickly. COVID contributed some to that. I’ve had far worse normal flu seasons.

We’ll see. I don’t think letting it rip and not changing our healthcare system at all is going to go well over the long run. I think the “best case” scenario is that after another year or two, we’ve built up enough “herd immunity” as a population to turn COVID-19 into a common cold/flu level infection, but at a tremendous societal cost in terms of lives, disabilities, and chronic conditions. I think that a scenario where every winter our hospitals get overrun is fairly likely. If COVID weakens the immune system, that one seems hard to avoid.

I stumbled onto this site today, it looks like a directory of businesses and such that are taking high level covid precautions such as requiring masks and/or using HEPA systems or UV lights to reduce the risk of transmission. It also seems to have a social networking aspect to find and socialize with others who are being careful.

https://www.covidmeetups.com/