COVID-19: Year 4 - You down with JN.1?

Food for thought… I’ve been a big proponent of ventilation for a long time and I think it’s the biggest dropped ball in this whole thing. Clearly the billionaires view it as a good method to reduce COVID risk, and still want to reduce their COVID risk at that.

1 Like

lol goodell would never waste resources on a black man

Get your kids vaccinated peeps

In this systematic review and meta-analysis including 17 studies with 10 935 541 vaccinated and 2 635 251 unvaccinated children aged 5 to 11 years, COVID-19 vaccination was associated with lower risks of SARS-CoV-2 infection, symptomatic COVID-19, hospitalization, and multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children. While vaccination, compared with placebo, was associated with higher incidences of adverse events, the overall frequency of severe adverse events, including myocarditis, was low.

Two-dose mRNA COVID-19 vaccination compared with no vaccination was associated with lower risks of SARS-CoV-2 infections with or without symptoms (OR, 0.47; 95% CI, 0.35-0.64), symptomatic SARS-CoV-2 infections (OR, 0.53; 95% CI, 0.41-0.70), hospitalizations (OR, 0.32; 95% CI, 0.15-0.68), and multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children (OR, 0.05; 95% CI, 0.02-0.10).

So basically cut your risk of infection by half, risk of hospitalization by 2/3, and MISC-C by 95%.

Note: doesn’t include bivalent vaccination for kids, which I would highly recommend as well.

1 Like

Any idea what the guidance is on a 3 year old who was just infected as far as how long to wait before getting the bivalent booster? My daughter had a booster appointment the day after she tested positive. Is it still 2 months?

WHO says not so fast on the only once a year vaccinations:

https://archive.ph/lXvqc#selection-3407.0-3411.831

Sadly this amounts to shouting into the void. IMO even most of this community is now minimizing COVID significantly. I have virtually no hope society does much about it in our lifetimes.

In other news, my fiancee has been mocked by two professors in nursing school for masking/eating outside. One professor calls everyone in the class by name, except her. When he calls on her she’s always referred to as “the girl in the mask.” Another professor walked past her eating outside in the cold and made fun of her to a small group of students for being scared to catch a common cold.

Unfortunately we have no recourse because you can’t risk pissing off a professor who gives you your grades.

2 Likes

I love how quickly and predictably “If you’re scared, libs, YOU stay home or wear a mask, I’ll mind my business and you mind yours,” turned into bullying people taking precautions and minding their own business.

Does she have friends in the class that can back her up? This prof seems completely out of line.

2 Likes

Yeah, what the fuck. That’s completely unprofessional.

1 Like

Holy shit that is so out of line. No way would I take that without making an issue out of it, but I also underatand the sensitivity of it being someone in a position of power. So, so shitty.

1 Like

It’s easy for me to say, since I’m not actually in that spot, but where I work (a university), this would be a pretty clear conduct violation by both professors. Even referring to someone as “the girl …” would be problematic.

If something like that took place here, I’d encourage her to go to the department head, school dean, and/or central university office that handles stuff like this (at my university there would be several possibilities). If the professor then gives her an unfair grade, it should be a slam dunk case of retaliation.

ETA: Plus, if there’s any hints of race- or sex-based discrimination (you’ve mentioned that your fiancé is Asian), the professor would (should) be on very thin ice.

2 Likes

I don’t think she feels comfortable asking anyone to defend her, and so far nobody has.

Unfortunately it seems to be par for the course at this school, it seems to be a more conservative school. We’ve looked into her transferring but she’d have to retake so many credits that it would be prohibitively costly.

Right, unfortunately they can just give her bad grades on stuff that’s qualitative instead of quantifiable, and there’s nothing she can do about it. It’s obvious based on how they’re treating her that they’re probably already going to look for chances to stick it to her.

Last semester she had a professor who answered everyone else’s e-mails within a few hours and never answered hers in less than 24 hours. Scheduled office hours with others, blew her off. Gave her a bad grade on a quiz, which everyone was allowed to come into the office to review and check the score, and refused to schedule her to do it. That’s where we decided we had to take a stand, and threatened to take it to his superiors. The entire quiz suddenly got deleted from the system for everyone. So IMO it’s pretty likely he fucked her on the grade, and decided it was better to delete the whole thing and blame a glitch than to risk getting busted. But of course there’s nothing we can do to come close to proving it, and it’s an absurd allegation to make without evidence.

How do you prove fairness, though? For example, as a nursing student they give faux exams and are graded on it. They take people’s pulse and blood pressure, and a professor takes them alongside them and announces the “correct” numbers. All the professor has to do is lie and there’s no way to prove it.

She’s Brazilian, and there have been hints of race-based discrimination from other professors, but it’s impossible to prove.

She also is more inclined to not do anything and just survive 3 more semesters. I want to go burn the place to the ground. But, not my call to make.

At a bare minimum she should be documenting as much as she can in case it ever does come to a head while she’s still a student, or if she decides to deal with it after she graduates.

2 Likes

Well that sucks. I don’t anyone should tolerate that kind of thing, but I’m not on the spot, so would defer to her choices.

I would agree with this though:

2 Likes

How does she document this stuff? I guess we can see if she’s allowed to record in class, that might be one way. Otherwise it’s just her taking contemporaneous notes and her word against theirs?

She should be able to record audio during lectures. Maybe would ask the Office of Differing Abilities, or whatever it is calped at her school, to give her permission to “help in taking notes that she misses during the lecture” or something along those lines.

Outsode of that, do what you said. Just keep a log with dates, times, and description of incident. I had two similar issues when I was in college. One with a professor and one with a supervisor when I was interning in the field. A detailed log of issues resulted in very favorable outcomes for me both times. Abusive professors are not used to students standing up for themselve. Something as simple as a log of all the times they fucked up can make them squirm when confronted by their superior.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m not an expert (thankfully), but I was going to say something like this.

Example entry:

1/26/2023
NURS 403 [ Name/title of course; include section and/or time ]
Robert E. Lee Hall Room 102 [ location of class session ]
Professor A repeatedly refused to refer to me by my name and instead used, “the girl in the mask.” Professor A uses the preferred name for other students in class.

Remember that any investigation or process related to this isn’t criminal (at least the type of stuff mentioned so far), so you don’t need to prove stuff “beyond a reasonable doubt.” If whoever investigates the complaint finds that the preponderance of evidence indicates that the accusations are true, or they are “credible” that should be enough to result in sanctions.

Of course, there is a massive asterisk after that “should” above. Also “sanctions” could range from basically nothing to termination. And I should again emphasize that I’m not an expert, or lawyer, and policies and laws vary from state to state and institution to institution.

Hopefully your financé can come to decision about how to handle this that she feels good about.

5 Likes

Having written notes on a subject spanning long periods of time is far more persuasive than just her word against his.

2 Likes