COVID-19: Year 4 - You down with JN.1?

Agree with all the above. Contemporaneous notes that establish a pattern of behavior can count for a lot in these situations.

Otoh I think I heard this morning you can buy a fake nursing diploma for like 15 grand so you could just avoid all the drama that way! :grinning:

1 Like

Don’t let her one friend hear that, she’ll actually try!

Just record the class like in Tar.

CDC research shows a Long COVID rate of around 36% one month out from infection. They also found that it was more prevalent in those with underlying health conditions, not fully vaccinated, female, current/former smokers, those with acute symptoms, and those who sought medical care or received antibody treatment.

Our study also found that persons who had the fewest previous COVID-19 vaccines and boosters were at higher risk for development of symptoms consistent with long COVID, supporting other investigations suggesting that vaccination is associated with reduced risk for long COVID (33–36).

And of course this comes as some countries are making it harder for healthy people under 50 to get their boosters, and others (USA#1) are considering going to once a year instead of every six months.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/29/3/22-1522_article

Thread on some of the data on efficacy and cost-efficiency of Corsi Rosenthal boxes.

More people here with just vaccine immunity than I thought

Blood donors don’t seem like an especially random sample tho, no? Sorta by definition, they are people who go to great lengths because they care about the health of other people.

Sure but don’t see a much better way to go about it

I don’t know if I posted it, but there was also a recent study that the more shots you’ve had the lower your risk of long COVID. I’ve sort of had a theory in my mind for a while that you possibly needed X shots/infections for COVID to be “just a cold,” but X could be 5 or 25, who knows?

And I doubt that we’ll know whether that is at all accurate anytime soon, it just seems very possible to me that every time your immune system sees a version of that spike protein it gets better at recognizing it.

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/scitranslmed.add0484

Some work on smell loss

2 Likes

My understanding of this is that risk of it jumping to humans is still really low, but if it did it would be a disaster way worse than Covid.

Fun thought!

Still no mammal to mammal transmission for now thankfully,

1 Like

Prof Ian Brown, APHA’s director of scientific services, told BBC News: “The virus is absolutely on the march. And it’s almost remarkable - it’s a single strain. This global spread is a concern. We do need globally to look at new strategies, those international partnerships, to get on top of this disease. If we don’t solve the problem across the globe, we’re going to continue to have that risk.”

Spoiler alert: we did not look at new strategies, we did not look at international partnerships, we did not get on top of this disease.

It’s very possible it was transmitted between seals due to the large number of dead seals, but they’re still running tests to find out.

Like 20-40% mortality level disaster.

Just your periodic reminder that the body is earth, Homo sapiens is the disease, and sex is the transmission route.

The viruses are simply part of the planets immune defenses.

1 Like

Earth is getting it on with Venus?

1 Like

Generally mortality rate inversely proportional to how efficiently it spreads tho. Covid snuck into the sweet spot. 20-40 seems too high to be a worldwide pandemic.If every 5th to 3rd person is dropping dead of it, I have to believe we would do legitimate shutdowns and mitigation. @sweetsummerchild?

2 Likes

“It’s just the flu, libtard, it’s IN THE NAME. BIRD WHAT? BIRD FLU! They say it’s gonna kill everyone but they said the same thing about that there CHINA FLU and we’re all still here, ain’t we? Now they wanna lock us down and make us take more of the mind control vaccines to kill us all and make us communists!”

etc etc

So there was a Cochrane Review of masking studies and it found that masking does not reduce virus transmission across the population. So the right wingers and anti-maskers are using it to say masks don’t work, period. Here’s a good thread on why that’s a really misleading conclusion:

Cliffs: People have terrible mask discipline, so the studies are mostly useless. If they’re running RCTs on healthcare workers, and the ones wearing masks then go to a bar afterwards without a mask, then no masks don’t make much difference overall even if they helped reduce risk while worn.

Handwashing helping but masks not helping defies all common sense.