Crapto thread: Going Blind to own the poors

2 Likes

lol amazing, I hope whoever invented the jpeg equity line of credit cleaned up on closing fees

3 Likes

It’s tulips, all the way down.

3 Likes

I want an ape so bad

At some level getting someone to loan you money with a monkey JPEG as the only at risk collateral kinda seems like a smart move to take them up on the offer

1 Like

Probably a great time to buy!

:leolol:

1 Like
1 Like

LOLLL

1 Like

Either the banks are lying, or Celsius is lying!

:leolol:

2 Likes

:leolol::leolol::leolol:

2 Likes

Programming note: Money Stuff was supposed to be off today, but is not.

Levine with a special edition for a NY judge ruling Ripple’s token (XRP) is kind of a security but mostly not, first comparing the way traditional stocks now trade on open markets despite the companies not actively selling them…

That story does not really apply to Meta Platforms in 2023. Meta has not sold stock in ages. “We are not asking anyone to give us money for our stock,” you could almost imagine Meta saying, “and it just trades on an exchange totally disconnected from us. Why should we have to file all of these reports and get sued for all our misstatements, just because some people still want to trade this stock that we sold a decade ago? Maybe in 2012 we looked like one of those shady 1920s issuers, and the SEC needed to keep an eye on us and make us disclose everything about our finances to raise money, but that doesn’t apply now, not because we were shady then and aren’t now, but because we were raising money then and aren’t now.”

…to Ripple and the judge’s decision:

Levine is skeptical of this argument, and with good reason:

…but I dunno, both arguments make good points? What seems important here is, well, Meta stock *is* stock, and so it is clearly covered by laws that cover stock, whereas Ripple is *like* stock (but is not stock!) so securities laws have this gray area about Howey tests. It’s certainly interesting that applying this opinion’s same Howey test logic to Meta stock would draw the conclusion that it’s not actually a security, but also, that doesn’t matter!

But yeah given how…weird, and probably bad, this decision is, I have a feeling that higher courts are going to come to different conclusions:

Whatever legal hoops you have to jump through, it is hard to imagine that courts are gonna end up in a state of “oh, funny, I guess the SEC can’t regulate crypto.”

1 Like

a completely backwards/inverse application of what the law is interesting though. we all agree crypto people are at the cutting edge when it comes to innovation. so clearly what they’ve created is a bizarro financial system with opposite laws and opposite logic, to compete with the traditional financial system, in a classic battle of wills. normal financial regulations couldn’t be applied to things that you’d THINK would apply to because it’s in bizarro land

3 Likes

I have no words.

The last sentence means the rest of that was just a preamble for: I’m opening another tax haven first chance I get.

1 Like

We need nft’s of tulip bulbs.

Whatever “there should be NFTs of X” idea you have, it probably already exists.

That is the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen.

2 Likes

But if someone burns the NFT of the diamond, I still have the diamond. People don’t understand what a revolutionary new asset diamonds are compared to NFTs!