Definitive All-Time Disney Original Song Bracket Battle: It's the Circle of Life

6 Seed: Surface Pressure – Encanto

vs

11 Seed: The Bells of Notre Dame - Hunchback of Notre Dame

#6 Surface Pressure – Encanto vs. #11 The Bells of Notre Dame - Hunchback of Notre Dame
  • #6 Surface Pressure – Encanto
  • #11 The Bells of Notre Dame - Hunchback of Notre Dame
0 voters

Oof.

Easy vote for all 3 encanto songs in this group.

• When You Wish Upon A Star is a deserved 1 seed, and is certainly the better song here.
  • Didn’t remember the version with the Chinese cat when I nominated the Aristocats song. Still voting for it, but won’t be heartbroken if it goes down. Either song is just going to get trounced by When You Wish anyway.
  • Whistle While You Work blows. We Belong Together not the best Randy Newman song in the Toy Story catalog, but it’s an easy vote here.
  • Both songs are fun. Going with Whistle Stop in the hopes that Robin Hood gets some revenge on Encanto after the Bruno incident.
  • Brutal matchup. Putting the Coco song now as a placeholder, but might switch this one.
  • Cinderella song isn’t bad, but really this matchup is over in the first 5 seconds.
  • Both decent, not great. Monsters Inc barely.
  • Easy vote for Notre Dame against what is probably the weakest of the (already overrated) neverending batch of Encanto songs.

The worst song from Encanto (the entire movie , not just the song’s nominated here) is probably better than 50% of this tournament.

Imagine giving credence to some random guy’s hat’s opinion of Disney songs

1 Like

Circle of Life criminally underseeded.

1. I gave When You Wish Upon a Star a 1 seed mainly due to the fact that Disney itself still uses it as a theme song, of sorts. It’s up against a quality song, but I’m going with the unusual melody of Disney’s first Oscar winning song.
  2. Everybody Wants to Be a Cat would win handily here, but for the horrible stereotype. Heigh Ho isn’t great, but it doesn’t make me cringe.
  3. I don’t really see how Whistle While You Work has any votes here. It’s awfully corny and dated at this point. I don’t think We Belong Together is the best song from the Toy Story franchise, but it’s the better song.
  4. To Whistle Stop’s credit, I did just hear a rando luggage handler whistling it while unloading luggage off of my cruise, but I’m not feeling it over The Family Madrigal.
  5. Where are my dads at? How are @Jman220 and @CaffeineNeeded voting against the most dad-ular song in this whole contest? This song reduced me to a weeping blob when I watched it without warning on an airplane while traveling away from my girls for work, and no other song in this bracket has given me half of those feels. I’ll be voting for it until I’m made to stop, and I will be judging anyone, especially dads, who vote against it. “Let’s make Let It Go happen again!” can’t hold a candle.
  6. Circle of Life. Next.
  7. What Else Can I Do? is one of the weakest Encanto songs, and I enjoy If I Didn’t Have You.
  8. The Hunchback songs were all new to me as of starting this, and The Bells of Notre Dame is fantastic. But, Surface Pressure is my favorite Encanto song. I like the rhymes and the rhythm, the changes in timbre, and how it fits in the movie.

#5 was definitely an Oof, and I can be convinced to change my vote.

Did we already forget that Oo-De-Lally itself ousted an Encanto song on a tiebreaker in the previous round?

So, like, if you’d take Into the Unknown over Let It Go, sure, vote Into the Unknown. But for me, they’re both songs of Elsa cutting loose, and Let It Go is just better.

As I’ve been thinking about things that make good Disney songs, for one, they should take you right into the movie. Both of these songs do a good job of that. The second thing I thought about was themes. Disney does love songs, and Disney does loves songs well, but love songs are not distinctly Disney. One theme that is common to many of the most popular Disney songs? Getting out from under the thumb of your parents. A Whole New World? I Just Can’t Wait to be King? Part of Your World? That’s no doubt a huge reason for why so many of these songs resonated so strongly with the teens and tweens of their days. Let It Go is certainly an example of this, and I think the lack of this theme is why Into the Unknown doesn’t hit as hard.

What makes Remember Me interesting is that it’s a reversal of this meta-theme. Dad’s not overbearing. He’s not constricting. His heart is full of love, but he can’t be around all the time to make a living for his family with the gifts he has. His song isn’t Obey Me or Father Knows Best. He just wants his love to be remembered while he’s gone, and especially when he’s gone for good. It’s a sentiment we only got in Baby Mine in a much less effective fashion. The way the movie set up the reveal for this song was deeply moving, and I can hardly imagine another dad having the same sort of emotional hooks in any other song.

For people who haven’t seen Coco, does this version do anything more for you?

I got nothing. All these matchups are basically equally great.

Thinking about making a third account, CNsDaughter, for these tight encanto votes lol. She had a ball listening to the encanto songs while my wife figured out what she wanted to vote for.

1 Like

FWIW, @MrWookie , you convinced me to change my vote on Remember Me.

1 Like

Bump. Let’s get some more votes before tomorrow. My girls kinda ruined my night.

How’re you feeling?

Are these your kids voting for whistle stop over the family madrigal? What?!

I know, right? They love the silly nonsense lyrics. Watching their response to listening to it in person, it’s clearly one of the songs they love most in the whole bracket. I would not have expected them to vote against an Encanto song except for a Frozen, Little Mermaid, or Beauty and the Beast song.

Traded the sore throat for the sniffles, but it’s pretty much just a cold.

2 Likes