Definitive All-Time Disney Original Song Bracket Battle: It's the Circle of Life

Im assuming its the same ride style as WDWs Little Mermaid? I like the going under water effect at the beginning. Seeing the wonder on a kids face makes it even better. We got stuck at one point for about 5 minutes, and it was then I relaized all of the fish animatronics looked completely stoned, so I took these photos for the lols.

ETA: and looking at these now it almost looks as if they could be screen grabs from the animated film, not 3 dimensional set pieces and animatronics. Dinsey Imagineering is so good at transporting you to the world of whatever movie the ride is from.

2 Likes

Circle of Life starting to look like a juggernaut.

Saw The Lion King Live at The West End.

I came in having a hard time believing Lion King Live would be better than the movie despite all the hypeā€¦

Needless to say Circle of Life Live is an easy automatic 10/10.

1 Like

Circle of Life is a powerhouse no doubt, but itā€™s also had a really easy path. That Darn Cat, A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes, and Let It Go Lite arenā€™t the most serious of competition. I donā€™t think it would have straight stomped Kiss the Girl or Beauty and the Beast. I think itā€™ll at least face a threat against whichever song wins the Encant-off, and Iā€™m not sure how itā€™ll fare against When You Wish Upon a Star should both make it that far. Still, thatā€™s not a bad path to the Fantabulous 4.

Yeah, looks similar to the one in California Adventure. My girls loved the ride. One thing it made obvious was how important bright colors were to the movie. They used black lights to really make the colors pop on the ride. It made it obvious to me why the live remake looked so off compared to the original: I was a bunch of ā€œrealisticā€ but drab blues instead of the vibrant rainbow of colors that made the original pop.

1 Like

The opening is just so iconic. Itā€™s really the only song in this competition that getā€™s me stoked in the first 2 seconds

1 Like
  • Belle is a song that hadnā€™t even crossed my mind during the nominations, but itā€™s really good and has grown on me even more.
  • Mulan song easily, but Iā€™m probably screaming into the void about Bruno at this point.
  • I really like Whatā€™s This, but Bare Necessities is a banger.
  • Speaking of bangers, Be Our Guest and its silly 27 seed.
  • Heigh Ho blows, When You Wish doesnā€™t. Next.
  • Didnā€™t expect a Whistle Derby at this point. Robin Hood easily.
  • Frozen 2 song good, but Circle of Life is so much better.
  • Oh fun, an Encanto Derby. I liked What Else Can I Do better, but whatever.

looks the same

I remember when the first trailer was simply the opening prairie scene set to Circle of Life lol. We all showed up to see whatever movie was set to that song!!

2 Likes

I can think of a couple of songs that would be hard because of the personal significance, but the biggest is anything from The Little Mermaid.

For queer women, Little Mermaid has long held significance and messages of empowerment regardless of the body of your birth and whether people perceive/treat you as gender non conforming.

This is one of my most popular articles on the topic. I keep meaning to adapt it into a video but canā€™t figure out how to make it work in a way that doesnā€™t feel redundant for the article.

2 Likes

Honestly didnā€™t think that Robin Hood song would go this deep in the tourney.

Beating Whistle While You Work seems like itā€™s most probable victory to me. Beating beating Shiny and The Family Madrigal is much more shocking.

1 Like

I wonā€™t be voting against Circle of Life.

This was the first ride that I rode on with my youngest daughter the first time we went to disney world with her. (And only the second time I had been in my life at that point). Agreed that is a great ride and the Ursula animatronic is one of the better ones out there.

1 Like

We took our kids to Immersive Disney Animation today. Itā€™s just a big room with projection video on all the walls and floor, Disney songs, bubbles, etc. It was whatever, but the kids loved it.

The songs that got featured were Under the Sea, Circle of Life, A whole new World, We donā€™t talk about Bruno, Poor unfortunate souls, Colors of the wind, I see the light, Almost there, How far Iā€™ll go, Show Yourself, When you wish upon a star. There were a few other instrumentals I didnā€™t recognize.

Where was this? This sounds like the room you had to hang out in prior to meeting Anna and/or Elsa in California Adventure, but it sounds like this wasnā€™t in one of the parks.

1. I really enjoy Belle, and after having made mention of Gastonā€™s operatic voice in my last write up, Iā€™d be remiss if I didnā€™t mention how Belle seems to be no small allusion to some operatic numbers where the composer is trying to establish the scene of a vibrant and busy town. This scene from one of the most famous and enduring operas, La Boheme, is one of the closest:

Opera isnā€™t as much in the public eye as many art forms, but itā€™s wonderful and pervasive in popular culture. Anyone whoā€™s watched enough Looney Tunes or seen The Bad News Bears has heard almost every number from Carmen, e.g.

Thatā€™s all to say Iā€™m really sad itā€™s run into another fantastic song rather than crushing the likes of Whistle Stop or What Else Can I Do or Heigh Ho. I lean A Whole New World in this one. It hits on some of the really important characteristics of a good Disney song, in that itā€™s sung by the characters, and itā€™s about getting out from under the thumb of your parents, but I like its distinction that itā€™s one of the only duets, and itā€™s a duet done very well. I get the people voting Belle, and this should be a close one, but I hope A Whole New World edges it out.

1. Iā€™ll Make a Man Out of You has grown on me, but Iā€™m also not seeing why Bruno doesnā€™t have juggernaut status. I guess itā€™s just gotten too popular without being old enough to conjure nostalgia? This isnā€™t a vote I take lightly, as I did witness a grown-ass woman break down into tears on meeting Mulan at a princess breakfast at our Disneyland hotel (representation matters), but while Man only really grabs me at its climax towards the end of the song, Bruno takes me on a journey of voices and timbres and colors and rhythms and rhymes that I canā€™t get out of my head.
  2. I donā€™t think I have any better phrasing than @eyebooger 's, ā€œI really like Whatā€™s This, but Bare Necessities is a banger.ā€ All I really have to add is that Iā€™m voting against both of my girls who may not like scary things but who unsurprisingly love Christmas. Sometimes their joy tilts me to vote with them, but not here.
  3. I really wish Be Our Guest had gotten at least one if not two more nominations, one so that I wouldnā€™t have missed it and two so that it could have gotten a more appropriate seed even if I hadnā€™t. Itā€™s wrecking faces at every stop. It should have at least gotten a Circle of Life - esque 7 seed (only 2 nominations, but that I then seed highly). Itā€™s fantastic, and while Iā€™m not sure how Iā€™ll vote on it against its next possible competition, I would not be too surprised if it makes the Fantabulous 4.
  4. Iā€™m not sure what When You Wishā€™s ceiling is. Itā€™s iconic from the start, although it needs 7 notes to really draw you in compared with Circle of Life only needing 4. But itā€™s kinda old fashioned? Itā€™s better than Heigh Ho, though, so itā€™s an easy pick here. Not sure how many more votes itā€™ll get from me.
  5. Neither of the whistle songs should really be here at this point, but I go Whistle Stop. I definitely underappreciated the amount of nostalgia my whole demographic would have for Robin Hood. I thought that was more just me. And I definitely underestimated how much my girls would dig this one.
  6. Circle of Life may yet bleed, but itā€™s both amazing and enjoying an easy path.
  7. What Else Can I Do shouldnā€™t be here at this point. Surface Pressure is so much better. Surface Pressure vs. Bruno is the Encant-off that makes me sweat.
2 Likes

I donā€™t know if itā€™s just nostalgia, but for me itā€™s mostly the raw talent of Donny Osmond. I could listen to the song over and over.

I canā€™t really compare though. To my shame and despite several friends proclaiming how great Encanto isā€¦never seen it.

1 Like

This was in Columbus, OH. I think itā€™s in a handful of cities, and maybe is a traveling attraction? Iā€™m not real sure.

For a radically different live action Mulan, China released an acclaimed live action version (2009) in which Mulan and the love interest choose NOT to be together at the end of the movie. They choose to put the good of the country before their romance. Happily ever after!

1 Like

Thatā€™s Donny Osmond of all motherfuckers singing lead there?! I donā€™t think it sways my vote, but I am better for learning.

1 Like