Definitive All-Time Disney Original Song Bracket Battle: It's the Circle of Life

Lol, who would have thought that it’d be the disney song competition that drove the forum apart.

1 Like

I am extremely passionate about the Jungle Book!!! Baloo GOAT!

1. In contrast to eyebooger, I thought I Wanna Be Like You would be a much stronger threat to Let It Go than Gaston would be. As evidence, I submit the vote of one of my daughters. My girls have dressed up as Anna and Elsa for Halloween and for dress up play and just be cause they want to. They sing and dance along to Let It Go. They were awestruck meeting Elsa at Disneyland. They’ve actually seen Frozen (not Frozen 2, actually, but they don’t get a ton of screen time). In contrast, their entire exposure to the Jungle Book has been this song bracket. They’ve never seen it, and it has basically zero presence at Disneyland. Despite all that, I Wanna Be Like You got one of their votes, because it’s a fantastic song. I just can’t put it on the level of a song that’s a cultural touchstone.
  2. I can’t get beyond the awkward lion not-sex, and I maintain that Moana is massively underrated by the main forum demographic.
  3. Under the Sea doesn’t hit as hard as Circle of Life from its opening notes, but as soon as the steel drums kick in in earnest, it’s magic. Looks to be on a collision course with Let It Go in the Fantabulous Four.
  4. Tons of the development of Aladdin was just turning Robin Williams loose in a sound booth for a bunch of improvisational takes on the scene at hand, and then compiling and drawing the best of the delightful madness he came up with. I don’t know exactly how much of that process went into this song in particular, but it still drips with his humor and charm. I’m happy it’s done so well, and I’m going to have a really tough vote in the next round.
  5. In this battle of two songs that both take you through a village for gossip about a community member they all find rather odd, I lean towards Bruno for having so many different musical themes for the various stories being told about him over Belle with just one central musical theme voiced by different singers.
  6. After mentioning how Belle was a thinly-veiled allusion to some old opera scenes, I’d be remiss if I didn’t note how Be Our Guest is an animated love letter to Bob Fosse. You can easily spot so many similarities and stylings like the dancing in the below clip, even if they’re being done by an animated candlestick:

Fosse had a tremendous influence on what we now take for granted in a Broadway show (and on the dancing of the King of Pop, too). I take Be Our Guest in this razor thin matchup, going with the spectacle over simplicity.
7. Ah but for the songs that could be here instead of Whistle Stop. Alas. I always found it catchy, but it’s worn out its welcome. I’m not sure When You Wish Upon A Star has much more in the tank now that it won’t be bum hunting anymore, but it’s the better of these two.
8. I feel like Surface Pressure is much closer to Circle of Life than most people here and than what the voting margin indicates, but I lean with the majority nevertheless.

1 Like

No ties this past round! Good news.

Movies that now have no more songs in contention:
Encanto :open_mouth:
The Jungle Book :frowning:
Moana
Robin Hood

Movies with the most songs remaining:
Beauty and the Beast, and The Lion King (2)

Movie with the most attrition in the Supercalifragilistic 16:
Encanto, The Jungle Book (2)

Movies without a loss and more than one win:
Beauty and the Beast (2)

Supercalifragilistic 16 record of songs from movies prior to 1987: 1/4

Supercalifragilistic 16 record of Oscar winners: 4/4 :open_mouth:

Unseeded songs still remaining:
Be Our Guest - Beauty and the Beast (technically; it should have been seeded)

Lowest seeded song still remaining:
Belle - Beauty and the Beast (9)

Ladies and gentlemen and Disney lovers of all ages and genders, onto the Enchanting Eight!

1 Seed: Let It Go – Frozen

vs

2 Seed: Can You Feel the Love Tonight – The Lion King

#1 Let It Go – Frozen vs. #2 Can You Feel the Love Tonight – The Lion King
  • #1 Let It Go – Frozen
  • #2 Can You Feel the Love Tonight – The Lion King
0 voters

1 Seed: Under the Sea – The Little Mermaid

vs

6 Seed: Friend Like Me – Aladdin

#1 Under the Sea – The Little Mermaid vs. #6 Friend Like Me – Aladdin
  • #1 Under the Sea – The Little Mermaid
  • #6 Friend Like Me – Aladdin
0 voters

9 Seed: Belle - Beauty and the Beast

vs

27 Seed: Be Our Guest - Beauty and the Beast

#9 Belle - Beauty and the Beast vs. #27 Be Our Guest - Beauty and the Beast
  • #9 Belle - Beauty and the Beast
  • #27 Be Our Guest - Beauty and the Beast
0 voters

1 Seed: When You Wish Upon a Star – Pinocchio

vs

7 Seed: Circle of Life - The Lion King

#1 When You Wish Upon a Star – Pinocchio vs. #7 Circle of Life - The Lion King
  • #1 When You Wish Upon a Star – Pinocchio
  • #7 Circle of Life - The Lion King
0 voters

After so many groups of 8 pairings of 16 songs, we now have, counting the above 4, only 8 more pairings remaining (as we’ll do a 3rd place matchup). Almost done.

My daughter in shambles about the encanto results

1 Like

Free Encanto! Bruno definitely deserved E8.

3 Likes

get outta here, pinocchio!

Only one I felt confident voting against. The rest are going to tear me apart. Ugh.

1 Like

Be our Guest is easily superior to Belle, IMO.

Aladdin vs Ariel is going to be a squeaker.

1 Like

I’ll feel this way in the next round, assuming all of the current leaders advance.

These four decisions were really easy for me.

1 Like

Right right right. These votes are going to get harder and harder.

In the early rounds, it’s easier for me to focus on whether I’m just mad a song got nominated in the first place LOL. But once we’re in the later rounds, who cares? I care which song in that bracket is best. For the final match ups to of course be between a bunch of legendary songs…

1 Like

I refuse to vote for either of these inferior songs out of protest.

1 Like

Have I finally met as dedicated a fan of Lefou as myself?