Flub-A-Blub-Blub, 5 Billionaires in a Sub

Oh look, idiot Elon might have a connection to this story too!

Ah, I missed that detail.

idk why everyone fixates on the controller. It’s a reliable commercial product that’s easy to replace. It’s the zero comms or emergency beacons that’s the real WTF.

1 Like

Yeah I don’t get it. Like even if you can’t have some direct beacon for a reason I don’t really understand seems like at very least could have like a dozen normal beacons they could Hansel and Gretel release to surface every 15 minutes if in distress and then some math gurus could calculate where they likely were released from

1 Like

Ok here a more general question I was wondering about. Say US military sub broke down on sea floor at that same spot. Is hoping to send a text message to a boat directly overhead really the only option they would have to seek help???

1 Like

If a US military sub broke down in that spot and started sinking, everyone onboard would be dead long before it reached the sea floor.

Subs go down a couple hundred meters, no where close to 4,000. Military has ultra low frequency radio but I don’t know how deep it works.

Pragmatically, why spend money on beacons when nothing can reach the depths you’re diving to? There are already multiple systems on board to float the thing, maybe they needed to add one that worked on a timer or a dead man switch?

A beacon would be nice because there is a chance the thing is floating at the surface, and everyone inside is slowly suffocating to death.

With that said, they’re probably all dead already, and it is not floating.

Good point guess my question is more precisely does the technology exist to communicate better with a submersible at that depth or this thing was actually top of the line of available tech

ETA also if the thing is “lost” doesn’t seem like that necessarily meant it was stuck on bottom of ocean right? Like it seems like stuff is reading like if current swept it 2 miles away at surface level they still didn’t have a way to track it?

1 Like

Yeah, no, your second part is absolutely correct. This thing could apparently be at the surface and they’re all still going to die because of the way it was designed and the fact that there is apparently no emergency beacon.

1 Like

this is so insane that it seems unbelievable

like, they didn’t consider the possibility that the sub popped up somewhere off course? It’s so dumb I didn’t even consider this as a possibility

2 Likes

Yeah I’m not sure, like you can buy a beacon for like 150 bucks so I hadn’t considered it. But then one of those journalists mentioned they had thought about beacon last time happened so I assumed that meant some fancy deep undersea beacon system but sounds like people saying that doesn’t exist or would be useless so makes me wonder what they were considering

Contingency plans are expensive and impracticable when you can only generate $1,000,000 per dive in revenue.

yes, that’s exactly what I htought when I read that as well. what the actual fuck

I gotta believe the US Navy wold be able to find even the crappiest signal beacon, it’s what they do.

355150663_10232627774056470_1675521738638796912_n

It seems to me like the rescue effort is going to be a titanic waste of taxpayer dollars.

3 Likes

But there’s so much sunk cost!

3 Likes

More please

I don’t know if I can float any more of these.

1 Like