Golf Thread: US Open at Pinehurst - RORY VS. ROIDS

CUT TO BROOKS

well done by rahm. there wasn’t a doubt from like hole 10 that he had this.

Our big beautiful Spanish baby boy

Missed the Brooks interview but I assume they didn’t ask him the question I want to hear at his presser, just to troll him:

Brooks, you faded down the stretch. Did that have anything to do with just playing 54 holes most weeks?

she asked sorta “what happened today” and he blamed it on “not catching any breaks” lol

1 Like

Figjam edges closer to Jack’s record for major championship runner-up finishes.

1 Like

Fuck I’m Greedy Just Ask Me

This

1 Like

Counterpoint: Koepka likes to play fast and it may have played a small role in him coming undone.

But generally speaking, yes.

and rahm took the opportunity to scarf down some sandwiches rather than get frustrated by it

Hope he got some pimento cheese sandwiches.

never forget when kevin na carded a 16 on a par 4 in the valero, all because he decided to hit out of the woods rather than hit another provisional.

best part is his club twirl on his approach shot (that doesn’t stay on the green)

1 Like

You’ve probably never heard of Cobbs Creek, but now you will. It’s one of the oldest munis in America, built about 20 years after the first one opened up in The Bronx. It was an amazing layout and design, even hosting a PGA Tour event. It was perhaps not on par with the heavy hitters in the area like Merion East, Aronomink, and Philadelphia Cricket Club, but it was close and it had a similar feel and design elements.

Now all that said, it was a tremendous piece of shit when I played it 8-10 years ago. The teeboxes were often rock solid, the greens looked like they were a week late for mowing, the fairway looked like the first cut except with patches of dirt and hardpan. The rough wasn’t really maintained at all, other than to cut it now and then so it didn’t get too deep. The greens were bumpy and there were divots, and patches without enough grass.

But on so many holes, if you just stood there and closed your eyes and imagined a version of the hole that was well manicured, with perhaps a few changes - like clearing some tees to move a teebox back to the hole kept up more with the modern game - you knew there was a masterpiece in there.

Gil Hanse is restoring it AND the adjacent nine hole track, and Tiger Woods is building a short course and a TGR Foundation Learning Lab. I can’t fucking wait to go play it when they’re done! They’re going to try to get it to PGA Tour level and get an event to come there, perhaps with a composite routing using holes from both courses - I assume because some of the Cobbs Creek holes will be stuck as short par 4’s for the public that are par 3’s for the tour. Like many great courses in the area, there isn’t enough space around it to lengthen it with the modern game.

This is also so huge for the area, it’s in West Philly in a not great area, and that Learning Lab is going to be huge for kids growing up there. For those who don’t know, Tiger’s Learning Labs (this is the second, the first is in Anaheim) don’t have much to do with golf. It’s about giving kids access to quality educational resources, with a focus on STEM learning, and getting them on a track to go to college and getting them scholarships.

So that’s huge, plus it’ll probably lead to more young golfers which will be great for the golf scene in Philly in a couple decades.

Tiger has little connection to the Philly area previously, but he looked up to Charlie Sifford, the first black golfer on Tour. In fact they were so close that he called him “Grandpa” and named his son Charlie after him. Sifford had to leave the South to be able to play prior to the Tour allowing black golfers, and at a time when black golfers couldn’t even play most (all?) courses in the South. So he headed North and when he got to Philadelphia, he was welcomed at Cobbs Creek, and the rest is history. So that’s a big part of why Tiger is doing this.

4 Likes

Lol golf. Blah. Blah blah. Some stupid rule that could or maybe should have been suspended but nahhh. Poor kid shoots the round of his life and then has to DQ himself.

his story doesn’t make sense. he would know they’re aerated and knew what he was doing repairing them, and for whatever reason guilt or fear overcame him.

oh, I know what probably happened, he knew what he was doing but didnt expect to shoot a course record, which probably opened more scrutiny on his round. idk. weird situation

Maybe he assumed there was a local rule allowing that until he heard others talk about difficulty putting on them

2 Likes

ah, yea, great point

1 Like

this is horrible but i hope brooks melts down again.